Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Senior Curmudgeon
627 Posts

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Just a FWIW: I load almost all of my 30-06 and .308 - including hunting rounds - to government and NATO .mil specs with whatever weight-appropriate bullets I'm loading. I do this for consistency between different loads and bullets. Especially in the case of '06, you can safely load considerably hotter than government specs, but I see little good return on the extra velocity. The standard '06 and .308 are plenty of medicine for anything on the North American continent. Before anyone comes back screaming that brown bears and polar bears need more punch, I'll humbly confess that in my thirty years in Mississippi, I've yet to be threatened by any polar bears.

Though I would never laugh at anyone's choice of weapon out of pure good manners, I do silently chuckle at the guys buying various magnum rifles to hunt the relatively fragile whitetails. I used to hunt a lot of wild pigs - including big boar hogs - which are a lot tougher to take down than whitetails. Pretty much any cartridge in the Main Battle Rifle class (to include things like 30-06, .308. 7.62x54, 8mm Mauser, etc.) are plenty to take down deer and pigs IF the rifleman does his part. If the rifleman doesn't do his part, even a .50 BMG ain't enough!

Best
Doc

1 - 14 of 14 Posts