Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chronographed some ammo over a week ago but just now getting around to posting it. Wanted to post results sinse I had some donar ammo from SGF and Stewbaby. Ammo was tested in a 1955 Garand with low barrel and throught errosion. Tempature was in the low 50s.
ES = extreme spread.

Lake City 1969 - Factory 2,491 fps 52 ES on 5 shots
Notes: mild presure signs on primer, still about 50% rounded on primer. Had one light primer strike that fired on second try.

Greek HXP 1962 - Factory 2,662 fps 67 EC on 3 shots
Notes: Lots of pressure signs on primer. primers were flattened to crimp area with very slight cratering on primer

Twin Cities TW 1943 Armor Piercing - Factory 2,672 fps 12 ES on 2 shots
Notes: Lots of pressure signs on primer. primers were flattened to crimp area with very slight cratering on primer

Loaded Ammo in Lake City brass 1969, H4895, Hornady 150 FMJBT, Seat Depth 3.180
# Rds Powder Wt Velocity ES Notes
5 44.0 2469 182 No pressure signs on primer
5 45.0 2571 150 No pressure signs on primer, slightly more flattening
3 46.0 2591 53 Some primer flattening ~ 60%, pressure OK

Thanks again to the ammo donors that made this possible. Doesn't look like I want to shot Greek surplus in my rifle and I will stike to H4895 in the 44.0 - 45.0 range after I check for accuracy.

·
Premium Member
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
M2 is the designation for 150 grain load for the garand. I'm trying to replicate the M2 load. The lake city and greek were M2 ammo. The AP is not. Supposedly the AP is 162 grain bullet that is loaded hotter than M2. No definite results here other than Greek and AP is hotter than the lake city which is consistent with internet lore and what captain expected i would find.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Loaded Ammo in Lake City brass 1969, H4895, Hornady 150 FMJBT, Seat Depth 3.180
# Rds Powder Wt Velocity ES Notes
5 44.0 2469 182 No pressure signs on primer
5 45.0 2571 150 No pressure signs on primer, slightly more flattening
3 46.0 2591 53 Some primer flattening ~ 60%, pressure OK

3.180? Just a little curious why so short? I'm running that same bullet at 3.310 in my Garands trying to get as close to the lands as possible for accuracy reasons. Also seating your bullet deeper will increase pressure.

·
Premium Member
6,251 Posts
3.180? Just a little curious why so short?...
Good catch, I passed over that OAL. Soonered, you crimping also? Getting the bullet out to the lands, I think MrSquirrel and I agree crimping isn’t needed and may also add some pressure.

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
I've never chronographed the greek, but my shoulder has told me it's pretty hot, especially in a 03.
Good luck in your quest.

·
Premium Member
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
3.180? Just a little curious why so short? I'm running that same bullet at 3.310 in my Garands trying to get as close to the lands as possible for accuracy reasons. Also seating your bullet deeper will increase pressure.
Checked my numbers but that is what I had it set at 3.180 which is at the cannalure. However, this is why I posted this. I'm new to reloading for the Garand. So, knowing you can seat it out quit a bit more and it still fit the magazine and cycle is useful.

Any comments are welcome. So, have you found that seating them further out has helped accuracy even thought they are still pretty far from the lands and not caused cycling issues? I wouldn't think length would create cycling problems given the way the rounds feed from the clip/magazine.

·
Premium Member
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Interesting, shot lots of HXP and never seen pressure issues. Mine also is most accurate at 46gr of 4895, I’ve not checked velocity. Maybe when it warms up.
Is this H4895 or IMR 4895? I'm using H4895 but lots of others seem to use IMR 4895. I've got lots of H4895 so that's what I'm developing a load for. From what I can tell from comparing load data in books, not actual experience, looks like IMR 4895 runs in the range of 1 grain more for the same pressure / velocity as H4895. I would say this could be lot variance but I looked at new and old books from different sources and IMR seems to have ever so slightly less energy per grain than H4895. Maybe someone more knowledgeable on these two powers will come along and either confirm or say that is "bunk".

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Just looked in my Hornady manual and it lists that bullet at 3.185 for Garand and regular 30-06. Also double checked my numbers against some milsurp M2. I'm loading same COL and .010 longer at the ogive.

·
Premium Member
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just looked in my Hornady manual and it lists that bullet at 3.185 for Garand and regular 30-06. Also double checked my numbers against some milsurp M2. I'm loading same COL and .010 longer at the ogive.
Yep that is the same book I have. I'm just .005 under the book on COL. Actually my COL ranges from 3.178 - 3.183 so I called it 3.180. Once I find what I want to shoot, I'll measure off the ogive as that is much better to keep records for replicating loads years from now.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Yep that is the same book I have. I'm just .005 under the book on COL. Actually my COL ranges from 3.178 - 3.183 so I called it 3.180. Once I find what I want to shoot, I'll measure off the ogive as that is much better to keep records for replicating loads years from now.
Your numbers are sound and safe. I just based my loads off measuring M2 ball dimensions. Also checked distance to my lands before I started working up loads, I can set that bullet way past mag length and still be off the lands in my Garands.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I saw that your ES went down as you increased charge weight. I don't own a crono, but I do know a low ES usually means more accurate load. The load in your test with the best ES you saw signs of high pressure. Seating bullet out farther should drop your start pressure some. I think you shouldn't be afraid to play with seating depth of that bullet as you work up your load. Just be sure to check how far out you can go before jamming into the lands.

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
This is totally OT but with either IMR4895 or H4895
as with other nominally similarly named such as H4350
or IMR4350 I've noticed similar single grain disparities
on loads, but I thought that Hodgdon had bought out
the facilities that produce the DuPont powder so I've
always wondered why they didn't consolidate the several
powders with similar names and publish entirely new
data on their use to eliminate accidental use of one
powder and the wrong data/manual.

Reactions: Soonered

·
Premium Member
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
This is totally OT but with either IMR4895 or H4895
as with other nominally similarly named such as H4350
or IMR4350 I've noticed similar single grain disparities
on loads, but I thought that Hodgdon had bought out
the facilities that produce the DuPont powder so I've
always wondered why they didn't consolidate the several
powders with similar names and publish entirely new
data on their use to eliminate accidental use of one
powder and the wrong data/manual.
Careful what you ask for...Hogdon has already dropped some powders of similar burn speeds even though different characteristics.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts