Mississippi Gun Owners banner

M48 Mauser stock question

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  swede62 
#1 ·
I have a M48a Mauser action that I need to do something with. I was thinking of building a 308 or 7mm08 for my wife to shoot. I need a stock to start off with, but I have not found many stocks that will fit the M48. That is where I need some help. Will a Mauser 98 stock fit the M48? I know they are both large ring, but I believe the action length is different. Does anyone have any experiance with the M48?

#3 ·
Not an expert by any means, but since nobody else is chiming in ......... I have an M48A, but I like the original stock, lol.

Hate to see a good milsurp rifle chopped up. Could always keep your Mauser original and by her a Model 7 youth gun or somesuch?? What's wrong with 8mm anyhow? :lol3:

#4 ·
I love how everytime someone mentions building a rifle off of a mauser action, you get a lecture on destroying a piece of history. :D I have 3 M48 rifles sitting at my FFL right now, but I also have 2 Mauser actions. I plan on shooting the rifles, and building play toys with the actions. Why build instead of buy? Because I enjoy tinkering with the guns as well as I do shooting them. I guess that is the engineer in me. Not to mention I can make them the way I want.

#5 ·
From what I have been reading the M48 is a Large ring Mauser with a intermediate length. So the receiver measures 1 3/8" like the large rings do, but the action screws are 7 5/8" Center To Center like the small ring Mausers. The normal large ring Mausers action screw are 7 7/8" center to center, so if I buy a normal Mauser stock the screw holes will not line up. I wonder if I can buy a small ring stock and just open up the frame index to fit?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.