·
Registered
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help me out. I don't know 1911s

Commander size
bobbed
9mm or maybe 357 sig

Who makes such a thing? I see Dan Wesson has the Guardian but, that thing is a little spendy.

·
I could only pick one, extra money, or guns.
4,904 Posts
Help me out. I don't know 1911s

Commander size
bobbed
9mm or maybe 357 sig

Who makes such a thing? I see Dan Wesson has the Guardian but, that thing is a little spendy.
Depends on what you want it for. In my opinion if you spend much more than $800 you're well into the realm of diminishing returns. I have owned a bunch of 1911s ranging from ATIs, Rock Island Armory's, Ruger's, Kimber's, and Colt's.

If you want my advice and you just want a 1911 to shoot around with, anything Rock Island makes is hard to beat.

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't need a race gun or a blingy custom. I'm just looking for reputable reliability that's not made in Turkey or South America. It must be a dependable shooter.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Everyone "needs" a 1911 :)

As for meeting all your criteria I'm not sure anyone does but you can meet most of them.
Commander
9mm

Springfield EMP
Kimber Pro Carry
Ruger SR1911
to name a few

Citadel makes a very nice 9mm 1911 (made by RIA but seems to be to higher standards that the RIA) but not sure it is available in a commander. As for bobtail; you can have any of these fitted with an Ed Brown bobtail for relatively cheap.

Reactions: steve2112

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
We've got 4 1911s and the newest one is a Turkish-made Tisas. It has become my favorite, a 70s series style 1911 that is the closest to a WW2 era 1911 I've found. Excellent parkerizing, machined steel parts, excellent reliability with everything I've run through it. And it's available for less than $500. If you just want a shooter this is what I recommend. If you're going to compete you can get a model from them with sights that are more visible - their base model, which I bought, has the small GI-type sights. But it's accurate and I carry mine around the property either in a Bianchi flap holster or a "tanker" chest rig, it's my companion while I'm out working.
If you're down in SW MS I could make arrangements for you to try the ones we have. Well, the most expensive one, a S&W custom shop, resides with the Lt. in FL, but you could certainly try the other 3.

·
Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.
23,786 Posts
Colt Commander and fit a bobtail yourself.

·
Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.
23,786 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,666 Posts
Those are all 5"and 45acp, he said Commander size and 9mm
ATI FX1911 GI 9MM LUGER 4.25" FS 9RD MATTE WOOD GRIP – ATI ATIGFX9GI

Out of stock at most online sites though.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I did a good bit of homework 10 yrs ago when i wanted a $500 1911. In the end it was a no brainer for me. Metro Arms Corp of Manilla was my choice. The Shooters Arms (sam) and Armscor brands were plenty good enough for a reliable solid shooter but the MAC 1911’s seemed to me to be a cut above. The tooling marks under slide were smoother and the fit and finish seemed almost perfect. It ate everything i fed it and never had an issue. The bluing was beautiful. No passive firing pin safety. If i had to say something negative about the metro 1911’s it would be that they put too much logo on side of slide. I like minimal writing on slide and they seem to use it as a billboard. The metro pistols were sold under the american classic brand but it seems like i read that they are importing under MAC label as well. Mine was stolen or i would still have it.

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
Tisas makes a 9mm and commander-sized versions. I recommend ordering from Centerfire Systems and KYGuns. Centerfire is very easy to deal with.There are others of course.
Again, the quality of Tisas (Turkey) is right up there with the Philippine mfg versions sold by everyone under brands from RIA to Springfield Armory. If you're old enough to remember the NORINCO 1911s, I'd compare the Tisas, on a quality/price ratio, to the NORINCOs of the 1980s.
Actually if you do some inflation calculations the Tisas are probably less expensive now than the Chinese 1911s were back then.

·
4,904 Posts
I will add that in my experience, the difference between a fullsize and a commander, from a carrying perspective, was negligible. The grip length and everything is fundamentally identical. Even the officers models I have owned were only marginally shorter as far as grip length goes. There are about a bagillion and a half versions and variants though, aluminum vs steel frame, even polymer framed versions. The best advice probably, if you plan on carrying it, especially concealed, is to go to as many local gun stores you can and just handle some of the different versions. Deciding which will best fit your needs would probably be easiest this way.

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
I will add that in my experience, the difference between a fullsize and a commander, from a carrying perspective, was negligible. The grip length and everything is fundamentally identical. Even the officers models I have owned were only marginally shorter as far as grip length goes. There are about a bagillion and a half versions and variants though, aluminum vs steel frame, even polymer framed versions. The best advice probably, if you plan on carrying it, especially concealed, is to go to as many local gun stores you can and just handle some of the different versions. Deciding which will best fit your needs would probably be easiest this way.
Agreed. If this is going to be an EDC pistol, handle as many 1911 variants / brands as you can, shoot as many as you can, and get really, really, really familiar with carrying a single-action pistol cocked and locked. The holster used is going to be a VITAL part of carrying a pistol in that condition.

·
4,904 Posts
Agreed. If this is going to be an EDC pistol, handle as many 1911 variants / brands as you can, shoot as many as you can, and get really, really, really familiar with carrying a single-action pistol cocked and locked. The holster used is going to be a VITAL part of carrying a pistol in that condition.
Holster is super important, I prefer the feel of leather against my body when I am carrying, and I own way too many for a 1911, but in the time I carried an officers model 1911, when I was in my house just seeing which one would do what I wanted to do the best, there was I bianchi IWB holster that I had just purchased, that would reliably move the safety to the down position when I walked or bent over or anything really. That was an accident waiting to happen if I hadn't done my due dilligence.

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
Yup the only time I carry a 1911 that is not open carry - which I generally only open carry on my own property, usually working on clearing brush, gardening, etc., it is not what I would ever consider a "carry" holster -see above reference to the military-issued Bianchi flap holster or "tanker" rig - but when I do carry a 1911 concealed it is in a pancake holster made for me by Big Rob, it conforms to my hip like I was born with it. I have no others that conform so well. Unless you're really good at spotting such things you would not notice I am carrying a full-sized 1911 even under nothing but a t-shirt. And it allows no wiggle, safety is so well covered it never moves.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts