Mississippi Gun Owners banner

Maybe I "need" a 1911

7K views 71 replies 23 participants last post by  John Harvey 
Colt Commander and fit a bobtail yourself.

Reactions: Trashy and 2A_1791
Commander was designed as a 9 mm not a 45acp or 38 Super

Well it was the companies first 9mm offering but was made in 45 and 38 super which came first?
9mm Army wanted a lighter pistol for officers. Requirement was it had to chambered in 9mm

That's interesting, and not that I doubt you, but I would like to read about that. Source? I just figured it was Colt's attempt to keep the 1911A1 platform "relevant" by reducing size so as to make it easier to carry.
Just a few sources.

Wiki
The pistol that would eventually be named the Colt Commander was Colt's Manufacturing Company's candidate in a U.S. government post-World War II trial to find a lighter replacement for the M1911 pistol that would be issued to officers. Requirements were issued in 1949 that the pistol had to be chambered for 9 mm Parabellum and could not exceed 7 inches in length or weigh more than 25 ounces.[2]
Candidates included Browning Hi-Power variants by Canada's Inglis and Belgium's Fabrique Nationale, and Smith & Wesson's S&W Model 39. Colt entered a modified version of their M1911 pistol that was chambered for 9 mm Parabellum, had an aluminum alloy frame, a short 4.25-inch barrel, and a 9-round magazine. In 1950, Colt moved their candidate into regular production. It was the first aluminum-framed large frame pistol in major production and the first Colt pistol to be originally chambered in 9 mm Parabellum. The first year's production included 45 ACP and 38 Super chamberings.[2]
In 1970, Colt introduced the all-steel "Colt Combat Commander", with an optional model in satin nickel. To differentiate between the two models, the aluminum-framed model was renamed the "Lightweight Commander".[2]

Shooting Illustrated

The Truth About Guns.

I don't, but I'm curious if that's the same company that imports Uberti SA Army Colt replicas? I believe that's what the local gun shop has. Seems like "Taylor" was part of the mfg / importer name, been a few weeks since I looked at it.
Ubertis are imported by Stoeger(both owned by Beretta) , Taylor & Company and Cimarron Arms Firearms.

So Taylor & Company is a part of Beretta?
No, Beretta just owns Stoeger and Uberti. Taylor and Cimarron just import Uberti pistols too and sell under their names.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.