Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
We've got 4 1911s and the newest one is a Turkish-made Tisas. It has become my favorite, a 70s series style 1911 that is the closest to a WW2 era 1911 I've found. Excellent parkerizing, machined steel parts, excellent reliability with everything I've run through it. And it's available for less than $500. If you just want a shooter this is what I recommend. If you're going to compete you can get a model from them with sights that are more visible - their base model, which I bought, has the small GI-type sights. But it's accurate and I carry mine around the property either in a Bianchi flap holster or a "tanker" chest rig, it's my companion while I'm out working.
If you're down in SW MS I could make arrangements for you to try the ones we have. Well, the most expensive one, a S&W custom shop, resides with the Lt. in FL, but you could certainly try the other 3.

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
Tisas makes a 9mm and commander-sized versions. I recommend ordering from Centerfire Systems and KYGuns. Centerfire is very easy to deal with.There are others of course.
Again, the quality of Tisas (Turkey) is right up there with the Philippine mfg versions sold by everyone under brands from RIA to Springfield Armory. If you're old enough to remember the NORINCO 1911s, I'd compare the Tisas, on a quality/price ratio, to the NORINCOs of the 1980s.
Actually if you do some inflation calculations the Tisas are probably less expensive now than the Chinese 1911s were back then.

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
I will add that in my experience, the difference between a fullsize and a commander, from a carrying perspective, was negligible. The grip length and everything is fundamentally identical. Even the officers models I have owned were only marginally shorter as far as grip length goes. There are about a bagillion and a half versions and variants though, aluminum vs steel frame, even polymer framed versions. The best advice probably, if you plan on carrying it, especially concealed, is to go to as many local gun stores you can and just handle some of the different versions. Deciding which will best fit your needs would probably be easiest this way.
Agreed. If this is going to be an EDC pistol, handle as many 1911 variants / brands as you can, shoot as many as you can, and get really, really, really familiar with carrying a single-action pistol cocked and locked. The holster used is going to be a VITAL part of carrying a pistol in that condition.

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
Yup the only time I carry a 1911 that is not open carry - which I generally only open carry on my own property, usually working on clearing brush, gardening, etc., it is not what I would ever consider a "carry" holster -see above reference to the military-issued Bianchi flap holster or "tanker" rig - but when I do carry a 1911 concealed it is in a pancake holster made for me by Big Rob, it conforms to my hip like I was born with it. I have no others that conform so well. Unless you're really good at spotting such things you would not notice I am carrying a full-sized 1911 even under nothing but a t-shirt. And it allows no wiggle, safety is so well covered it never moves.

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
My stable. All of them have never had a misfeed or malfunction, knock on wood. The Tisas (bottom) has become my "go-to" just because it's so plain, basic GI, forged steel, Series 70s, save for the slightly lowered ejection port, which is a good feature. I have owned Springfield Armory GI model and it was also great, but for the price, I consider the Tisas just as good quality, and a better bargain. Unless you have a thing about Turkish versus Philippine...
I realize the OP asked about 9mm but the .45ACP is so ubiquitous, so easy for parts, magazines, etc. that I think it has the advantage. Also the recoil impulse of the .45ACP vs. that of the 9mm NATO round is, in my experience, much more manageable. There is a big difference.
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
Everybody knows 38 Super is the caliber God and John Moses Browning intended for the 1911. Well, everybody but @rigrat. :p
Nope, .38 Super really became popular in countries that have laws prohibiting civilian ownership of military calibers. It wasn't even seriously considered as accurate enough in the 1911A1 for competition until Irv Stone ("Bar-Sto" barrels) made barrels that would support the headspacing on the case mouth. Of course now it's a favorite in race guns and John Wick I mean action pistol competitions, but I digress. ;)
.45 ACP is the raison d'etre ( my apoligies for the French, St. John Moses Browning, but you did so much work with FN, I assumed you won't mind too much...) for the 1911 and then the 1911A1. Go with it.

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
Commander was designed as a 9 mm not a 45acp or 38 Super
That's interesting, and not that I doubt you, but I would like to read about that. Source? I just figured it was Colt's attempt to keep the 1911A1 platform "relevant" by reducing size so as to make it easier to carry.

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
Any of y’all have experience with the Taylor’s & Company 1911s? They are an Armscor product, so I would guess they are on par with RIA/Citadel.
I don't, but I'm curious if that's the same company that imports Uberti SA Army Colt replicas? I believe that's what the local gun shop has. Seems like "Taylor" was part of the mfg / importer name, been a few weeks since I looked at it.

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
Oh, ok. Looking at some videos on YouTube, the Taylor 1911s look pretty solid, much like the RIA. I’m looking for one myself. Leaning toward Tisas GI, but this Taylor is a possibility now.
You're welcome to try my Tisas if the time & place is convenient for both of us. I got mine from Centerfire, transferred locally. By the time I paid the local transfer fee it cost me right at $500. Glad I have it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts