Mississippi Gun Owners banner
41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
μολὼν λαβέ
39,893 Posts
Heck a 9mm can be pushed right along side that holy grail 38 super you love ......

• Haha
Reactions: BasMstr

·
Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.
23,786 Posts
Commander was designed as a 9 mm not a 45acp or 38 Super

·
μολὼν λαβέ
39,893 Posts
LOL, mad better things in life to get mad at. We all have different likes and dislikes.

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
That's interesting, and not that I doubt you, but I would like to read about that. Source? I just figured it was Colt's attempt to keep the 1911A1 platform "relevant" by reducing size so as to make it easier to carry.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
39,893 Posts
Well it was the companies first 9mm offering but was made in 45 and 38 super which came first?

·
23,786 Posts
Well it was the companies first 9mm offering but was made in 45 and 38 super which came first?
9mm Army wanted a lighter pistol for officers. Requirement was it had to chambered in 9mm

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Everybody knows 38 Super is the caliber God and John Moses Browning intended for the 1911. Well, everybody but @rigrat. :p
Sorry; 38 super (as great as the caliber is) was an after thought. JMB worked on the 1911 for over a decade and from the very beginning he designed the action around the 45.

Hah, If that had been the caliber that God and John Browning intended he wouldn't have made it in 45 to begin with.
But hey your delusion can be treated with counseling. ;) :LOL:
The 45 or larger caliber was part of the military trial requirements. Lessons learned in the Philippines (size really does matter). Hence even the Lugers were submitted in 45.

Heck a 9mm can be pushed right along side that holy grail 38 super you love ......
Not sure in what reality a 9mm case has the same capacity as a 38 super case; but I promise (watered down loading manuals aside) a 9mm can NOT keep pace with a 38 super.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
Sorry; 38 super (as great as the caliber is) was an after thought. JMB worked on the 1911 for over a decade and from the very beginning he designed the action around the 45.

The 45 or larger caliber was part of the military trial requirements. Lessons learned in the Philippines (size really does matter). Hence even the Lugers were submitted in 45.

Not sure in what reality a 9mm case has the same capacity as a 38 super case; but I promise (watered down loading manuals aside) a 9mm can NOT keep pace with a 38 super.
Happy Gesture Sharing Font Photo caption

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Although 4 companies entered submissions 2 were quickly eliminated, and only the Colt and the Savage were ever serious contenders.

EDIT: Okay well that is only a small piece of what actually happened.

After the success of the Broom Handle Mauser the military was fairly convinced they wanted a "modern" hand gun and was hevily leaning toward a semi-automatic. There were actually 20 guns submitted; revolvers semi-autos and even a automatic revolver. The military only seriously considered 4 entrants, all semi-auto. Of those many of the time suggested that 2 of those entries were considered only as to seemingly make things seem fair and unbiased. The 2 serious contenders were Colt and Savage. The Savage did well in the trials but was ultimately edged out by the Colt submission. The trials actually started in 1907 (late, were actually supposed to start in 1906) and the Colt was officially adopted in 1911.

Reactions: rigrat and bubbat

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
The tilting barrel action of the 1911 was revolutionary and has formed the basis of almost every semi-auto handgun action ever since. Obviously there are exceptions (Walther, Berreta etc mostly blowback actions) but probably more than 90% of semi-auto handguns today are based on JMBs tilting barrel design. So when I hear people talk about the 1911 being an archaic design, I have to laugh. It IS the basis of most modern pistols out there today. Without it; none of them would exist.

Reactions: 2A_1791 and HerrZnk

·
23,786 Posts
That's interesting, and not that I doubt you, but I would like to read about that. Source? I just figured it was Colt's attempt to keep the 1911A1 platform "relevant" by reducing size so as to make it easier to carry.
Just a few sources.

Wiki
The pistol that would eventually be named the Colt Commander was Colt's Manufacturing Company's candidate in a U.S. government post-World War II trial to find a lighter replacement for the M1911 pistol that would be issued to officers. Requirements were issued in 1949 that the pistol had to be chambered for 9 mm Parabellum and could not exceed 7 inches in length or weigh more than 25 ounces.[2]
Candidates included Browning Hi-Power variants by Canada's Inglis and Belgium's Fabrique Nationale, and Smith & Wesson's S&W Model 39. Colt entered a modified version of their M1911 pistol that was chambered for 9 mm Parabellum, had an aluminum alloy frame, a short 4.25-inch barrel, and a 9-round magazine. In 1950, Colt moved their candidate into regular production. It was the first aluminum-framed large frame pistol in major production and the first Colt pistol to be originally chambered in 9 mm Parabellum. The first year's production included 45 ACP and 38 Super chamberings.[2]
In 1970, Colt introduced the all-steel "Colt Combat Commander", with an optional model in satin nickel. To differentiate between the two models, the aluminum-framed model was renamed the "Lightweight Commander".[2]

Shooting Illustrated

The Truth About Guns.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
39,893 Posts
Who knows bet it will run pretty close in 9+P+ which runs approx 42500psi as opposed to the 38 supers 36500psi.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Who knows bet it will run pretty close in 9+P+ which runs approx 42500psi as opposed to the 38 supers 36500psi.
9mm +P+ tops out at about 1300 fps; 38 super on the other hand can exceed 1500 fps. Pretty significant difference. Honestly given the history of the 38 super and the guns that it is forced to support due to it's age, it has VERY conservative specs; in a 1911 I think 36500 can be pushed. If someone like an Elmer Keith came a along and pushed the envelope a bit I think 1700+fps is in the realm of possibility. I don't see why the cases wouldn't stand up to the same pressures as the 9mm +P+; certainly the barrels / chambers would.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts