McHenry Range Time

Discussion in 'South Mississippi' started by Sonny H, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Sonny H

Sonny H Big Bore Shooter

Anyone going to McHenry on Friday? Thinking about heading up, have to redo my membership, then plink some steel at 200 yards. Anyone?

phillipd likes this.
  2. TwangBanger

TwangBanger Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I've never been there. I live in Gulfport, but belong to CRPC, so I usually go there. I'd like to check it out. What time are you going?

3. Sonny H

Sonny H Big Bore Shooter

I like CPRC, but can't dole out the membership there. Might head up there around 1230/1300 timeframe. Get off work at 11.

righttoown likes this.
  4. TwangBanger

TwangBanger Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I've been at CRPC for about 15 years now. The yearly dues is just something I budget for.

I am the music minister for a church, so I mainly work on Sundays (all day) & Wednesdays (afternoon) - that leaves plenty of time for me to shoot, and I usually go several time a week. I feel like I more than get my money's worth.

I've thought about joining McHenry, but the limited hours is what has stopped me. They're only open 4 days a week -- and one of those days is Sunday, when I couldn't go anyway -- so I could only utilize the range on 3 days. And even then only between 10 AM and 6 PM.

At CRPC I have a key to the gate, and can come & go as I please, 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. We even have lighted skeet fields for shooting at night.

Even so, I'm always looking for new places to shoot, so I'll probably check it out. My wife will be leaving Friday around 3:30 PM for a weekend trip to pick up our grandson, so he can stay a few days with us, so I'll need to be back home by then to see her off. The McHenry range isn't that far from my house, so I'll probably see you out there.

Do they have gongs (for rifles), plate racks, dueling trees, etc (for pistols)? Or do I need to bring my own targets?

5. Vick

Vick Distinguished Poster

Wish I could meet up with y'all there, but I'll be on my way to Karen's family reunion in Alabama. Y'all have fun and tell Chris (Chawk here) that I said "Hi"!

6. Leadburner

Leadburner Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Yea. Tell Chawk to get back on here & say hello every now and then. :)

phillipd, BasMstr, CajunBP and 2 others like this.
  7. Sonny H

Sonny H Big Bore Shooter

They have a plate, smaller plate with a flip target and then some other steel at 200 yards, you can always bring your own stuff. Pistol, I don't ever really go to pistol side, or middle rifle range. I stay on the far left, banging steel with the 308 and the AK. I might need to check the sighting on my Mini 14 before I go long. We will see.

Mesquite likes this.
  8. Mesquite

Mesquite Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

They don't allow steel on pistol range & everyone has to shoot from same distance : that's the Big down side to Pistol range.

TwangBanger likes this.
  9. Vick

Vick Distinguished Poster

They have made the pistol range so that everybody shoots from the same line, but targets can be put at 7, 15, and 25 yards. I think longer range shooting could be arranged if no one else was shooting on the pistol range, or they would let you shoot long-range pistol on the first rifle range (50 yards and greater).

Mesquite likes this.
  10. Sonny H

Sonny H Big Bore Shooter

Had a great day. Lit off about 200 rounds, between .22 and .308. It was hot. Almost too hot, but I "forced" myself to stay and shoot. Wasn't very busy, few AR types, some .22 bolts and some pistols. Between my AK-47 and AR-10, I think I had the largest (loudest) calibers there today.

phillipd, BasMstr and Mesquite like this.
  11. Mesquite

Need to drift over, Been meaning to take Grandsons for some sport clay

phillipd likes this.
  12. Sonny H

Sonny H Big Bore Shooter

Also, saw one guy on the archery range.

phillipd likes this.
  13. phillipd

phillipd Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

columbus
    I really like McHenry. Its a very nice range. Only thing I don't like besides how far away it is are the blinds they installed in front of the rifle range. I hate those but understand why they are there. Where did chawk go? Haven't seen him in a while.

14. Col Williamson

Col Williamson Distinguished Poster

There was a good crowd the this past Saturday. I go about once a month to plink around

phillipd likes this.
  15. Mesquite

I have the annual membership;but haven't made it over there lately. My group friends in town & I have been going to PSC lately, carrying variety of weapons, easier for us to shoot together ,without being spread out.
    actually think mine has expired, need to renew

phillipd likes this.
  16. Col Williamson

I like it down there only thing I wish they had is a sporting clay setup

phillipd likes this.
  17. Mesquite

Have you checked out the one on lake, it throws from nearly full 360 range(as I understand), with you at stations on the Deck platform

phillipd and BasMstr like this.
  18. BasMstr

BasMstr Distinguished Poster

It IS very nice

phillipd and Mesquite like this.
  19. Col Williamson

Yeah I have but it's not as good as shooting sporting clays at turcotte