Military Member CCW

Discussion in 'Mississippi Concealed Carry' started by GH1990, May 12, 2018.

1. GH1990

GH1990 Member

I have a question in regards to CCW. I'm active duty military and have a Michigan Concealed Pistol License that expires July 26, 2018. I will be moving/stationed in Mississippi in the coming month. Dont plan on getting a Mississippi Drivers License. What requirements/process do i need to go through to be able to conceal carry in Mississippi? Do I need to live in the state for 12 months or is this an instant thing i have a right to carry!?

2. GunnyGene

GunnyGene Distinguished Poster

Here's the rules for obtaining a permit, but you should know that MS does not require a permit for carry, concealed or otherwise. It's strictly voluntary. Although there are some benefits to obtaining a permit, especially if you get the Enhanced Carry (IC) sticker.

Military/Retired Law Enforcement | Mississippi Department of Public Safety

We passed a law in 2016 (HB786) that rescinded the requirement to have a CCW.

See this: § 45-9-101. License to Carry Concealed Pistol or Revolver | Mississippi Department of Public Safety

3. GH1990

GH1990 Member

Thank you for the information. Just to clarify, for me to conceal carry without a permit, "constitutional carry", all I need is have active duty orders that place me in Mississippi. I wrote the local department on what the law is for me and they never wrote me back...

Cliff731 likes this.
  4. GunnyGene

GunnyGene Distinguished Poster

You don't even need orders unless you want a permit. MS doesn't distinguish between residents and visitors regarding permitless carry. Just be aware that there are several categories of places you can't carry. Those are identified in the second link in my previous reply.

You'll like it here. :) Btw, where will you be stationed? I live right close to CAFB (Columbus), and we get a lot of AF wanna be pilots thru there. If that's where you'll be, I can point you to some good ranges, and gun shops in the area that give military a 10% discount.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  5. GH1990

GH1990 Member

Ill be over in Vicksburg. Im in Rhode Island now and the right to carry is extremely tight, so i don't here. I know some military guys that got denied even though they can carry here.

Cliff731 likes this.
  6. Quickeye

Quickeye Vietnam&PersianGulf Wars MSGO Supporter

You might want to relax your thinking regarding not getting a MS drivers license and plates. Out of state plates sure draws attention.
    If you re-up while you're here you can change your HOR(Home of Record), which might net you some cash, depending on where you go next.

If you're a commissioned officer, Engineer Branch, can't help you as I know different rules apply. You guys make so much money with pay and allowances you, can buy your own airlines. LOL:)

Welcome and enjoy your stay!

Cliff731 and 22lrfan like this.
  7. GH1990

GH1990 Member

Yeah its hard to let go of the michigan military tax exemption. Lol!

Cliff731 and Jarhead5811 like this.
  8. Quickeye

You'll be exempt here too! ETA: From State income tax; tax for tag is based on value of your registered vehicle.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    GH1990 likes this.
  9. Jarhead5811

Jarhead5811 Rational Anarchist MSGO Supporter

Since when? I paid Mississippi state income tax the whole time I was on active duty.

Cliff731 likes this.
  10. Quickeye

'Cause you were a resident.

ETA: Non-resident active mil. pay in their Home of Record state.

11. Quickeye

I Retired from active duty in 93 when it was still MS State Tax Commission and the rules/laws may have changed since then, but after I retired in1993 military retired pay is totally exempt.

94LEVERFAN, Blondie70 and Jarhead5811 like this.