Mississippi Firearm Permit Application Question?

Discussion in 'Mississippi Concealed Carry' started by John Taylor, Apr 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. John Taylor

John Taylor Full Poster

Just a quick question, do I need to disclose a careless driving conviction from over five years ago on my firearm permit application? It does not show up on my mvr, thanks!

2. dzavoina

dzavoina Distinguished Poster

Was this a felony conviction?

John Taylor likes this.

3. John Taylor

John Taylor Full Poster

No.

4. dzavoina

5. John Taylor

John Taylor Full Poster

6. dzavoina

This is the state law where it states what is required to obtain a CCW permit.
    Its written in lawyer-eze, so take that into account.
    I'm not a lawyer, so I'm not going to give legal advice, you'll have to determine yourself if you are eligible.

Mesquite, mascott and John Taylor like this.
  7. John Taylor

John Taylor Full Poster

I do not think my situation would disqualify me from applying.

8. Jarhead5811

Jarhead5811 Rational Anarchist MSGO Supporter

I believe you are correct.

Mesquite, para40 and John Taylor like this.
  9. John Taylor

John Taylor Full Poster

I am going to not disclose the careless driving on my firearm permit application, wish me luck, if anyone thinks this is a bad idea please let me know.

Jarhead5811 likes this.
  10. bubbat

bubbat Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.

Clinton
    If you can get a permit with a misdemeanor domestic abuse conviction that's over 3yrs old I don't think a careless driving conviction that 5yrs is gonna matter. nor does it matter at all. JMHO

Mesquite, John Taylor and Jarhead5811 like this.
  11. John Taylor

John Taylor Full Poster

My major concern is the matter of disclosing it since I don't want my application to be rejected for failure to disclose anything important on my record.

Jarhead5811 likes this.
  12. DEADEYE 1

DEADEYE 1 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

It has been years since I filled out the Concealed Weapons Permits, but I have bought quite a few guns. It asks if you have ever been convicted of a felony? Convicted of stalking. If I am not mistaken, the traffic violations go off your record every few years. Besides , they take your fingerprints after the written part.Good luck.

13. bubbat

Clinton
    No where in the law, that I can find, says you have to disclose traffic violations. Do you disclose it on a 4477 when you buy a gun.
    Easiest way to find out for sure is ask the MPH.

14. John Taylor

John Taylor Full Poster

I never had to disclose traffic violations when buying a gun in any store I've been to, I will see about calling them today to get an answer.

bubbat and Jarhead5811 like this.
  15. bubbat

Clinton
    If misdemeanor convictions for traffic violations barred you from owning guns I wouldn't have been able to my whole life...LOL

Redlick83, fordpkup and John Taylor like this.
  16. John Taylor

John Taylor Full Poster

No no no, I am just worried they will reject my application if i don't disclose it is all haha

17. gutdoc

gutdoc Distinguished Poster

What does the question say? I can’t remember. Does it say, Have you been convicted of any...?

John Taylor likes this.
  18. John Taylor

John Taylor Full Poster

Question 8 on the application asks have you ever been found guilty of, or entered a plea of guilty or nolo contendere to any criminal / felony charge?
    So I made the post to see if careless driving would apply to this.

19. gutdoc

gutdoc Distinguished Poster

I just couldn’t remember the wording. A friend had a similar situation and was advised to always answer yes by MHP. If you’re applying for the MS BAR do the same. They frown on the thought of you hiding something. FWIW, I had told him to check no, but he called them and was told the opposite. Not the first time conflicting info has come out of that place.

JMHO

Jarhead5811 likes this.
  20. John Taylor

John Taylor Full Poster

Would I need court documents or just write down I was convicted of careless driving on the application?