Mississippi Gun Owners banner
141 - 160 of 216 Posts
S.W.G.C.JBMIII said:
No reason for a 3rd in this state, or maybe because, Magnolia wants one.......?
Magnolia has nothing to do with it. We have enough on our hands just to manage what we do have ... Just may be there are folks in the Central area that would rather not drive the distances associated with the other two ... I am one of those ... with the cost of gas, lodging, reloading - I would love to have something local ...

captain-03 said:
S.W.G.C.JBMIII said:
Magnolia has nothing to do with it. We have enough on our hands just to manage what we do have ... Just may be there are folks in the Central area that would rather not drive the distances associated with the other two ... I am one of those ... with the cost of gas, lodging, reloading - I would love to have something local ...
Amen, well said captain.

S.W.G.C.JBMIII said:
I do hope for the best for status 120331.Unlike some might think.....
Mississippi has "2" NRA sanctioned ranges people are welcome to shoot and should support.

Pascagoula, has a 1000 and 600 yard range, up and running.
Next shoot will be 5-25-13.

DeSoto, has a 600 and carriers should be going up this month for the 1000 yard range.They are up and running.

To whom it my concern..... :idk:

:crazy:

S.W.G.C.JBMIII said:
Pascagoula, has a 1000 and 600 yard range, up and running.
Next shoot will be 5-25-13.
When is the next across the course high power or mid range prone matches? I don't see any on the calendar. I also attended their annual meeting and heard the discussion about needing $50k for berm work and that was very much outside their budget.

S.W.G.C.JBMIII said:
I've over 50 people willing to throw down $300 just to try to get something off the ground, so apparently there are 50+ to 1 that think central Miss needs another range and if I ever come across a suitable piece of land and can find a way to pay for it, we will get it done.

Magnolia is land locked, I asked the surrounding property owners myself and their board is mainly pistol shooters, not that there's anything wrong with that, but I'm stating that to let you know the club president has no idea what high power, f-class, mid range is about, who shows up or what facilities are needed. On my initiative I investigated property adjoining Magnolia. The far east side past 300 yards is an old oxbow lake so even if the land owner would sell it there would have to be an elevated road to the 600, swamp draining, and tree cutting. This isn't like the old post WWII days when they would send the Corps of Engineers out to build one on the taxpayer's dime. The rest of the property South of Magnolia is owned by a man that does not like the gun range, lives back there, and has spent a lot of effort developing the property into private hunting land. In other words, NOT FOR SALE.

There is a piece of suitable property somewhere, we just have to find it. There have been many more supportive property owners than I ever thought, but the land is just not right, and I'm not being picky, but to be safe there needs to be nothing downrange (aka a safety fan) for 3 miles to be totally safe, free and clear of any possibility of a bullet leaving the range causing personal or property damage. Doug once put it to me that up in yankee land it's easier to find land because down here we are fond of building a house in the middle of a pine thicket off the beaten track. Up North, they don't do that because they don't want to have to deal with clearing miles of snow to get out of the house.

My plan now is to contact the heads of other ranges that have things within 3 miles and learn what they do, provided it isn't relying on luck. I heard of a range in Lafayette, Louisiana that was closed because someone claimed they caught a round in the wheel of their car, even though no one was at the range that day. We cannot go through the process of building a range to have something similar shut it down. There is also the question of urban sprawl invading the safety fan.

:crazy: come on Don, we all know that. Captain-03 was the response I was kinda lookin' for,he knew what was up with my posting. Yea, but they are a bunch of pistol shooters...Right Phillip?
Thats not the way I see it...

Without the support of a major club....MLRS is dead in the water.

As for PSC we have quarterly meetings. Phillip you have not been by there in over a year...and not since i've been working their.You are highly misinformed on our status,Why is that ? Maybe you should ask Doug. I have people who can run a Highpower match "if needed", F Class is my priority.

S.W.G.C.JBMIII said:
:crazy: come on Don, we all know that. Captain-03 was the response I was kinda lookin' for,he knew what was up with my posting. Yea, but they are a bunch of pistol shooters...Right Phillip?

As for PSC we have quarterly meetings. Phillip you have not been by there in over a year...and not since i've been working their.You are highly misinformed on our status,Why is that ? Maybe you should ask Doug. I have people who can run a Highpower match "if needed", F Class is my priority.
Sounds like you want it to fail??? I'm all for it and will help when I can and there is nothing wrong with pistol shooters. We will need our CQB people before we know it.

S.W.G.C.JBMIII said:

It's needed. Run it.

S.W.G.C.JBMIII said:
:crazy: come on Don, we all know that. Captain-03 was the response I was kinda lookin' for,he knew what was up with my posting.
Sorry, but I have NO idea what response you were looking for??? .... and certainly do not know what "was up" with your post ...... I do not know you or anything about you.

S.W.G.C.JBMIII said:
Yea, but they are a bunch of pistol shooters...Right Phillip?
Thats not the way I see it... Without the support of a major club....MLRS is dead in the water.
I really do not see what a major club could offer -- unless it is property ..... I do not count this group of guys out ... why do you wany you want to put them down or pour cold water on the issue? If you are not interested in supporting the concept, it would probably be beneficial to all if you just let it be.

S.W.G.C.JBMIII said:
As I recall, you trekked all the way to Rankin Co to look at one proposed sight and give your 2 cents on how it should be done. I don't remember you telling anyone present there were enough 600 yard ranges when you were determining who should be a member of the new club.

No.. :F1: ..I support(for whats it's worth). I'm looking for action on the subject.

Don't mind me,I'm :crazy:

I feel another clubs support is what is needed.

For those who don't know... I'm going through the process of replacing 2 berms at a cost of 39k (just for materials).Having the land,carriers and a range that are already built...
It's a hard and thankless job...

15k from 50 people, Is not gonna get it done.
When there is a will, there is a way... :thumbup:

As for my post...I have gotten the attended effect..."if" at the expense of my credibility. :tophat: It just doesn't really matter. Just a few understand,what it takes to get it done...

Those are the people you need to find..........Taking risk, is what is needed,not playing it safe.
I was told by "your" club members...My help was not needed.

jbpmidas said:
One in the central part of the state would be a great benefit to those shooters. The closest for me is 2-1/2 hours. For some folks it's even further. 2 isn't enough to keep the sport growing in Mississipi!
I've only read the last few pages of this thread, and this one caught my eye. I totally agree with jbpmidas, not based on opinion, but from experience. While living on the coast, working for the Biloxi National Guard and shooting on two rifle teams (4 Position Smallbore Indoor & State Guard HP Team), there were four 600 yard ranges in Mississippi - to my knowledge. They were Pascagoula, Camp Shelby, and Camp McCain then for some time - the Mississippi Law Enforcement Academy in Pearl. And I shot on all four of these ranges at one time or another. Now, it's down to two ranges. This is a sad state of affairs for those wanting to shoot and/or compete @ 600 yards. There's virtually no where in close proximity to train at 600 yards. I know what it's like to want to shoot @ 600 and have to drive several hours then drive or fly out of state and shoot in competition @ 600 yards with no regular practice at 600. If in fact, a 600 yard range materializes in central Mississippi then I will consider throwing my hat in the ring and shoot the mid range prone. But, and not being negative, it's going to be difficult to materialize.

Anschutz said:
S.W.G.C.JBMIII said:
No.. :F1: ..I support(for whats it's worth). I'm looking for action on the subject.

I feel another clubs support is what is needed.
Wrong Again. :F1:
:idk: Sure we will see, :funny: how things have changed. Phillip has what it takes....I'm not a hater.(just not :affraid:) :evil:
Don't think I won't throw down monies to shoot at a new range.........
Yes....good news :2tup:

Nice place, I think it would be good out to 1000 shooting down hill a little and the impact area would be the foot of a hill. There is road access to both ends of the property. I have not identified the exact property lines either, I drew this from a general description from the land owner, Don will be able to get it right. It is between I-55 exits 72 and 68, Crystal Springs is on the other side of the highway.

330 acres x $2800 = $924,000

141 - 160 of 216 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.