Mississippi Gun Owners banner

Mobile Alabama gun show

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  pathman 
#1 ·
I'm heading to Mobile for a gun show this weekend. Any problems buying in Alabama as a MS resident?

#4 ·
Do not buy any firearms from a citizen of another State. It is a Federal Felony. You can buy long arms from a dealer but not handguns. It is against Federal Law to buy a firearm of any kind from a private citizen of another State. Do not let a friend from the other State buy for you and transfer to you. This is a straw sale and it is also illegal.

You would be liable for a prison sentence and loss of gun rights.

Doug Bowser

#5 ·
Doug Bowser said:
Do not buy any firearms from a citizen of another State. It is a Federal Felony. You can buy long arms from a dealer but not handguns. It is against Federal Law to buy a firearm of any kind from a private citizen of another State. Do not let a friend from the other State buy for you and transfer to you. This is a straw sale and it is also illegal.

Doug Bowser
Thanks for the info. Sounds like I should just go and have fun, maybe not plan on buying and jumping through all the hoops.

#6 ·
Doug Bowser said:

Doug Bowser
I was thinking the same thing, but wasn't sure enough to question the second poster. Figured someone in the know would come along and straighten things out. I'd hate to see anyone catch a ton of grief over misinformation. I've had people offer and ask to do out of state transfers without the aid of an FFL, but always declined to do so. I'm sure some individual in a gun show parking lot would probably sell to you without asking any questions, but it's simply not worth it, especially in AL with all the horror stories I've heard about folks catching grief from taking their own guns to a competition. I've heard several stories about having to get attorneys involved just to get their own guns back. I can only imagine what it would be like to actually be in the wrong.

That said, if you did happen to find the deal of the century while there, you can still buy the gun. You just need to make prior arrangements with your FFL to handle the transfer. Hopefully, the dealer you buy from is trustworthy, though, because you'll be paying for the gun and shipping before you leave. That dealer will ship the gun to your FFL and you'll pick it up from him after the paperwork is done. Happens all the time, but only legally with the involvement of 2 FFLs.

#9 ·
As usual --- Mr. Doug is totally correct on this issue!!

#12 ·
Pathman - check out ATF 5300.4 - page 176 - B. Unlicensed persons. Paragraph B1 & B2 will provide you with written verification.
But the answer to your question is you can only purchase long guns, face to face, from a licensed dealer at his shop or gun show location. You can not purchase any firearm from an individual out of state, face to face. It must be shipped to a dealer in your home state.

I like to provide a source for the answer. Thats the Training NCO in me.

Travis

#13 ·
Travarmy said:
Pathman - check out ATF 5300.4 - page 176 - B. Unlicensed persons. Paragraph B1 & B2 will provide you with written verification.
But the answer to your question is you can only purchase long guns, face to face, from a licensed dealer at his shop or gun show location. You can not purchase any firearm from an individual out of state, face to face. It must be shipped to a dealer in your home state.

I like to provide a source for the answer. Thats the Training NCO in me.

Travis
Thanks for the info, always good to be informed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.