Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone bought and used the monarch 100 rd pack that Academy is selling? It's steel ammo. Dirty? Bad for the rifle??? Opinions are welcomed!

·
Registered
10,817 Posts
For use in??? For use in .223 AKs (Polish Archer, WASR2, Arsenal) steel case is fine (they're designed for/around it). For use in an AR, it can be problematic. I have read that the Monarch steel cased stuff is probably made by Barnaul and can either be lacquer coated or poly coated.

·
Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.
21,482 Posts
What about the steel cased ammo?
If it's the lacquer coated I would pass on it, after 2-3 rounds it wouldn't even eject from a Handi Rifle. Poly coated should be ok.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Test it to see if it works and/or is accurate in your rifle.

I bought a bunch a few years ago when it was on sale, and it is reliable enough that I use it in 3-gun matches when I don't want to pick up brass. No problem with it so far. ( I wish I could say the same about Winchester Super-X shotgun ammo.)

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For use in??? For use in .223 AKs (Polish Archer, WASR2, Arsenal) steel case is fine (they're designed for/around it). For use in an AR, it can be problematic. I have read that the Monarch steel cased stuff is probably made by Barnaul and can either be lacquer coated or poly coated.

AR 15

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I have shot some never had a problem. I actually used to have an AR that was surprisingly accurate with it. I say if it's cheap enough then buy it. I wouldn't pay full price unless you have to have it rite now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts