Mississippi Gun Owners banner

Which Monocular?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, looking at getting a monocular to take to Parris Island next month for Bobcat's graduation. A couple friends have already told me that the viewing stands aren't real close.These are the two that I was looking at (got some BPS gift cards to cover the cost). After graduation, it will go in the hunting pack. Looking for everybody's input.

THE PRO'S:
Vortex - lifetime warranty, really good reputation
Pursuit - on sale, so I can get two (one for wife, one for me). If I get two, one can go in the hunting back, one can go in the "go bag"

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,072 Posts
No experience with either; but, two for one speaks to me.

Reactions: BasMstr

·
Premium Member
6,812 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
If you are around Brandon I have binoculars you can borrow.

Also. You may have already heard this, but if you go the morning of graduation to see the Moto run, it will be dark. It is hard for your son to pick you out of the crowd as you run by. We saw other parents that made signs with battery operated Christmas lights. Really stood out. Wish we would have had something like that!

·
Registered
11,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
11,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you are around Brandon I have binoculars you can borrow.

Also. You may have already heard this, but if you go the morning of graduation to see the Moto run, it will be dark. It is hard for your son to pick you out of the crowd as you run by. We saw other parents that made signs with battery operated Christmas lights. Really stood out. Wish we would have had something like that!
Appreciate the offer (I'm on the coast). The MOTO run is scheduled for 0700 on Thursday morning, not sure we'll be getting there that early. Already told Bobcat that we WILL NOT be getting a banner - don't want to embarrass him. :)

Friday morning, we'll have to get there REALLY early - morning colors isn't until 0745, but traffic will be a beast getting on base. Graduation is from 0900 - 1000, then he grabs the last of his gear and back to the hotel so we can change (he's not allowed to travel in his uniform, and I don't feel like traveling in mine) and hit the road!

·
Registered
11,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’d make sure what is allowed. I’d also get binoculars and mounted on a like a selfie stick. I’d also get two haha!! Don’t forget to make a MSGO video!!
Another reason I thought about the monocular - figure it would be easier to use with my iPhone to shoot a video.

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
13,673 Posts
Go with the binoculars. You'll have zero regrets. Easier on your eyes and better viewing too.

There's likely "accessory" camera lens adapters to specifically fit onto your iPhone for such video shooting.

Amazon is your friend here... :)

·
Registered
11,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I thought morning colors was always at 0800? It was on the bases I worked on. Being an MP I’d know because we always raised and lowered the flag at base headquarters.

Evening colors is always at sunset, BTW.
They have it on the schedule as 0745 to 0800. I'm guessing that's so people will get there early.

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
13,673 Posts
And I definitely would choose binocular‘s over a monocular.
Yep... field of vision is much better, which is critically important. Adjusted correctly, both eyes essentially "see" the same image.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts