Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
15,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Announced in the Monroe Journal today. Sorry no link available.

So, I reckon Monroe County is now fully prepared for an invasion of something or other. Y'all watch out. :lol4:

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
I dont really agree with law enforcement acquiring these vehicles, but Rankin County has used theirs several times in the past couple years to rescue people in flooded areas most other vehicles could not get to.
Where? The only time I saw that money pit wet, the water was 2 feet deep!

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Generally these small departments get sucked in by the fact that the military is practically giving these things away to civilian law enforcement agencys. Once they buy them they figure out the maintenance costs are not in their budget. Then they pretty much sit and rot.

·
Blessed are the peacemakers
1,215 Posts
Generally these small departments get sucked in by the fact that the military is practically giving these things away to civilian law enforcement agencys. Once they buy them they figure out the maintenance costs are not in their budget. Then they pretty much sit and rot.
Yep, PD here has a 5 ton that they got for almost nothing, it’s great for high water and events but it has to be fired up and run about every 2 weeks because sitting up will kill it.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Yep, PD here has a 5 ton that they got for almost nothing, it’s great for high water and events but it has to be fired up and run about every 2 weeks because sitting up will kill it.
IIRC Rankin County paid about $10,000 for ours.
Add $$$$ for paint.
Add $$$$ for training.
Add $$$$ for maintenance.
Add $$$$ for garage space.
However, our snipers have been safe since it was bought!

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
To me, the 1033 program is just a way to militarize our law enforcement. One step closer to martial law.

It’s not just vehicles either that departments can get but also a few types of aircraft and weapons (M14s, M16s and 1911s)

Those interested in reading up on the program can here

Join the 1033 Program
Ahhhhhhhhhh, not so much. It's the federal gov getting rid of it's junk; pretty much finding suckers to buy it. Takes it off their books and puts it on the locals books. And the Feds can say it went to a GOOD cause. Everybody wins; untill the locals figure out they can't afford to maintain a lot of it.

·
Morte
4,265 Posts
Ahhhhhhhhhh, not so much. It's the federal gov getting rid of it's junk; pretty much finding suckers to buy it. Takes it off their books and puts it on the locals books. And the Feds can say it went to a GOOD cause. Everybody wins; untill the locals figure out they can't afford to maintain a lot of it.
The MRAP I went with a sheriff buddy of mine to pick up a few years ago had just been refurbished - new motor, trans, rears, etc. far from junk. Not saying all are like that, but I know one that could have went back to the front lines, no problem

·
Seeker of wisdom & Purveyor of the truth!
617 Posts
Some of those moonshiners are way back in them there woods, how else he gonna get em?

Reactions: Yarob and rc

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
I passed two MRAPs (on trailers) on I-55 northbound yesterday just south of Terry.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
The MRAP I went with a sheriff buddy of mine to pick up a few years ago had just been refurbished - new motor, trans, rears, etc. far from junk. Not saying all are like that, but I know one that could have went back to the front lines, no problem
Yeah I used the work junk making light of. My understanding most are refurbished before sale; or at least meet minimum standards. What I meant was more about them being able to dispose of them and get them off their books. They are done with them and it is cheaper to refurb them and get them gone than to have to maintain them until they might be needed again.

Reactions: 95 taco

·
Rational Anarchist
14,173 Posts
Rankin co. already has one. That would be so fun to go mud riding in!!
Seems like it’s be too heavy and get stuck, or at least make the location impassable by lesser vehicles.

·
Rational Anarchist
14,173 Posts
To me, the 1033 program is just a way to militarize our law enforcement. One step closer to martial law.

It’s not just vehicles either that departments can get but also a few types of aircraft and weapons (M14s, M16s and 1911s)

Join the 1033 Program
^^^THIS!!!

·
Rational Anarchist
14,173 Posts

·
Rational Anarchist
14,173 Posts
Best case scenario, it’s a wasteful program. The worst case is that they will be used against the people. I’m a pessimist when it comes to government, any government.

Reactions: Yarob and eric3713

·
Blessed are the peacemakers
1,215 Posts

Join the 1033 Program
“Militarize last enforcement”
It’s a term thrown around a lot and for some reason people tend to use it in a negative manner.

It’s our job to confront violent people and lock them away, people hate us simply because we wear a badge or uniform.
When there are shots fired in a public place it’s our duty to respond (regardless of legal ruling, either you’re in this job to protect and serve or you shouldn’t be here) and while we wear body armor we (typically) aren’t issued anything that would stop anything larger than a pistol round so having an armored vehicles to use for high risk incidents only makes sense.

In short the government surplus program is beneficial for our safety and doesn’t infringe on your rights (if you think so you’re beyond paranoid) and if they do become an infringement on your rights then cross that bridge when you come to it, stop fearmongering.
You can do a simple online search and find examples of lives (citizens and officers) saved by the use of an MRAP or similar vehicle.
As for the firearms available via the Gov Surplus some agencies get them just to have them (why not, if you have an officer without a patrol rifle but is qualified to have one let them borrow it for duty use) but I’m not aware of very many agencies who get them because of how antiquated they are, however it’s not a bad idea to get the M16’s and drop a different upper on them to ensure your officers have long guns without spending an obscene amount of money.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
With their proximity to the Federal Court, and the Air Force base, probably not a bad idea.
Space this stuff around as may be needed.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts