Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I got home from doing the Thanksgiving thing last night, I experimented with more buckshot shells.

Buckshot Sizes.jpg

The 3 sizes of buckshot that I cast. #1 buck is 30cal, 00 buck is 33cal and 000 buck is 36cal. After I cut the pellets from the sprue I tumble them in water (no SS pins) for about an hour. The tumble action beats down the sprue cuts and gives the pellets a nice roundness. The 000 buck is shiny because I put a little silicone spray in the baggie.

Buckshot Molds - Close - 1.jpg

Buckshot Molds - Open.jpg

These 2 pictures show my #1 and 000 buckshot molds. My 00 buckshot mold is the LEE 18-cavity mold. These "clamshell sinker" molds cast very good buckshot. The castings are dull because they were cast over a year ago with pure lead.

Hulls and Wads.jpg

This shows some of the components I bought way back for buckshot shells. The hulls are new primed Fiocchi clear hulls. 2 sizes of plastic seal wads that go against the powder, and some cardboard spacer wads. Man it is so nice to load new hulls. You don't need the press wad guide to insert wads and the crimps are perfect. However, these hulls do cost most than the "freebies" I pick up at Sporting Clays shoots..... :cool:

Buckshot Shells.jpg

From left to right......... What I have done so far......

6 pellet 00 buck in a standard wad with 18.0gr of Promo.
8 pellet 000 buck with 26.0gr of Unique.
12 pellet #1 buck in standard wad and Win AA hull with 18.0gr of Promo.
12 pellet #1 buck in standard wad and Rem hi-brass hull with 18.0gr of Promo.

Buckshot Boxes - 2.jpg

And labeled boxes for the new buckshot shells.

MEC Loader - 1.jpg

And my trusty MEC loader. This MEC has a better crimp finisher than the Bear Mach loader.

Now to get to the range and put MANY holes in large pieces of paper.......

·
Premium Member
14,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those look GREAT ! ! !

I currently have on order from Ballistics Products a roll crimp kit and a wooden shell holder block. I am going to try to roll crimp with an electric drill as I don't have a drill press. What are you using to roll crimp?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts