close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mosquito Repellent

Discussion in 'Outdoors' started by nonnieselman, May 16, 2017.

1. nonnieselman

nonnieselman Nocturnal Specialties

Mesquite likes this.
  2. nonnieselman

I used a Picaridin spray on my boots and so far so good. But its supposedly only good for 10 hours.

Mesquite likes this.

3. Rw

Rw NRA = Negotiating Rights Away Staff Member

I use repel all natural. Got latest thing of it at Walmart

4. Ellis93

Ellis93 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I don't think I'd like permethrin on me........then again,I spray it on my cows. Hasn't killed them yet.

94LEVERFAN, Blondie70 and Mesquite like this.
  5. canebreaker

canebreaker Distinguished Poster

Active Ingredient: Permethrin (0.5%)
    Buy the concentrate from the garden center and mix your own, got to be cheaper.
    The head lice wash is 0.10%.
    Permethrin application can cause mild skin irritation and burning. Discontinue use if hypersensitivity occurs. I would spray the clothes down, let dry for a couple of days then run them through the washer without soap. Hang up and let dry again.

Mesquite likes this.
  6. maxhush

maxhush Distinguished Poster

NW MS
    I use stuff with a high concentration of Deet. I'd rather deal with the mutagenic effects than chigger bites and scratching myself raw down until bone is exposed from going to the range. I almost never seem to get actual mosquito bites here, I guess the chiggers, grass fleas, and ticks fight them off when they try to land. IME nothing is more evil or itches more than the red spider mite (aka "chigger") bites. If it takes rolling on a pad full of deet to keep them off, I'm good with it. I also never lay on the ground and fire from a prone position at the range any more, just in case the ticks and chiggers manage to get past the deet and chew through the jeans.

Last edited: May 16, 2017
    Blondie70, Mesquite, tWillis and 2 others like this.
  7. TheBouncer1111

TheBouncer1111 Distinguished Poster

It does seem to work, but being brought up to look like, and smell like the environment you hunt in, I'm not too sure about using it in the field.

It's for that reason I never took up smoking, in bad guy land, you can smell smoke, breath, toothpaste local smells in clothes. All give you away to someone or something badder than yourself. Of course here in Mississippi you don't have to worry a lot about that. Just old habits hard to change for me.

Blondie70, Quickeye and fordpkup like this.
  8. Mesquite

Mesquite Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Listening to guy from MSU, talking about that concintrate, put on boots, etc. (Don't get it on skin ).he was talking primary about ticks, but shown to work against others

9. 41 fan

41 fan Distinguished Poster

I've git a cousin who is a hardcore turkey hunter and he loves the thermacell.
    Ronnie

deadhead, Blondie70 and BasMstr like this.
  10. Southern Reloading

Southern Reloading Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

OLD School!! For chiggers and such put you some plain ole turpentine around the bottom of your pants and sleeves.

While chartering all them years we seen a few bugs fishing the Louisiana Marsh! I would mix 1 quart of horse liniment, 1 bottle skin so soft, 16 ounce I think and a half gallon of apple cider vinegar. Take to paint store and put on shaker for 30 minutes! They didn't bite cause they didn't lite! Use a spray bottle to apply. Have literally been covered in it thousand of times and other than a twitch or two no side affects. You wouldn't smell like a pickle long but it was well worth it!

11. nonnieselman

Ive tried the thermocell's over a couple years and found out they dont work good when the wind is blowing.
    Some places we have gone is pretty bad with the swamps and waters around. I always wear a long sleeve but i think im goin to try the Sawyer spray on some hunting clothes and see how it does.

94LEVERFAN likes this.
  12. 94LEVERFAN

94LEVERFAN Distinguished Poster

Deet is your friend. I like the one that makes my mouth go numb as soon as I spray my face. You know you got the good stuff.

22lrfan, jrickhsr, tWillis and 2 others like this.
  13. fordpkup

fordpkup Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I went fishing with my son's family yesterday evening. My daughter in law had some foo foo smelling repellent. It worked very well.
    We were at a private pool. I got a kick watching my grandson catch a few.

14. canebreaker

canebreaker Distinguished Poster

I use Cutter Backwoods 25% Deet. I get the 11 oz twin pack in the garden section of walmart and save a bunch over others.

mascott likes this.
  15. DoyleAlley

DoyleAlley Distinguished Poster

+1 on the Thermacell.

16. Mesquite

Mesquite Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Heard that too; ?? Is it as effective as Garlic to Everything around you:yeah:,:eek:.

17. Rachet_36

Rachet_36 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Thermacell and deet for a multi-layer defense.

94LEVERFAN likes this.
  18. Leonidas

Leonidas Resident Mushroom (know what they say) MSGO Supporter

Sorry Mesquite. I deleted that post before I new you had responded. Did some reading after I posted, and apparently that method is pure horse manure. Sorry, bud.

BasMstr likes this.