Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a new safe on order and will need the old/smaller one moved out of the small room where I keep the safes and the new/larger safe moved into the room. Not up to doing all of this by myself.

Anyone have a recommendation for a reasonable/dependable company (or individual) that can handle this? Located in Ridgeland.

PS: the older Canon safe will be for sale once this is done.

·
Registered
9,592 Posts
Piano moving dollies are cheap at Harbor Freight, and make the job a lot easier...If you can tip the safe enough to get it on the dolly, it'll be a one-man job, two at the most!

But, are you sure that you won't need more safe space in a couple or three years??? ;)

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Moved mine with a furniture dolly from Harbor Freight (or Lowes).

Reactions: 7557

·
Morte
4,287 Posts
Have a new safe on order and will need the old/smaller one moved out of the small room where I keep the safes and the new/larger safe moved into the room. Not up to doing all of this by myself.

Anyone have a recommendation for a reasonable/dependable company (or individual) that can handle this? Located in Ridgeland.

PS: the older Canon safe will be for sale once this is done.
I’m about an hour or so south of you, but I have a 1200lb capacity rubber tire dolly you can use. I’ve moved several safes for people with it

·
Registered
255 Posts
I used a refrigeration dolly. It has the 2 extra wheels that drop down. That way you are not supporting the weight. Made moving my Liberty safe fairly easy.

·
Premium Member
4,258 Posts
If your floor allows for it, I can assure you golf balls will work. I moved mine a while back after watching it on you tube. Once it's up on them, a small child could probably push it around. Still got a slightly used package of golf balls if you need them. :)

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
The guys that delivered my 64 gun safe used a regular appliance dolly. Surprised me. I was expecting something a little more exotic. They were, however, a couple of good- sized fellas.

Reactions: 7557 and Blondie70

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
It’s easier than you would think. If I’m around I can loan you a heavy duty furniture Dollie if you want to borrow it. Just shoot me a pm and I’ll try and meet up with you if I’m in town. I travel a lot. Just let gravity do the work and don’t let it tip to far and it will be easy.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I paid discount gun safes to move mine because I watched people drop my fathers Fort Knox safe and we ended up doing the work. The used two jacks one on each side. They had a small 8 ton bottle jack on them to lift it up 2-3 inches off the ground. They moved it easily. I had to pay someone to do it because I was actually homeless for two weeks waiting on my new house to be evacuated, so it was easier think it cost 300 for moving and storage. I moved about 80 miles away.

I wish I knew someone that could make those I would start my own part time safe moving company. Actually be able to save people money, make a little extra for my shooting and reloading needs.

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Golf balls. They allow movement in any direction. Use enough and have someone to pick them up from the trailing side after it passes over them and put them back on the side in the direction you wish to go.
I used 1" ball bearings worked great.

Reactions: 7557 and phillipd

·
Super Moderator
13,349 Posts
Luckily mine is in my foyer right inside the front door. Only place I could put it without going up a step. I padded one side of the safe with a blanket and used a 4" ratchet strap to secure it to the bucket of a mini excavator, picked it up and used the mini ex to stick it through the door way, set it down on towels and slid it into place. Took me and Cousin Chris about 10 minutes total. It's supposedly a 64 gun

·
Premium Member
6,202 Posts
Yes, borrow my lift cart, round pipes and slide the old one on the back of my truck.
Kidding, get some help, even if you have done it before and the right cart that will handle the weight. Three strong men at least. I got my first one in with just myself and one of my karate students back in the 90s. The last time I got some hunting buddies.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts