Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Liberty? Cannon? Winchester? Other?

New home build. Still in framing stage.looking to add a gun safe to it.

For a couple of ARs, shotties & PC Carbines but mostly handguns. Not for ammo storage.

Less than 10-12 total 😉 (I know: rookie).

Not planning on getting any more and aggravating my wife.

My local sources are Academy Sports, Sportsman's Warehouse and Tractor Supply Co.

Must be <$1,000.00. New.

I would p/u and transport and then secure it myself.

Would prefer if safe had AC electrical access for light and dehumidifier, but could go with DC battery versions.

I don't have a gun safe now that I am transporting to our new build.

Thanks for comments and suggestions.

Added: I'm looking at the Liberty Centurion 18, Browning Yukon Gold 12 and Winchester TS-26, if that helps.

Feel free to PM me, if appropriate.

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
Most any safe that is "decent" won't be transportable by yourself. Check Youtube. There are some pretty good videos on how various safes perform under fire and burglary attempts.

·
Registered
13,631 Posts
Cannon and Winchester are same manufacturer. Tractor supply usually has deals on winchesters for the holidays starting in early November. They have cannon and maybe some liberty at the one by me now.
My Winchester was about $200 cheaper than the very close cannon at academy. I believe it’s a 28 gun.. it was $499.
It was the biggest I could fit through my door and heaviest we could manage.

·
Premium Member
5,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Definitely buy bigger than you think you need. It’s nice to have room for extra optics, my laptop and iPad also when I’m not using them.
I've heard to count your guns, optics, jewelry, computers ... then double your gun safe requirements! At least. LOL!

I'd need a house annex or a bigger safe area just for the computers and iPads! We might go Faraday cage for our electronics instead.

Reactions: bubbat

·
Premium Member
5,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cannon and Winchester are same manufacturer. Tractor supply usually has deals on winchesters for the holidays starting in early November. They have cannon and maybe some liberty at the one by me now.
My Winchester was about $200 cheaper than the very close cannon at academy. I believe it’s a 28 gun.. it was $499.
It was the biggest I could fit through my door and heaviest we could manage.
Trying VERY hard not to have to go up to the second floor.

Reactions: Blondie70

·
Registered
13,631 Posts
I've heard to count your guns, optics, jewelry, computers ... then double your gun safe requirements! At least. LOL!

I'd need a house annex or a bigger safe area just for the computers and iPads!
I had bought a smaller one but I could not fit all my long guns in it. Luckily I found out about the bigger one so I arranged to return the small one and swap it. That $100 price difference got me 3 times the space.

Second floor would be fairly easy with this safe. Joe and I carried it up into my motorhome.. well he did most the work. My back won’t allow me too much heavy lifting.

·
Premium Member
5,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Or make a “safe room/shelter” like I did and just use a safe/vault door. That’s the only way to go imo
We did just that in the home we just sold.

While it was good, it was also $20k+ and we're not able to leverage the new builder much. Sort of a cookie-cutter builder, if you get my drift.

We'll be installing an above-ground tornado/safe room* in the new garage later, plus the gun safe somewhere else. Hopefully both for less than $10K.

*Wife is terrified of tornadoes

·
Eat Sleep Guns & Jeep
11,611 Posts
We did just that in the home we just sold.

While it was good, it was also $20k+ and we're not able to leverage the new builder much. Sort of a cookie-cutter builder, if you get my drift.

We'll be installing an above-ground tornado/safe room* in the new garage later, plus the gun safe somewhere else. Hopefully both for less than $10K.

*Wife is terrified of tornadoes
understood. Our home might as well of been built around our room. It was my pet project from the get go. My number one item. And I even hand poured the concrete in every cinder block cell myself. And just like a safe I wish was twice as big now but it is what it is. The peace of mind alone it gives is worth the build cost. Ability to display things and store a ton is an added bonus lol.

·
Registered
7,601 Posts
I’ve been extremely happy with my Winchexter from TSC.

·
Registered
12,505 Posts
If you're gonna move it yourself, get some pvc pipe to roll it on. We did that with mine and it was a piece of cake to move around. I helped a friend move a Fat Boy using a large campaign sign and an old rug. It worked, but the pvc works better.

In recently bought the Cannon Wide Body from Tractor Supply. It weighs 640 pounds and sells for $1,099. Its supposed to hold 64 guns, but that would be 64 single shot without scopes or slings, lol. The door has nine "handgun" pouches, two small pouches (I use these for small revolvers), three large pouches, a double row of molle attachments (12 per row), and a spot for a shotgun.

·
Premium Member
10,959 Posts
Liberty? Cannon? Winchester? Other?

New home build. Still in framing stage.looking to add a gun safe to it.

For a couple of ARs, shotties & PC Carbines but mostly handguns. Not for ammo storage.

Less than 10-12 total 😉 (I know: rookie).

Not planning on getting any more and aggravating my wife.

My local sources are Academy Sports, Sportsman's Warehouse and Tractor Supply Co.

Must be <$1,000.00. New.

I would p/u and transport and then secure it myself.

Would prefer if safe had AC electrical access for light and dehumidifier, but could go with DC battery versions.

I don't have a gun safe now that I am transporting to our new build.

Thanks for comments and suggestions.

Added: I'm looking at the Liberty Centurion 18, Browning Yukon Gold 12 and Winchester TS-26, if that helps.

Feel free to PM me, if appropriate.
Idea, if your just walling it into existing room. Use Hardyboarď, instead sheetrock, on inside of walls to safe, improved fire, security at fairly cheap option.

·
Premium Member
5,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks to everyone for your ideas and suggestions.

Reactions: Mesquite

·
μολὼν λαβέ
39,708 Posts
Reactions: Mesquite
1 - 20 of 23 Posts