Mississippi Gun Owners banner

Mp molds 147gn 9mm

3K views 24 replies 5 participants last post by  phillipd 
#1 ·
Reactions: rig
#4 ·
Got a couple of the brass and one aluminum......they cast equally well. I do not care for the weight of the brass tho. It works you to death if you cast any actual volume of projectiles

#3 ·
I do too -- just don't like the long wait ...

#6 ·
WOW!! The last one I got (probably 2 yrs ago) took about 4 months!! !! Guess he has got better on delivery times.

Reactions: Ellis93
#16 ·
Yes,usually stick a corner off in the lead just before the first pour,for a few seconds. The mold rest on top the pot while it melts the lead before tho.

I like to just season the aluminum.....not just go to town on the first casting session. It's been said (and I think Lee states in their molds paperwork) that heat cycling the aluminum makes it build a thin corrosion on the cavities surface. Allowing the formed projectiles to drop free easily. It seems to work.
I ignored this for the first few molds I purchased and always had a tough time with the release. Followed the mold smoking thing and degreasing thing with minimal results and it wasn't till I did read the instructions that I experienced easy casting.
YMMV

#17 ·
I will share my method. Elcheapo brakecleaner. Several liberal applications to get all the machining oils off. I start with pot lvl at max an rest the base of the mold on top of the mix. It usually turns solid around the cold metal until it gets to temp. Usually minute or so depending on the temp of your pot. First couple pours is usually to hot an I frost the crap out of the bullets. Those go back in and rock and roll from there. Only time I ever thought I needed to smoke mine is with the hollow points or hollow base ones.
I know a lot of people frown on putting your mold on the melt but it’s effective. I do use a hot plate on my bigger molds or if I am running multiple An need to keep them all at temp.

#19 ·
Goes to show that everyone has their own way. Lol
I hope I get time tomorrow to run a few pounds thru this mold,get them coated and loaded.
Bet it won't happen lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.