Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got me real gun safe today. Bought it from a good fella here on forum. Got it moved in and am going to start filling it up tomorrow. I’ve already added an LED light strip to the inside, but what other upgrades or accessories should I consider? I’d imagine that a de-humidifier would be a must!!

Reactions: rc

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Door organizer of it doesn’t already have one. Pistol holders etc
Came with one. Holds 5 handguns, has molle webbing, has several zipper and hook & loop pockets.

·
Registered
15,433 Posts
Dehumidifier and decandescent(?) packs, as extra protection from moisture. Not much else you really need if it has a space in the door for handguns, unless you have more handguns, then the handgun racks/holders are a great addition.

It’s never enough space though.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, what’s the go to option for dehumidifier?

·
μολὼν λαβέ
36,531 Posts
I haven't ever used a dehumidifier, as I have never really had a problem with moisture in the safe.. But if I was going to use anything, I'd get a large desiccant pack and reactivate it in the oven as needed.

·
Registered
15,433 Posts
So, what’s the go to option for dehumidifier?
My liberty came with one, not sure of the brand. It’s a rod at the bottom of the safe that basically acts as a heater. I keep two of the big desiccant packs in the safe as well. Never an issue. Like rig said, just throw them in the oven however often to dry them out and you’re probably good.

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
If the safe is near an electrical outlet, an electric dehumidifier such as the golden rod is good. If electricity is not convenient where the safe is located, renewable desiccants are good, just watch the indicator cards & renew in the oven as necessary. The latter is what I use. Available at Academy or online from a number of places, such as Amazon.
Assuming the door has peg board type holes, buy some of the little trays at Lowe's or Home Depot and hang them inside on the door to keep valuables and small items you want to store in the safe.
You already said you have an LED light strip but Lowe's and others sell very bright battery-powered LED lights with magnets. I use these because I can either leave them on the top inside of the safe, or move them around to find something.
Of all the accessories dehumidifiers or desiccants are the most essential, especially here in MS with our super high humidity. Without them you will find yourself doing PM very often to remove fine surface rust that magically appears on your firearms.

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
I haven't ever used a dehumidifier, as I have never really had a problem with moisture in the safe.. But if I was going to use anything, I'd get a large desiccant pack and reactivate it in the oven as needed.
I'm surprised you haven't; here according to our measurements the humidity hovers between 60 and 90 % most of the time. I have to renew our desiccants about every 3 months, sometimes more often, depending on the weather & season.

Reactions: Chris Boyd

·
Premium Member
2,628 Posts
I know a fellow who added (home made) a little "gate" across each side of his safe ….. apparently he likes to store long guns bore down and thus they become a little top heavy ….. and, can shift and can fall out - maybe. The little gate he made contains anything that may have shifted --- according to him , those shifted ones always fall when your back is turned

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
One of our "safes" is one of the less expensive Sentinel sheet metal cabinets we bought when we saw it on clearance after hunting season one year at Wally World, at a price we couldn't resist. The foam stick-on gun braces were worthless, but I happened to spot a garden tool wood hanger rack in the garden department about a week later. I cut it to size and mounted it in this gun cabinet. I drilled additional holes for the dowel rods to fit the spacing I need for rifles/shotguns. Don't know if they still sell these, haven't looked. It's a strip of wood pre-drilled with peg holes & pegs, meant for hanging garden tools but with proper spacing makes a great gun rack. It was so long I was also able to make a gun stand to hold long guns I had out of the safe for cleaning, etc. Just had to cut to size, got 2 good pieces out of it. Of course you could make the same yourself with 2x4' and dowel rods cut to appropriate length, and drilling angled holes. The dowel rods can also be used to hold pistols by the barrel, I got this idea from an old photo of a Hollywood studio gun prop room, in which they had hundreds of handguns all mounted by the barrel on wooden dowel rods. The wood won't damage the barrel.
I find it to work well, especially to prevent firearms from falling around as mentioned by Doc above.

·
Premium Member
3,815 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts