Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Death is Preferable to Communism.
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got some 45 ACP Brass from a buddy of mine. Most were high polished but some look like they were copper washed. Chemical cleaning perhaps? And will this affect brass strength and integrity?
Ammunition Bullet Metal Brass Gun accessory

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
To dry my first batch out of a wet tumbler I placed them in the oven at 200 degrees for 30 minutes. They came out with a copper look to them. I went to another forum and that's the first error I saw. Shouldn't heat them over 150 degrees.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,087 Posts
I too think that was too much Lemishine. I quit using Lemishine all together. Now just Dawn and water, and the brass comes out looking great.

In the past I had brass that came out looking good, but turned that color over time even while store in an air-tight plastic bag.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
I too say excessive lemishine. Have read that it can affect the brass in negative ways but cannot confirm that, I'm definitely not a metallurgist.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
Choot 'em!

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
That bucket full of 223 cases turned orange by the time I found a way to correct it instead of scraping. After it was corrected it got washed again then to the tumbler with corncob media and polish. The ones I didn't fire are still bright.

·
Registered
458 Posts
When you use an acidic solution to clean cases, when you finish in the solution you need to use something to neutralize the cleaning action or the brass will tarnish. It will keep trying to clean. I use a solution of 50/50 vinegar/water and place in a certain type beaker in my ultrasonic cleaner for a prescribed time for my BR brass. When finished i must again cycle them in a neutralizing solution. If not tomorrow they will be clean as all get out still, but will be dark colored.
This process is part of BR Champion Jason Baney's he developed and it works absolutely wonderful no matter how dirty. Below is the link to the article. This is a good read if you crave clean brass. ALL credits are to Jason Baney. dae

UltraSonic Case Cleaning

1 - 9 of 9 Posts