close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My First AR-15 (build log)

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Chris Boyd, Nov 13, 2017 at 10:41 PM.

Tags:
  1. Chris Boyd

Chris Boyd Distinguished Poster

SW MS
    I’m starting this thread as a build log for my first AR-15 build and my first AR platform rifle. I will come here from time to time to solicit advice from the membership about correct tools, parts selection, accessories, building techniques. This will be a budget build over several months.

My rifle’s foundation will be this Ruger AR-556. I plan to build out the lower between now and the end of the year. Now to research lower parts kits, buffers, grips and triggers.

D46F2573-8668-4583-A8D6-EB3A24A20F80.jpeg

This is a continuation of an earlier thread I posted regarding poly vs aluminum lowers.

phillipd, Jarhead5811, Hrdnox and 3 others like this.
  2. jakeg823

jakeg823 Distinguished Poster

I've used a bunch of PSA LPKs and they're good to go, especially the ones with the ALG trigger. My favorite so far though has been the BCM LPK. You'll pay a few dollars more, but the quality is better.

3. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

Following this as one day I hope to do the same. Good luck .

4. onlymaroonmatters

onlymaroonmatters Eat Sleep JEEP MSGO Supporter

Laurel
    So what are your intentions with said AR?

Long range
    Range burner
    HD
    Hunting
    Cheapest can build as possible
    Or Combination of sorts

That will play a big part in recommendations.

phillipd, Quickeye and Jarhead5811 like this.
  5. nonnieselman

nonnieselman Nocturnal Specialties

I agree.. some info on what you plan to use it for will help us help you :D

phillipd likes this.
  6. Chris Boyd

SW MS
    Long range:
    My local club only has 100 yard range. So unless I decide to go hunting with it or I get invited to shoot somewhere with a longer distance range, the mark will be 100 yards.

Range burner:
    Yes, mostly. I hope to promote a Minute-Man Challange type competition at my local club and I know that AR’s are popular in those and other types of events.

HD:
    Less likely. I keep handguns and a shotgun or two around for that.

Hunting:
    Haven’t hunted in 20 years but was recently asked to go hog hunting. However, I have other rifles that are higher powered which can fulfill that roll. But I wouldn’t rule it out.

Cheapest can build as possible:
    Cheap is a dirty word. Affordable is less harsh. Budget is key but as I’m going to take my time, it will hurt less to pay a tad more for certain parts. That said, I won’t be buying $500 stripped uppers or $400 drop in triggers and $1k optics.

Or Combination of sorts:
    Short answer-Yes

7. onlymaroonmatters

Laurel
    So going to be a short-mid range range gun that could be used to run and gun. That should help narrow down a good bit.
    I'd say stick with an enhanced standard type single stage trigger with good springs. Get a good buffer/spring for recoil. I have since replaced all mine and can't believe I waited this long to do it. Then pick out a good barreled upper to spend your most money on.

phillipd and jakeg823 like this.
  8. Chris Boyd

SW MS
    So you’re suggesting a complete, bolt-on upper as opposed to building my upper from scratch? Or do they offer barreled uppers sans BCG and furniture? What are your thoughts on non-reciprocating, side charging uppers. I’ve seen a few on offer from ~$250.

9. onlymaroonmatters

Laurel
    Yeah I'd prob go with a complete upper minus BCG and CH. Then get a Nickel boron bolt and a Nice charging handle like BCM. BCM does make naked uppers but I'd prob just get one with a handguard that I like already. Or just swap it out for one I really like I'd couldn't find one already on it.
    Ehh I'm not wild about them. I prefer standard charging handle operation. To keep parts interchangeable for main thing. I know bear creek arsenal makes some. No experience with BCA and don't really plan to.

Chris Boyd likes this.
  10. jakeg823

jakeg823 Distinguished Poster

:yeah:

11. TwangBanger

TwangBanger Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

12. onlymaroonmatters

Laurel
    Definitely need to sub to palmetto state armory mailing list. And primary Arms. Always have good deals

Chris Boyd likes this.
  13. Chris Boyd

SW MS
    Stopped into 144 Tactical today. Nice place they've got there. Was given the opportunity to check out several of their custom builds and to price out some lower parts kits. A couple of the triggers he had installed on some of those rifles were pretty damn impressive. Think they were Hiperfire EDT and 24C triggers. Very nice indeed. Was very interested in one of their stripped uppers but I'm not to that point yet, so I'll have to pay them another visit once I've progressed to that stage. Even their basic trigger that comes with their LPK was pretty nice. Practically no take up, a hard break and very short reset. Very tempting. And while they aren't exactly local to me here in SW Mississippi, they are least a home grown company and a few extra bucks spent to support the local boys isn't going to break me. This project is becoming very interesting for me.

jakeg823 and rigrat like this.
  14. onlymaroonmatters

Laurel
    Let the fun begin. Adult legos. Hard to stop with just one you've been warned.

15. phillipd

phillipd Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

columbus
    I've sold them some steel for training purposes. I have never bought from them but I like the older guy that owns it. They spend a bunch on tables at the gun shows and move a lot of stuff

Jarhead5811 likes this.
  16. Chris Boyd

SW MS
    I didn’t catch his name, but the friendly bearded guy who helped me out today was more than happy to answer my questions, show me examples, offer suggestions. He wasn’t pushy or arrogant and didn’t try to talk over my head. A lot of gun shop sales people can be as bad as used car salesman. And I understand that type of attitude. These guys get loads of people in taking up their time just “kicking the tires” with no interest in spending a dime. While I may not build out my entire rifle through 144, I’m certainly going back for a LPK and a Mag Pull pistol grip. And his attitude and willingness to help without trying to push anything on me, has made them a place I will recommend to friends.

Blondie70, phillipd and rigrat like this.
  17. Chris Boyd

SW MS
    I’m buying a second lower receiver this weekend. An FMK polymer one. Plan is to build a dedicated .22 for my wife/daughter to plink with. Haven’t even started on my first and I’m planning a second. And my bro wants me to build him a .308 if mine doesn’t explode on our first range trip.
    :D

18. phillipd

phillipd Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

columbus
  19. TwangBanger

TwangBanger Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Just got the Black Friday Preview email from PSA. They're running their normally $150 premium full auto BCG on sale for $69.99
    I'll probably buy a couple just to keep on hand.

20. nonnieselman

nonnieselman Nocturnal Specialties

I fought off the 308 bug for as long as i could stand it till i seen a sale on Primary Arms. Aero Precision Upper and Lower for $199 free shipping. ARP Barrel and gathered up parts and peices as i seen them for sale and such..
    My results are in the last few post of this thread. Very happy with how it come out. And shoots great out to 800 yards.

AR-10 308 Coming Right Up