Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, here is my first loaded round with a bullet that I cast.
It is a 227 gr. RN cast using a Lee mould. It is lubed with an alox/paste wax/mineral spirits mixture. I plan on firing off a few of them tomorrow to check for leading in the barrel.

 
A

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Looks like you have about the right amount of lube on those nice bullets. I found out when I was testing some loads for my 40 XD(M) that if the powder charge is not enough to operate the slide for proper case ejection, you will probably get a small amount of leading in the barrel. When I got the loads just right for proper gun function, there was no more leading. For some reason, the slower bullets were leaving a very small amount of leading but when the velocity was stepped up a notch, the bullets didn't lead the bore. The leading was about 1/4 inch into the bore from the chamber end.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,644 Posts
... and the addiction starts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nonnieselman said:
I have got to get into casting! 100bucks a thousand gets kinda expensive when ya blast thru 500 in no time.
Exactly why I started this again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,550 Posts
$100 a thou.?

Even my Moly coated bullets are only $200 for 3000 and that's with shipping...course that's puny 147 gr 9mms

Yeah I'm addicted....nice bullets bro...It is my "opinion" that you should let new bullets "cure" or harden up about a week before you shoot em....It takes a while for them to cure. This is also why you need to size em the same day you make em if you can...the longer you wait...the harder they get

Might melt me some Wheel weights today....ingots stack better :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,557 Posts
Hammer...... Very good "START"..............

Once you get into casting, you should upgrade your casting/sizing equipment..............

How did those LEE Tumble Lube bullets shoot.......?

.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SubGunFan said:
Hammer...... Very good "START"..............

Once you get into casting, you should upgrade your casting/sizing equipment..............

How did those LEE Tumble Lube bullets shoot.......?

.
Have not shot any yet. I gotta get a case length gage to check and make sure my crimp is not too much. I had to crimp to keep the bullet from sliding back when a round is chambered. If I seat the bullet to my desired depth and chamber the round, it sits back in the case .010 inch each time it chambers. I crimped it some and stopped this, but now I gotta check and make sure the headspacing will be ok.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,644 Posts
Use your barrel as a case gage .. remove barrel from weapon, round into barrel -- if it goes, you should be good to go ... watch that OAL --the shorter, the more pressure ...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,644 Posts
Hammer said:
..Have not shot any yet. I gotta get a case length gage to check and make sure my crimp is not too much. I had to crimp to keep the bullet from sliding back when a round is chambered. If I seat the bullet to my desired depth and chamber the round, it sits back in the case .010 inch each time it chambers. I crimped it some and stopped this, but now I gotta check and make sure the headspacing will be ok.
You loaded those things on April 2nd -- today is the 8th and you have no shot a one of them!! What's wrong with you boy?? Some kind of self-discipline thing you working on? :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
captain-03 said:
Hammer said:
..Have not shot any yet. I gotta get a case length gage to check and make sure my crimp is not too much. I had to crimp to keep the bullet from sliding back when a round is chambered. If I seat the bullet to my desired depth and chamber the round, it sits back in the case .010 inch each time it chambers. I crimped it some and stopped this, but now I gotta check and make sure the headspacing will be ok.
You loaded those things on April 2nd -- today is the 8th and you have no shot a one of them!! What's wrong with you boy?? Some kind of self-discipline thing you working on? :lol:
OOOOOOHHHHHHHHMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did fire off a few after I checked headspace with the barrel. Just wanted to check for proper operation. Only fired off 5, did not do an accuracy test.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,644 Posts
Hammer said:
I did fire off a few after I checked headspace with the barrel. Just wanted to check for proper operation. Only fired off 5, did not do an accuracy test.
OK -- it has been long enough!! Range report??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fired off about 20 of them the other day. Offhand at about 20 feet. Functioned in the gun well, semi decent group. Nothing to write home about. Most of that was me I am sure. I have not had the chance to do a rested grouping yet.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top