Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a decent air rifle that won't break the bank. Prefer metal and wood no plastics. I'm not looking for a high end competition rifle just but would like one that can have optics mounted.
Any suggestions.

Reactions: rigrat

·
Registered
8,431 Posts
go with a nitro piston. tanker posted the history of the system and hands down that's the way to go. search on here and read his posts :) you can get g1 crosman nitro's for $100. I got the trail np pistol and enjoy it. my gen1 crosman nitro venom was wood and steel. I also bought a gen1 np phantom but gave it to my paw inlaw because it took too much cocking effort.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sig have you looked in the 'air rifle' section? Might be some tips there.
I did, just didn't find any suggestions like I thought I would.

Reactions: phillipd

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My only comment is to make sure you get an Air Rifle optic for your Air Rifle. Air Rifles are not kind to conventional rifle scopes.
How so? Are you saying vibration is worse than recoil? I'm not following you here.

Reactions: Mesquite

·
Registered
9,643 Posts
Wife gave me a Crosman FIRE air rifle for Christmas; it came with a scope, is a nitro piston barrel break rifle and shoots 1" groups at 15 yards across my back yard...minute of squirrel! Its pretty quiet and cost much less than $100. Disadvantage...horrible trigger. It says the trigger is adjustable, but I haven't been able to tell much difference...might be a little lighter, but still plenty of creep and back travel. But since it still gets squirrel accuracy, I don't worry much about it.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Wife gave me a Crosman FIRE air rifle for Christmas; it came with a scope, is a nitro piston barrel break rifle and shoots 1" groups at 15 yards across my back yard...minute of squirrel! Its pretty quiet and cost much less than $100. Disadvantage...horrible trigger. It says the trigger is adjustable, but I haven't been able to tell much difference...might be a little lighter, but still plenty of creep and back travel. But since it still gets squirrel accuracy, I don't worry much about it.
Check CharlieDaTuna offers NPSS, NP, CBR, GTX-III, & GRT-III triggers - Airgun Triggers and see if the CBR model of his will fit your crossman.

For sigpro: I like my Gamo, its a old hunter model but has the trigger from that site as well as upgraded spring and seals (replaced em after 10 years or so). The newer ones have integrated silencers on them which is neat. If I was in the market for something better than a red ryder or walmart special but not in the full blown big bore pcp high dollar stuff I'd look at what his triggers are compatible with and buy one of those. It's not a true 2 stage but is very crisp, no creep and light years better than the factory triggers on most springers.

If you need more power most of those springers can be upgraded and tweaked, just be sure and build a jig, few gunsmithing projects have pissed me off more than trying to compress that spring back in my gamo, was sore for days.

Just did a quick search REFURBISHED Gamo Hunter 440 Air Rifle .177 cal (no scope) | Natchez has these. It's the same model as mine, though may be newer as theres some differences in the picture, but think they may have the wrong stock photo.

·
I'll Play Dixie If I Want To
4,266 Posts
I've been looking at a RWS model 34 in .22......don't know too much about them but they have real good reviews. They say buy the rifle alone, don't but the combo, buy your own scope.

·
Registered
8,431 Posts
my $100 hatsan springer with $50 hawke AO scope is my #1 squirrel killer :) but I wish it was NP so it would last several lifetimes instead of just a couple hundred thousand shots!

really research the NP it is impressive.

·
Super Moderator
13,473 Posts
Only current production air rifle we have is a Gamo break action with integrated suppressor. I got it 2 years ago for the boy's 14th bday. It came with a scope. I have changed out the scope twice and still can't get it sited in. Velocity and penetration is better than I hoped for, but after 3 scopes I still can't consistently hit a drink can at 20 yards. Its hi dollar, but the bull pup that SP guns uses in his videos every Friday is the best bet for a factory rifle. I just can't spend that much for an air gun.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The short answer is yes.
Wow! Thanks everyone, I had plans on using one of the many scopes I have laying around. I had no idea.

Reactions: Mesquite

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Springer air rifles are know for being very rough on scopes. I have a springer. For what I have in it, I love it. You just have to get a scope that can handle the back and forth jerking pressure.
Well you could have knocked me down with a feather. I had never done any research on air rifles or on scopes made for them before posting this thread. In my ignorance I thought this would have been the easiest thread to answer.
Dang, nothing is simple any more.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've been looking at a RWS model 34 in .22......don't know too much about them but they have real good reviews. They say buy the rifle alone, don't but the combo, buy your own scope.
I saw a guy shooting a RWS (open sights if I remember correctly) a couple of years ago. I think he could shoot the wings off of a fly at 30 feet. Of course I didn't ask any questions as an air rifle was not even a consideration then.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bad headache right now, brain is on standby. Have had headaches for the last few days so research is a "pain" right now. I spent weeks researching for a flashlight and knife both but was hoping you guys could help on this one. I value the opinion on this forum more than reviews from some clown who has never even fired a gun.
So correct me if I'm wrong, a piston is better than a spring as far as lasting longer. I wasn't even aware you could change out triggers in an air rifle.
If I had $200 to spend on a rifle and scope what would you recommend? Do I need to just wait and save up some more?

Reactions: Mesquite and rigrat

·
Registered
646 Posts
Bad headache right now, brain is on standby. Have had headaches for the last few days so research is a "pain" right now. I spent weeks researching for a flashlight and knife both but was hoping you guys could help on this one. I value the opinion on this forum more than reviews from some clown who has never even fired a gun.
So correct me if I'm wrong, a piston is better than a spring as far as lasting longer. I wasn't even aware you could change out triggers in an air rifle.
If I had $200 to spend on a rifle and scope what would you recommend? Do I need to just wait and save up some more?
If you really want to go down the rabbit hole head over to gatewaytoairguns.org

At $200 I'd buy that refurbished Gamo 440 I listed for $110, and spend the rest on a trigger, and a tune kit, NEW-Gamo Etc. Express Package Deal- Seals, Lubes, Spring. That model is one of the last wood and steel Gamos, needless to say I like mine and think that's a bargain, it'd take more than $110 to part with it.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts