Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been trying to ship some ammunition person-to-person, U.S. to U.S. without success.

My brother in another state just won a Henry .22LR in a raffle. I'm trying to ship him 5,000 rds. of .22LR ammo for it as a gift. The ammo is legal in his state.

I've gone 0-3 at local Fed Ex shipping locations over the past two days, including a Fed Ex Print & Ship, and Fed Ex Distribution Centers. Fed Ex Customer Support was unhelpful.

Ditto for my local UPS Store.

I am in NW Mississippi. I am not a business.

The .22LR ammunition is still boxed in the sealed/unopened package from the internet ammunition company from which I bought it.

It's like trying to ship small arms ammunition is akin to a cross being shown to a vampire … but I know that both UPS and FedEx Ground DO ship small arms ammunition.

Any suggestions (besides shooting it up myself)? What am I doing wrong or not doing?

Thanks in advance. And, yes, it's too far to drive it there myself.

·
Premium Member
8,080 Posts
Hey Leans! OK the ammo has to be in the original box and then inside another box. Sealed and marked ORMD on 4 sides. You should be able to ship it via the post office. I use UPS or FedX but have in the past used the USPS. Aren't there some on here that work for the post office? Today it may depend on the state you are sending it to.

Side note, You can get and copy the ORMD label online. Then just tape them to the box. There is a required size.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Reading the UPS page it states that ammunition can only be shipped from a UPS scheduled pickup account. (under the section "Getting the package to UPS"

Shipping Ammunition: UPS - United States

I'd call one of the commercial UPS box stores; they are scheduled pickup accounts.

Reactions: 7557

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
I have shipped ammo via ups no problem. Just tell them its ammo components and must be ground shipped. I shipped 65lbs of ammo, powder bullets etc to Alaska for a friend several years back and while it was expensive they did it no problem at UPS. USPS told me no way they could ship ammo.

·
Premium Member
27,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all. I'll try again another day. And probably another.

BTW, my package was labeled with the required ORM-D stickers and is less than 30 lbs.

I think person-to-person shipping of ammunition is a ball of confusion to the Fed Ex locations ...

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
I once went into a UPS store to ship about 50 bottles of wine, and was told that they can't ship booze.

This was on a Saturday, so I asked that they confirm this with their manager.

Five minutes later - "where would you like to ship your wine?"

Suggestion: Open up an online UPS account (it's free), and set up the shipping online. You can declare what it is, print out a label, and schedule a pickup.

·
Premium Member
27,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Today the FedEx customer service on-line chat representative actually referred me to the ATF -- just to ship 5,000 rds. of .22LR ammunition! ["The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives can provide assistance."]

SMH.

·
Premium Member
27,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I forgot to mention that I received 2,000 rounds of .22LR via UPS last week. :rolleyes:
Yep.

My .22LR ammo was delivered to me via Fed Ex Ground in Sep 2018.

It's the same ammo in the same packaging that I'm trying to ship to my brother … by Fed Ex Ground.

Yep.

Either the anti's have already won, some people at Fed Ex are stupid/uninformed/lazy … or, more likely, BOTH!

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
Two years ago I shipped about 30 pounds of 45acp ammo to my brother in California. I Had all the proper labels on it Took it to a local ups store they said no can do. They said I had to take it to their major hub. Took it to their major hub here in Hattiesburg, don’t remember exactly where. The guy asked me what it was in the package I told him. He said ok charged me and off I went.

I think you should take it to one of their major shipping hubs. I do remember they had wierd hours that they took packages.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Two years ago I shipped about 30 pounds of 45acp ammo to my brother in California. I Had all the proper labels on it Took it to a local ups store they said no can do. They said I had to take it to their major hub. Took it to their major hub here in Hattiesburg, don’t remember exactly where. The guy asked me what it was in the package I told him. He said ok charged me and off I went.

I think you should take it to one of their major shipping hubs. I do remember they had wierd hours that they took packages.
Hope this helps.
You may be onto something. The UPS Stores and other small locations may not be trained in accepting "hazmat." It does require formal training.

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
You may be onto something. The UPS Stores and other small locations may not be trained in accepting "hazmat." It does require formal training.
When I lived in Oregon it was the same story.

Although I can’t ship to California anymore with their new laws. My brothers loss.

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Hey Leans! OK the ammo has to be in the original box and then inside another box. Sealed and marked ORMD on 4 sides. You should be able to ship it via the post office. I use UPS or FedX but have in the past used the USPS. Aren't there some on here that work for the post office? Today it may depend on the state you are sending it to.

Side note, You can get and copy the ORMD label online. Then just tape them to the box. There is a required size.
Ditto...ormd label is needed.

·
Super Moderator
13,469 Posts
Just put it in a box labeled motorcycle parts and ship with whoever you want. The Hell's Angels built an empire mailing dope doing it like that

1 - 19 of 19 Posts