New 300 Meter Range / Hazlehurst, MS

Discussion in 'Gun Clubs' started by captain-03, May 7, 2014.

1. captain-03

captain-03 Moderator Staff Member MSGO Supporter

Byram, MS
    Heard from a reliable source today that the Boy Scouts of America has approved $750K for the construction of a range to be located at Camp Hood outside of Hazlehurst, MS.  I was told the range will probably be open to the public when not in use by the BSA.  Facilities to include 13 or so handgun bays, a 300 meter rifle range, skeet and trap range, and an archery range.  The ranges will be facing North!!  There will be a small club house with restrooms and a classroom.  Do not have a date of ground breaking but I understand it want be very far in the future.

Any one got any additional info on this?

2. SubGunFan

SubGunFan Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Jackson
    Great news................  Hope it happens soon. 

3. GoodOlEagle

GoodOlEagle Distinguished Poster

Madison
    I am on the shooting sports committee down at camp hood. This is the start of what we hope will be a complete complex covering all the shooting sports. plans down the road will be to add action archery course, sporting clay course, Olympic air rifle and pistols. we also plan on hosting shooting matches and NRA classes.

4. captain-03

captain-03 Moderator Staff Member MSGO Supporter

Byram, MS
    Tell us more -- WHEN?  Is it going to be open to the public? etc, etc !!

5. Scharfschütze

Scharfschütze Waffennarr

What club or organization is managing the range? Who will be
    in charge of rifle events? Will the rifle events be NRA or CMP
    sanctioned?
    Good luck, looking forward to another range opening up.

6. Dr. Benway

Dr. Benway Distinguished Poster

What is the significance of it facing north?

Edit:  Fixed it for you.
    Captain-03

7. GoodOlEagle

GoodOlEagle Distinguished Poster

Madison
    The range will be run by the Andrew Jackson Council of the BSA. Some of the timber work has been done, dirt work hopefully will start soon. It is my understanding that the NRA and other grants are finalized. The plan under the grants is to host some NRA matches. we also want to be available for 4H and JROTC matches and anyone else who wants to use it. The overall plan is to get as much use out of it year round as we can to help cover the cost of maintaining and upgrading the ranges. We wanted to have most of it ready for summer camp this year but a big project like this takes a lot of people all agreeing on the details, and then coming up with money to do it. We have been dreaming about this for about three years now and things are starting to become real. We are planing to add Pistols and Black Power rifle to the lineup of Rifle, Shotgun, and Archery we already teach at summer camp.

A lot of work to improve the camp has been going on for the past couple of years. Last year we completed the addition of a new climbing tower, high and low COPE course, new showers, bathrooms. This year we cut a lot of timber in and around the camp, reworked the water front area, added some fishing docks and fish beds.  I hope the ranges will be the next item on the list to be completed. 

So remember next time you see a boy selling some Popcorn buy a box or two, we are using the money well to proved a place for the youth to learn a lot of very important lessons and become better adults

when we get ready to open it, I will let everyone know and post all the information on fees and times. 

Also if anyone is interested in helping work with the scouts or has a youth that would like to join, fill free to email me and I will help you in anyway I can.  

Kerry Steed
    GoodOlEagle@comcast.net

8. Doug Bowser

Doug Bowser Distinguished Poster

The Sun is never directly in your eyes when the range faces North.

9. SubGunFan

SubGunFan Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Jackson
    Yes, in the US of A it is preferred to have the firing done to the North as Doug stated.  You might have noticed in the Winter months (when the sun travels low across the southern sky) shooting at Magnolia can get tough.  Ranges facing East or West are the worst on a year round basis.

10. S.W.G.C.JBMIII

S.W.G.C.JBMIII Distinguished Poster

GoodOlEagle if you are on the board you might want to bring up a 600 yard range before dirt work is done,if that is all possible. If you want people with money that is the ticket. The longer range is needed in Mississippi,many of us have been looking for a location (we will find one).We need it for CMP,NRA Highpower/F class matches. Most matches are being shot on reduced size target and a lesser distances. State Championship matches could be shot there, bringing in much needed monies and just might be cost effective. 

I know others who have posted on this thread can verify this.

:F1: Not taking away from the BSA programs, working with children and training them is what my club does best.

11. suberjc

suberjc Distinguished Poster

+1 There is a growing cross-discipline, mid-range audience that could very easily fill any holes in your usage plans. Julius is correct if it is possible to extend to 600 you could very easily double your range fees.

12. Doug Bowser

Doug Bowser Distinguished Poster

I hope all goes well with this project. If they don't have pits or electronic targets a 300 yard HP match is very difficult. If they install electronic targets it would work OK.

13. Scharfschütze

Scharfschütze Waffennarr

Yep
    That's a lot of walking to score targets. Pits or electronic scoring are the way to go.

14. suberjc

suberjc Distinguished Poster

Upon speaking with the principals of this project on Friday I learned that their plans have changed to something more reasonable for the BSA marksmanship program. I understand what they are doing and why they are doing it but it's not going to be something that accommodates NRA or CMP programs.

We currently do however have multiple other opportunities for new ranges in our state. I can't say more because in each case I've been asked to remain silent.  I can say that these are businesses - two of which have absolutely nothing to do with shooting as yet. One is really surprising.

Sometimes in Mississippi we have fallen victim to the truth that says,  "....Ye have not because ye ask not."

15. S.W.G.C.JBMIII

16. S.W.G.C.JBMIII

We currently do however have multiple other opportunities for new ranges in our state. I can't say more because in each case I've been asked to remain silent.  I can say that these are businesses - two of which have absolutely nothing to do with shooting as yet. One is reallysurprising.

Maybe to you when I show up the 24th