Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had aspirations of offering this sling since I first cut leather. After ending up on the phone with Les Tam for several hours last spring I had a clear goal in mind and, thanks to his knowledge and willingness to share it, a good idea of what was involved.

The single most important part of the equation is the jig used to punch the holes as it is next to impossible to punch that many consistently. Any of you that have met my friend/helper Scott know how handy he is around the shop and we came up with this. Down to the nice wood stain and everything:

Took us a few times to find the 'right' size hole for the frogs to lock properly onto.

The rest was just leg work really. The keepers on this style sling need to be precise and snug to really 'bite' on the sling. Required a long of hand stitching which I usually try to avoid! Was able to snap some really decent photos of a dark brown one installed on my most appropriate, and only WWII vintage Garand:

And a few of a black one on my new m16A4 clone. Leather on a tacti-cool rifle? Now I gone and done it :thumbup: 

So that's it for now. I intend after trying these for a while to add a numbering system between holes for quick referencing as recommended by an experienced MSGO'r. Ain't nothing but a thing now! I tell you one thing for dang sure though....I don't see how the big guys sell em so cheap!

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dhollis51 said:
VERY NICE. Like I said ill be glad to test her out for ya. :). Looks great.
Never had a problem finding folks who want to 'test.' Appreciate your offer though :thumbup: 

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dhollis51 said:
I like the copper rivets? in the hardware. Looks great.
They are copper per Mr. Tam's recommendations. Going to see how they hold up over some time and use!

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Looks good, but it is not attached correctly to the rifle.  

Here's the official way to attach it.

http://www.rollanet.org/~stacyw/us_1907_sling1.htm

I have been using the USMC rifle team method lately, it works well for me.  Here's that method, flamboyantly demonstrated.

[flash=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/v/V80JyfZ4gBQ" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true[/flash]

The only other modification I know of is some shooters use a dremel and round off the sharp edges of the hooks so it will not tear the leather.

·
Waffennarr
8,838 Posts
OK so I've been using an old 1907 sling for a couple of years now on M1 rifle, 1903A3, and ARs. I've had good results, and don't want to use anything else.
You got me. I'm in. When you get production up & running, I'll take two!

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
How long can you make the upper strap?  I could use a 54"

I'm glad you finally found hardware, those "frogs" look great.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Scharfschütze said:
OK so I've been using an old 1907 sling for a couple of years now on M1 rifle, 1903A3, and ARs. I've had good results, and don't want to use anything else.
You got me. I'm in. When you get production up & running, I'll take two!
These are the 1.25" variant most refer to as a 'national match' sling. I took the things I liked most about the Turner and Les Tam and mixed em. Happy with the end result. I think I'll only offer these with a triple keeper.

PhillipM said:
How long can you make the upper strap?  I could use a 54"

I'm glad you finally found hardware, those "frogs" look great.
I can make an upper strap 72" if someone wanted it. These are set at 48" as a base point for me to play with them. The frogs came right from a top maker, one uses an original style rivet which is quit small. Les Tam drills 'em out for a larger stronger rivet and I liked that. Like I mentioned above I think I'll only offer these with triple keepers. Gives you a spare and serves a purpose at the same time.

Corrected my rigging, too.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
shoeshooter said:
I can use another one now, more later.  Let us know when you're ready to roll.
My 'list' has been started, have had more interested than I expected to be honest. Like I said though I can't make 'em as cheap as the big guys do!

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finally have something to talk about and finally got back around to these. When I sent Les Tam my initial photos he called me and we talked for a few hours about various things now that my feet were wet. Some things are true to his design, some incorporate options recommended to me by shooters, and the leather thickness I set in between the two more popular brands.

This is the upper strap frog. You can see how not using the cap for the belt rivet allowed me to get a much lower profile. Logo stamped and marked for strap length. With some practice it should look a lot nicer too:

Numbered lower portion of the upper strap to help keep track of your settings:

And a side by side of the new lower strap next to the V1 upper. The difference in frog mount is a lot more obvious on this photo. The lower strap was a big headache on V1 because with the added rivet thickness you couldn't even get the strap onto a non military sling loop.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I don't think that it would be possible for me to be more pleased with this one. One of the errors I made in the first batch was using the ring portion of the rivet for attachment causing the lower loop frog interference going through some lower attachment points. That is fixed in this revision and I think they look nicer as well. 

This one is cut from solid 10 oz back veg tan with a 50" upper strap. The final piece has been oiled and then finished with something out of the norm for me. Didn't want to use an acrylic finish on something that gets bent up like these slings because it will crack and look bad with a lot of use. Chose a product that I've used a bit now in the shop that's called Obenaufs' Heavy Duty LP. Was originally made for firefighters out west to keep their boots safe in the forests! It's abrasion & water resistant as well so should give a good service life with just a bit of upkeep.

While I know with practice I'll get faster at producing these my build time was roughly 6 hours, 1.5 of which are the hand rubbed finish, so it's just not going to be feasible for me to come less than the $90-100 mark which somewhat prices me out of the market. Going to to an MSGO introductory special for $75 shipped for the first 5 and then that is that!

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
dhollis51 said:
When will you be making the first 5?
You know I don't stock anything, I have enough leather to do another 3, maybe 4 in brown. All you want in black. 1 of the browns is spoken for! Likely looking at a 4-5 week flip.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I hope I'm still on your list for two brown ones from a year ago??  :)  I'll even pay full price for 'em! They look GREAT!  :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
emptydub said:
I hope I'm still on your list for two brown ones from a year ago??  :)  I'll even pay full price for 'em! They look GREAT!  :thumbup:

Your on the list, just didn't account for it here. Hopefully the wait was worth it  :bigtu:

5/5 spoken for. Thanks folks!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts