Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanting to build an AR with a 18" barrel (5.56) for my new suppressor that should get out of jail in July. Are there any special consideraitions with building one to be suppressed.

·
Eat Sleep Guns & Jeep
10,357 Posts
@nonnieselman @rrharris
What can? DT or QD?
Will run fine with mil spec. Just better with a gas buster or silicone modded charging handle and heavier buffer. I'm sure the adjustable bolts are nice too but no experience. Adjustable gas block maybe, still getting used to my first one but it's on a pistol.
5/8x24 threads if possible to reduce effects of heat/swelling

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
What can? DT or QD?
I like QD cans. I looked at my uncles omega yesterday and it think thats gonna be my next can. I alway associate direct thread to precision bolt guns. Just the way it was when cans started out before it became a popular thing. I don't own one so take it with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Buffers are timing devices like a distributor, but will also cause short stroking if too heavy or not enough gas.

Screenshot_2017-10-17-10-42-19-1.png

I'm sure everyone has seen this chart above. I pick the heaviest in the chart for that particular barrel thats suppressed. Like 16in mid gas I used an h2 for use with a can.

20181111_125412-1161x2064.jpg

Pic above is cam pin strikes in a 20in 6x45 rifle gas with h3 bullfer. Suppressed with warm loads.
20181111_125741-1161x2064.jpg

^^^ 16in mid gas 6.8 with h2, suppressed warm loads. Probably should put an h3 in it.
20181111_125928-1161x2064.jpg

^^ 16in 223 carbine gas with standard 3 ounce buffer suppressed with mild loads h3 buffler would have prevented this. Bolt unlocks waaaay too early. Makes gun extremely nasty too.

All these guns had adjustable gas blocks for every single shot and were adjusted to the last click that the bolt was held open on last shot with empty mag. When I look at other guns it's the first thing I look for to see if timing is correct.

·
Nocturnal Specialties
7,314 Posts
I agree...

Suppressor holds the pressure longer so it's going to speed up your bolt.
So I go heavier buffer and Adjustable gas block to tame it down.
I mostly use H3 buffers unless it's getting a rifle stock like the Magpul PRS or A2 stock, then it gets the rifle buffer.
My softest shooting rifle is a 20" 223 with gas turned down and rifle buffer. It shoots the best too.

18" I'd get a rifle length gas system.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
After reading this I am considering changing my buffer and spring. Adams Arms 16" 5.56 piston system which is adjustable from full gas to supposedly 1/2 gas. Trying to decide on an H3 or H2 Spikes buffer and a JP Enterprises ground/polished spring.

The question I have for your experienced AR gurus is about grease in the buffer tube. One comment I read mentioned using white lithium. Do any, some, or all of you use grease on the buffer and spring assembly and if so what kind. Is that where the Sum Guy lube goes??

·
Eat Sleep Guns & Jeep
10,357 Posts
I've never lubed a buffer or spring or buffer tube. I use the sum gy to lube the bcg, locking lugs, charging handle and then the trigger every once in awhile.
I'm sure greasing a buffer and tube would set up all kinds of problems, especially in the cold.
:yeah:
Plus more places fouling to stick

·
Premium Member
4,682 Posts
How do you ID the buffers ? Got a few laying around here with no numbers or letters on them.....
Same with the springs. How does one ID them ?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
By the time I decided to order one of the Armaspec units they were out of stock in anything other than standard carbine, however I did catch the Spikes tungsten powder H2 on sale at Primary Arms. Will get a chance to give it a run on Thursday. Will run it with the current spring.

Armaspec says they will be out of the heavier weight units until after the first of the year. Wonder if they are changing something, changing supplier, or got caught with a short supply.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts