Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New EDC knife: Gerber 22-41830 EAB Pocket Knife, Exchange A Blade

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness/Self Sufficiency' started by Jarhead5811, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Jarhead5811

Jarhead5811 Rational Anarchist MSGO Supporter

For years my EDC, as far as knives go, has consisted of an Old Timer "Middle Man" three blade and a smallish Leatherman. At work I also carried a small Kobalt razor knife that takes the tiny blades. Well, I've found myself in need of a knife that can cut four ply cardboard. So I picked up one of these:

At only $11.60, I liked this thing enough that I picked up a couple of more for EDC and have placed extra blades, in several places (work, cars, toolboxes, etc.) where they might become useful. Being able to replace the blade is a huge plus, to me, and the clip is big enough to act as a money clip.

I also plan to give out a few as Christmas gifts. I've always said that a man can't have too many knives, guns or too much ammo. While I can, most people can't properly sharpen a knife these days. Heck, I can't even locate my old sharpening kit since I moved and I'm stuck using a backup. Disposables, I belive are a great alternative, especially for hard uses.

EDIT: I ran across this while searching for the above photo. I love Nutnfancy videos and it turns out he likes it as much as I do.

EDIT: Seeing that there is a "Lite" version of the EAB available
    I read reviews on both and still think I'll prefer the one above but I plan to get at least one of these to compare them for myself. I'll report back when I do.

I saw this video by Jack Spirco on the "Lite" version:
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
    Hrdnox, Mesquite and Cliff731 like this.
  2. Jarhead5811

I still carry one of these as part of my EDC and I highly recommend them. The lite version has since been updated with the same thick clip as well the regular model making the difference between the two purely cosmetic IMO.

3. Cliff731

Cliff731 Danged ole' Hermit...

One of my "ex" brothers-in-law and still a great friend all these years later was always fond of saying this:

"A man can never have too many guns or cameras!" :101010:

Knives and ammo fit in there too... :)
    Mesquite and Jarhead5811 like this.
  4. deadhead

deadhead Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Thank you, ordered two of these just now, like the money clip idea.
    Jarhead5811 likes this.
  5. bubbat

bubbat Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.

I'm gonna have to check these out, I have the Husky like in the 2nd video, it works fine, but like the size of the Gerber better.
    righttoown and Jarhead5811 like this.
  6. [​IMG]
    Mesquite, Cliff731 and Jarhead5811 like this.
  7. Jarhead5811

It’s nice to have something small with a disposable blade, it keeps the blade on my good knives from getting damaged or dulled so much.
    Mesquite and Cliff731 like this.
  8. Jarhead5811

IMO, a real man always has a pocket knife and could always use more of them.
    DEADEYE 1, deadhead, 22lrfan and 2 others like this.
  9. Amen.
  10. HotRod31

HotRod31 Distinguished Poster

I keep one on my ankle holster
    Jarhead5811 likes this.
  11. Scharfschütze

Scharfschütze Waffennarr

I carry a Kershaw Blur or Leek. They are pencil sharpeners. "Mr. Z sharpen my pencil please".
    (I don't have one of those high-tech handle driven rotary blade devices in my room.)
    rigrat, Mesquite, 22lrfan and 2 others like this.
  12. Leonidas

Leonidas The Beast MSGO Supporter

Had mine for morna year. Like it fine.

I must have the lite was 8 bucks and change on Amazon.
    rigrat and Jarhead5811 like this.
  13. Jarhead5811

This is the lite version:
    image.jpg image.jpg
    I love the Irwin blades BTW.

The price goes up and down, on Amazon.
    deadhead likes this.
  14. righttoown

righttoown Distinguished Poster

Thanks for the info. Order 2 of the gerber lites.
    deadhead and Jarhead5811 like this.
  15. Leonidas

Yep, it's the lite.
    Jarhead5811 likes this.
  16. deadhead

deadhead Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Thanks Jarhead, second one still floating through USPS.
    Jarhead5811 likes this.
  17. JohnHeiter

JohnHeiter Distinguished Poster

I've got a couple of these and like them. I keep one in my possibles bag I carry when deer hunting. It's nice to have for skinning a deer where cutting through hair tends to really dull a blade. I put a fresh blade in to start and I can throw it away when I'm done and I'm out a few cents. I do think I should go into business making razor blades with a slightly different profile on the tip. A little more rounded end would really help to keep from digging in.

Something like this:
    Jarhead5811 likes this.
  18. Jarhead5811

Carpet blade
  19. Leonidas

And make a larger version for ice skates.
    Jarhead5811 likes this.
  20. wmrebelhs

wmrebelhs Full Poster

Like the idea of using a replaceable blade for the small tasks, keeps your real knife sharper for longer.
    Jarhead5811 likes this.