Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am a newbie when it comes to handguns, I just got my CCW. I purchased an XD-40 3" Mod 2. I got it from an online dealer and transferred to an FFL place.

When I field strip I noticed the barrel had circular marks on it and a couple scratches it seemed like. I have photos and wanted to confirm if it was supposed to come that way.

I fired 50 rounds and it seems the casings have scratches and small dent on the side when they leave the chamber. I am wondering if this is affecting the accuracy or if I really need to practice.

Anyone know if this is normal?

·
Grouchy Old Fart
23,650 Posts
The markings you are showing are normal. They are just tool marks left by the manufactor when the barrel was made. There will be more marks as the gun is fired because there are moving parts. You need to get with an experienced pistol shooter and look at their handgun. The spent shells are expanded when fired and the extractor has to remove them from the barrel. On some guns the spent shells hit the opening upon extraction. There is a chance you could have a rough chamber but if you do it can be fixed by someone who knows what they are doing.

·
Registered
15,440 Posts
The cosmetics and to some degree or another the quality of American handguns is steady going down hill as the cost of them sky rocket. Of late I have seen more than a few handguns made by big manufacturers that looked and felt like they were made in some 3rd world country with gouges and hammers rather than" state of the art" CNC machines and quality control seems to be becoming non existent. I suspect it is a product of our time where everything is disposable and as long as it works who cares what it looks like. Long gone are the days of removing machine marks and polishing for smoothness. Leave functional works of art and the beauty of precision craftsmanship to the custom gun builders and the true firearms enthusiasts and collectors.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
The cosmetics and to some degree or another the quality of American handguns is steady going down hill as the cost of them sky rocket. Of late I have seen more than a few handguns made by big manufacturers that looked and felt like they were made in some 3rd world country with gouges and hammers rather than" state of the art" CNC machines and quality control seems to be becoming non existent. I suspect it is a product of our time where everything is disposable and as long as it works who cares what it looks like. Long gone are the days of removing machine marks and polishing for smoothness. Leave functional works of art and the beauty of precision craftsmanship to the custom gun builders and the true firearms enthusiasts and collectors.
Gun snob; bet you don't like tupperware either :lol6:

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Wow, tupperware -- must be nice to be rich.
Certainly not rich just willing to make sacrifices in order to not have to trust my life to plastic. I'm just silly that way

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Hi all,

I am a newbie when it comes to handguns, I just got my CCW. I purchased an XD-40 3" Mod 2. I got it from an online dealer and transferred to an FFL place.

When I field strip I noticed the barrel had circular marks on it and a couple scratches it seemed like. I have photos and wanted to confirm if it was supposed to come that way.

I fired 50 rounds and it seems the casings have scratches and small dent on the side when they leave the chamber. I am wondering if this is affecting the accuracy or if I really need to practice.

Anyone know if this is normal?
Completely normal; just keep shooting it. More you shoot it the smoother it will get. Change the recoil spring at 5000 rounds is the only thing you have to worry about. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does a rough chamber affect accuracy? QUOTE="sand_man, post: 619649, member: 185"]The markings you are showing are normal. They are just tool marks left by the manufactor when the barrel was made. There will be more marks as the gun is fired because there are moving parts. You need to get with an experienced pistol shooter and look at their handgun. The spent shells are expanded when fired and the extractor has to remove them from the barrel. On some guns the spent shells hit the opening upon extraction. There is a chance you could have a rough chamber but if you do it can be fixed by someone who knows what they are doing.[/QUOTE]
Does

·
Registered
15,440 Posts
Cleaning is fairly simple and should be done after every time you shoot it. If you shoot cast bullets invest in a good lead solvent. lube it sparingly and change recoil springs often. I change mine every 2000 rounds. They are cheap insurance. Remember to take your mags down every so often and clean them.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I use CLP for lube and cleaning including the bore. You may need a more aggressive bore cleaner if you shoot cast bullets as mentioned. I use a bore snake, toothbrush and rag to clean and wipe my pistols after shooting - only breaking them down for a more thorough cleaning every three times or so. YMMV

·
Premium Member
4,547 Posts
Is there such a thing as a lead solvent ? I brush the lead out of my barrels or use copper chore girl wrapped on an old brush...takes it rite out.

·
Registered
15,440 Posts
There are a couple

1 - 14 of 14 Posts