New member to the forum

Discussion in 'New Member Welcome Center' started by Cutter, Jan 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Cutter

Cutter Active Member

We are looking to move to Mississippi soon. The land is in Pike County outside McComb's city limits. I am presently living in Baton Rouge, which has gotten bad for the family (crime wise).
    I retired from my full time job the end of December and presently a gun instructor at our local gun range. Does anyone live around there and is legal to shoot on your own property like it is Liberty, MS? Are there any gun ranges near there. My real estate agent is the game warren in Pike County, but I don't want to ask him in case it is illegal. Any help on my questions would be appreciated.

2. phillipd

phillipd Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

columbus
    Welcome from Lowndes County

3. TwangBanger

TwangBanger Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

4. Cutter

Cutter Active Member

Thank you. Not sure where Lowndes Count is.

5. JohnDeere

JohnDeere Deplorable

MS
    Southwest gun club is close I think.
    Doug Brouser who is a champion of gun knowledge is in McComb.

Welcome.

6. Cutter

Cutter Active Member

Thanks, I will try and get in touch with him.

7. phillipd

phillipd Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

columbus
    Right on the Alabama line 150 miles south of memphrica and a couple hours north of jacktown

Mesquite, melmerf, fordpkup and 3 others like this.
  8. ThatGuy

ThatGuy I could only pick one, extra money, or guns.

I would figure it's legal to shoot on private property anywhere in MS as long as it's out 9f city limits and so far away from an occupied dwelling.
    It is where I'm from, and if it wasn't I'd have to move.

9. 22lrfan

22lrfan Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Welcome from Rankin Co. :hiya:

10. LearCo

LearCo Distinguished Poster

11. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Distinguished Poster

Welcome from Vicksburg.

Shooting on your property is totally OK---especially if you are not in a platted (recorded down at the Chancery Clerk's office) subdivision or inside a city limits.

In those places you COULD encounter some restrictions, but only if the local government has enacted local ordinances.

But even if the county passes a subdivision shooting restriction, they cannot ban shooting in a subdivision if your rounds are reasonably expected to stay on your own property:

--------------------------------------------
    Mississippi Code
    TITLE 45, Chapter 9. Weapons
    Restrictions upon Local Regulation of Firearms or Ammunition

§ 45-9-57. Regulation by county of discharge of any firearm within platted subdivision. A county may regulate the discharge of any firearm or weapon, other than a BB gun, within any platted subdivision. However, no county may prohibit the discharge of any firearm or weapon on land, if such firearm or weapon is discharged in a manner not reasonably expected to cause a projectile from such firearm or weapon to travel across any property line without permission of the property owner.

https://www.atf.gov/docs/undefined/firearmsstatutesandcodes-mississippipdf/download

12. Quickeye

Quickeye Vietnam&PersianGulf Wars MSGO Supporter

13. SLBcmtr

SLBcmtr Got to get to the cabin

I grew up next door in Amite County. I would recommend
    any county except Pike in southwest Mississippi.

14. melmerf

melmerf Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

:welcomemsgo:From the Delter. It's west of Lowndes County on the other side.