Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made an order to Prismatic Powders................

Prismatic Powders has a great selection and is a little cheaper than PBTP. Notice the shipping cost...

$4.00 for UPS Next Day Air shipping. You can't beat that. Medford, OR is about 60 miles from the Pacific Ocean. From label printed to my front door in 24 hours and it stopped in Louisville, KY. UPS was humping it on this order.

And here they are.............. (L-R)

Polished Aluminum - This is a base coat for the Candy Gold and other translucent colors.
Hawaiian Blue - This is an iridescent color going from dark blue to purple.
Sunshine Yellow
Gloss Black
Candy Gold - I sure hope this color works...

Tomorrow morning early I am going to cast some 44cal bullets.

·
Super Moderator
13,649 Posts
I ordered 13# from Prismatic today. I took advantage of the $4 shipping and free swatch set on orders of $150 or more. They make good powder and offer over 6000 colors but didn’t have a common one I need so I’ll hit up PBTP for 5# of that tomorrow

·
Premium Member
14,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well.................. 3 out of 4 ain't too bad.

Yesterday evening a rain came through and cooled things off. I jumped on casting a few 44cal bullets. These are 265gr SWC from an old NEI 4C mold with handles that I got years ago from Brad at Southern Bullets for $25. The mold has seen MANY hours at the casting pot, but still throws a good bullet. The bullets are a little heavy for my taste, but good.

This morning at 5:30 I got these done. All totaled I cast 325 bullets to be powder coated.

Now this is what I am talking about ! ! ! The Gloss Black from PP came out great.

This is Polished Aluminum from PP. I got this color as a base coat for the Candy Gold. This color works great and...............

This color would be good if you want your PC bullets to look like normal cast bullets. Polished Aluminum on left and as cast on right.

This is Hawaiian Blue from PP. Another winner in my book. The coverage could be a little better, but does the job. The bullets look more purple in person, but look more blue in the picture.

And the LOSER is................ If you have been keeping up with my story, you know which one it is.

Yes, it is Candy Gold. The coating is so thin it BARELY shows over the Polished Aluminum base coat. I don't see any gold.......... Oh well, tried and failed.

I also got some 44 Mag brass polished so I can load up these PC bullets.

I am liking powder coating bullets. If this process was available back in the mid 80s, I never would have messed with lubed lead bullets.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Well.................. 3 out of 4 ain't too bad.

View attachment 273368

Yesterday evening a rain came through and cooled things off. I jumped on casting a few 44cal bullets. These are 265gr SWC from an old NEI 4C mold with handles that I got years ago from Brad at Southern Bullets for $25. The mold has seen MANY hours at the casting pot, but still throws a good bullet. A little heavy for my taste, but good.

View attachment 273369

This morning at 5:30 I got these done. All totaled I cast 325 bullets to be powder coated.

View attachment 273370

Now this is what I am talking about ! ! ! The Gloss Black from PP came out great.

View attachment 273371

This is Polished Aluminum from PP. I got this color as a base coat for the Candy Gold. This color works great and...............

View attachment 273372

This color would be good if you want your PC bullets to look like normal cast bullets. Polished Aluminum on left and as cast on right.

View attachment 273373

This is Hawaiian Blue from PP. Another winner in my book. The coverage could be a little better, but does the job. The bullets look more purple in person, but look more blue in the picture.

And the LOSER is................ If you have been keeping up with my story, you know which one it is.

View attachment 273374

Yes, it is Candy Gold. The coating is so thin it BARELY shows over the Polished Aluminum base coat. I don't see any gold.......... Oh well, tried and failed.

View attachment 273376

I also got some 44 Mag brass polished so I can load up these PC bullets.

I am liking powder coating bullets. If this process was available back in the mid 80s, I never would have messed with lubed lead bullets.

I figured you’d appreciate the easy application. If you start trying to cast/coat a 1000 or so at a time…….that Lee APP press is great for sizing. Chintzy feeling tho.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Go shoot them…….let’s see what happens in the barrel. If there’s no leading,I bet you’ll be hooked on it when you’re not peering through a cloud of smoke!

·
Premium Member
14,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tried 2 new colors today. One winner and one loser..............

To my surprise white covered very well.

To my surprise...... yellow SUCKS ! ! !

This is 2 coats. Maybe I will mix the yellow with blue to make green.

·
Super Moderator
13,649 Posts
Tried 2 new colors today. One winner and one loser..............

View attachment 273436

To my surprise white covered very well.

View attachment 273437

To my surprise...... yellow SUCKS ! ! !

This is 2 coats. Maybe I will mix the yellow with blue to make green.

I hate spraying any shade of yellow on signs. Any brand, any shade sucks. I end up cooking all yellow parts at least twice if I’m lucky. It’s the worst of the light colors to use. I’ll be trying a redo tomorrow on 13 signs in yellow. I sprayed twice as much powder as normal and still had light spots. The darker the color the better the coverage and half the powder used. I price all yellow jobs at twice the price of a dark color because I’ve learned I have to spray and cook it at least twice

1 - 14 of 14 Posts