close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New range in North Mississippi?

Discussion in 'North Mississippi' started by 427notch, Jan 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. phillipd

phillipd Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

columbus
    Mr. Jimmy you are welcome here anytime.

2. 427notch

427notch Distinguished Poster

Basicly I was told the range wasn't ready yet and would be a few more weeks before classes could start.

3. canebreaker

canebreaker Distinguished Poster

Thanks Phillip, wish we were closer.
    I drove by this morning. Still a lot of dirt/mud everywhere.

phillipd likes this.
  4. canebreaker

I've had a few updates on my facebook feed, nothing about opening range yet.

phillipd and NWMissHunter71 like this.
  5. Don Goodman

Don Goodman Distinguished Poster

I'm always looking for a place to shoot. Starkville Gun Club has changed their handgun shooting lanes, making you move towards the berm to shoot anything less than 25 yds. Plus it's $100/yr, Mitch's is also 25 yds, but it's free if you're shooting a gun bought from Mitch - no prob for me. Was driving around seems like between Columbus and Steens and found a private range, fenced off - seem to remember a sign indicating some type of training. Other than these, are there other places to shoot in Columbus area?

Thanks

6. canebreaker

I guess I got spoiled at the Stones River Gun Range and that's what I'm look for. All shooters were on a concrete pad, targets could be moved. For pistol there was a concrete pad with pvc holes for the target frames to sit in at 3, 5, 7, 10, 15 yards and 50 feet. For rifle the concrete lanes were 25, 50, 75 and 100 yards. For proven shooters they could shoot one of the 200 yard lanes.

7. phillipd

columbus
    Yes, if you are willing to come out and spend a few minutes introducing yourself to me and Cousin Chris and seem to be a decent person, you are welcome to shoot at our place free of charge anytime you like. Nothing fancy, just a nice, heavy, way overbuilt ambidextrous shooting bench, and a few targets and stands on the edge of a hay field. Less than 2 miles off hwy 45N toward Caledonia. You pass right by us on the way to Mitch's. Currently the bench is set up at 100 yds, but its set up on a skid to be moved around with a 4 wheeler for longer range.

8. Don Goodman

What a nice gesture! Would love to do that. If it's ok, I'll be with my wife, Mary. How do we get there - I know, in a car or truck - but really, and when is a good time?

9. phillipd

columbus
    Thursday afternoon or anytime friday will be the next time I'll be available. Call and I'll give you directions. At work today til 1900 so might not be able to answer til after work.
    662-425-9032

deadhead likes this.
  10. Don Goodman

I really appreciate this. Am anxious to meet and talk with you and Cousin Chris. I'll call tomorrow after lunch to set up a time; it may well be Friday before we can get out - had an unexpectedly tough go of it with Dr today requiring an emergency procedure. We'll see how it goes tomorrow. Again, thanks, and look forward to our meeting!

maxhush and phillipd like this.
  11. phillipd

columbus
    Me too, Mr. Don. Once you come out and say hey, you can come shoot anytime, whether or not we are there. Just don't shoot any of Cousin Chris' goats, dump trucks, assorted junk, or park in the way of hay baling. I haven't been out there since the last frost, so bring a can of wasp spray or carb cleaner in case there's a nest or 3 under the bench.

deadhead likes this.
  12. Don Goodman

Good Morning Philip,

As a follow-up to my post on Wednesday, things have taken a little more serious turn, and I won't be getting out and about for a while - sorry, was looking forward to meeting you and Cousin Chris. I'm assuming this will get better, and when it does, I'd like to reschedule our meeting.

13. phillipd

columbus
    I hate to hear that Mr. Don. Holler anytime you are ready and let me know if I can do anything.

deadhead, fordpkup, BasMstr and 2 others like this.