Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"New" rifle at my house in Caliber .30 US

Of all the long and short guns in my home, I haven't really had a totally "practical" rifle for carrying in the woods. I have fancy single shots, high tech black rifles, and even a 10-22, but nothing that would really qualify as a full time whitetail rifle.

Given my penchant for the classics, I purchased a Browning M1895 this week in .30 US (30-40 Krag). Only 2000 of the Browning 95s were made in this caliber, way back in 1984. It came in today, and I got a chance to fire a few rounds and snap a few pictures. This is just what the doctor ordered.

I fired one magazine of four rounds just to get a feel for the trigger and stock, using Remington 180-grain factory ammo I purchased here on the forum--it worked, but I wasn't trying very hard. Range was 50 yards, elbows propped up on the bench. I adjusted the sight up a little bit, then settled down nice and steady for another magazine. The circled group is the result of that one.

· Premium Member
21,635 Posts
Re: "New" rifle at my house in Caliber .30 US

Now that looks nice -- pretty good shooting, too!! 30-40 Krag -- don't see that caliber around much these days!!

· Premium Member
855 Posts

That Sir is one beautiful rifle! Thanks for sharing.

· Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

John M. Browning designed the 1895 for Winchester, which manufactured it for almost 40 years. Teddy Roosevelt's favorite big game rifle for shooting lions in Africa was a 95 in caliber .405 Winchester. Back in the 80s and 90s, both Winchester and Browning reintroduced the 95 in limited runs, chambered in 30-40, 30-06, .270 and .405. There are quite a few of them still on the market. The rifle has a fixed internal 4-shot box magazine.

· Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.
27,850 Posts

That's a really nice rifle.

· Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

rdj94a said:
nah good cause
I'm going to have fun reloading this one. Everything I read says that it's a dream to reload, especially with lower velocity cast bullets, which is sort of my plan.

I had problems finding brass for it, but then when I did find some, the rain turned into a downpour. I very quickly managed to guarantee myself a nearly unlimited supply, so it seems I have found my forever centerfire rifle. At last count I have 480 rounds of brass, which is interesting, since I would have been more than happy with 200 or so.

· Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

I guess I'm getting more obsessive/compulsive in my old age. I found a really good deal on a new in the box Winchester 1895 in 30-06, and after letting it sit here at the house for several days, I took it out to the range and checked it out with some 150-grain Winchester factory loads. As usual, I fired a magazine to get the feel for the rifle, adjusted the sights, and fired another 4-shot string to get dialed in.

I'm seriously considering a Lyman peep sight, but the gold bead and buckhorn will do just fine. I also fired a few shots at 100 yards and was bouncing pumpkins and bits of wood off the berm quite nicely.

Here are the first eight rounds, fired at 50 yards.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.