Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
You will certainly enjoy it. Adds a whole new dimension to cooking venison don't it?

If you happen to stuff you own sausage wait until you do that in this smoker. We had bought a Green Mountain pellet grill a couple years back, the last batch of sausage turned so good even my picky wife bragged on it. Told me she hoped I had written the recipe down (I did because I had blended 4 flavors from Walton's with a bit of Rebel along with some extra touches and knew I would not remember the details) because that is how she wants it from now on. Put a heavier smoke on some of it which has been great for chopping up in steamed cabbage, which we like and eat kind of regular in the winter.

·
Premium Member
14,039 Posts
Gathering material (decent stuff,not my usual whatever is laying around) to build one now. Mine will be old school operations tho. No fancy controls or pellets burned.

·
Registered
729 Posts
You will certainly enjoy it. Adds a whole new dimension to cooking venison don't it?

If you happen to stuff you own sausage wait until you do that in this smoker. We had bought a Green Mountain pellet grill a couple years back, the last batch of sausage turned so good even my picky wife bragged on it. Told me she hoped I had written the recipe down (I did because I had blended 4 flavors from Walton's with a bit of Rebel along with some extra touches and knew I would not remember the details) because that is how she wants it from now on. Put a heavier smoke on some of it which has been great for chopping up in steamed cabbage, which we like and eat kind of regular in the winter.
Would you share your recipe or is it a family secret?

·
Registered
15,432 Posts
Gathering material (decent stuff,not my usual whatever is laying around) to build one now. Mine will be old school operations tho. No fancy controls or pellets burned.
The pellet smokers are 100% cheating and they’re basically an easy bake oven for men, but they make it stupid easy and consistent. I happen to enjoy tending a fire, so it doesn’t bother me to use wood and coals, but when we extend our back porch I’ll be getting a nice pellet smoker, just for the extra capacity and minimal effort they take.

I did a 9lb pork butt, a few pounds of sausage and about 5lbs of pork belly on my PK yesterday and I was at it from 3:00am till 7pm when everyone showed up to eat. A pellet smoker(or at least full size traditional smoker) would’ve at least let me sleep till a decent time.

·
Premium Member
14,039 Posts
The pellet smokers are 100% cheating and they’re basically an easy bake oven for men, but they make it stupid easy and consistent. I happen to enjoy tending a fire, so it doesn’t bother me to use wood and coals, but when we extend our back porch I’ll be getting a nice pellet smoker, just for the extra capacity and minimal effort they take.

I did a 9lb pork butt, a few pounds of sausage and about 5lbs of pork belly on my PK yesterday and I was at it from 3:00am till 7pm when everyone showed up to eat. A pellet smoker(or at least full size traditional smoker) would’ve at least let me sleep till a decent time.
Yeah my brother has one.......it’s pathetically easy to smoke stuff with one. I like to poke at the fire and watch things happen. Plus I don’t do it enough to justify the money. Hell most of the time I consume ham sandwiches anyhow lol

·
Nocturnal Specialties
7,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The post office must have lost my invitation.
Hahahah. Its prolly with the carrier pigeon I lost from that last storm.
And my midway package that's been "in transit" for 23 days now.

I do like the pellet grill alot. I can clean up all the meat and start cooking it and work on stuff while I wait.

One of the hind quarters smoked for 8 hours Thursday. It was fantastic!

·
Nocturnal Specialties
7,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

This is how easy it is.
It's wifi control so it sends me alerts when it's up to temp or temp drops or when it's ready.
We went to track a deer this evening when the smoker was on. Could keep a check on it from 8 miles away. Pretty handy when you never stop running.

·
Deplorable Curmudgeon
16,830 Posts
I used an old Brinkman R2D2 charcoal water smoker for years
Then I bought an electric. I missed the smoky taste of the charcoal so i add a few pieces in with my wood

Nonnie, Does the Camp chef have a water trey?

·
Deplorable Curmudgeon
16,830 Posts
I have a 300 gallon old propane tank. that would make one heck of an offset smoker, come get it., bring me a cold coke cola

·
Nocturnal Specialties
7,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I used an old Brinkman R2D2 charcoal water smoker for years
Then I bought an electric. I missed the smoky taste of the charcoal so i add a few pieces in with my wood

Nonnie, Does the Camp chef have a water trey?
It does not. But you can put one on the drip tray if you wanted.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Sorry it has taken me so long to get this recipe posted. Every time I would remember to do it I was not with the computer and visa versa would not remember when it was handy. Finally got both factors coordinated.

Blended Sausage 4/21/2020

Half pouch/packet (4oz) each of Walton’s Sausage Seasonings #1504, #147, #H110, & Holly plus added 3oz Rebel Butcher Supply mostly because I had a bit over 50 full pounds of meat, had the Rebel on hand, and like the Rebel seasoning blend. Had an old hand at deer sausage tell me years ago that venison takes more seasonings than straight pork and his suggestion was to use about 10% less meat per seasonings when making venison sausage so I try to stay around that which is why I had to add the Rebel to this 53 lbs batch.
(Walton's seasonings mostly come packed in half pound quantities to make 25lbs of finished sausage and I had used half of each packet earlier to make 10-11 lbs of each kind separately.)

Pork 27 lbs 4 oz
Venison 26 lbs
4 oz Walton #1504
4 oz Walton #147
4 oz Walton #H110
4 oz Walton #Holly
3 tsp Cayenne Powder
1 tsp Black Pepper
½ of a 2 oz bottle Crushed Red Pepper (Pizza Flake type)
Cure Salt #1 Pink
1 Cup Cold Water to aid stuffing flow (I dissolve the cure salt in the water while prepping the meats.)

Since this was a smoked link sausage I also added the Cure stuff at the recommended rate which I have to look up each time I do this. Basically this site says 1 oz by weight per 25 lbs sausage.
Cure Per Pound Calculator

1 - 20 of 23 Posts