Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m fairly new to cap and ball revolvers and i wanted to get a couple of opinions about this Pietta Starr revolver. It shoots fine except for two of the nipples are a couple thousands higher than the others so often i’ll get a mis-fire. What would be the best nipple brand to replace the factory ones with? Also, is there any way to not make my point of impact 12” above my point of aim @20yards? What is the current value of this thing?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Sights generally need sanding or filing down a bit.
One of the competent gunsmith will chime in.

Nipples are fairly general in threading, dixie gun works, brownells etc should have some

·
Registered
9,646 Posts
If your gun is shooting 12" above point of aim, the front site on this fixed sight revolver needs to be higher or the rear site lower. Since the front site appears to be dovetailed into the barrel, it would be easiest to put in a higher front site. I don't remember if the rear site on a Starr is a groove in the topstrap or if it is a notch in the hammer (as on the Colt's), but I'm guessing it is a groove in the topstrap since it has a topstrap; in either case, working with the front site is the easiest fix.

Pietta has been making fine weapons since long before anyone here was born. Quality-wise, I would expect the gun to be very well made. Haven't sold a cap and ball pistol in so long that I'd have no idea about it's value.

If you think the two higher nipples are causing the misfires, measure the other nipples and file down the offending ones to the same length and see if that helps; if it doesn't, replace them. You might want to check the size of the flash hole in those also. Dixie gun works should be able to supply replacements. Check the thread size...they are gonna be metric.

·
Premium Member
Let's go shoot some, we dont want to wound anything.
6,311 Posts
Check the hole inside all of the nipples that there is no obstructions. Make sure that you are using a good high quality cap. You could just replace all the nipples so as to make sure that they are uniform. Keep your powder dry, the nipple ports unobstructed and it should go boom.
I agree on the front sight probably needs to be lowered . I usually file a little, then shoot.
Once you get the height down some and it hitting where you want it, you can take a Q-Tip and dip in a bottle of cold bluing and rub a little on the top of the sight. Dry with a cloth. Once you get the color right , rub some oil on the sight to stop rust.Unless you want to take some nail polish and accent the top of your sight.

Reactions: Quickeye

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well i sure do appreciate the advice, the rear sight is however notched into the hammer right on the striking surface of it so i’m not sure if it could be adjusted any.. maybe i’ll just have to aim low or something. Other than that i agree that it is a fine quality piece and i’ll be checking out dixie gun works. I might just go ahead and order some of the stainless steal nipples while i’m at it.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check the hole inside all of the nipples that there is no obstructions. Make sure that you are using a good high quality cap. You could just replace all the nipples so as to make sure that they are uniform. Keep your powder dry, the nipple ports unobstructed and it should go boom.
I agree on the front sight probably needs to be lowered . I usually file a little, then shoot.
Once you get the height down some and it hitting where you want it, you can take a Q-Tip and dip in a bottle of cold bluing and rub a little on the top of the sight. Dry with a cloth. Once you get the color right , rub some oil on the sight to stop rust.Unless you want to take some nail polish and accent the top of your sight.
I bought it “new” never fired and i used CCI #11 caps with the first few shots i just noticed those particular two wouldn’t seat as far as the others an when the hammer struck them it just pushed it further down and then it would maybe fire the second or third go around.

·
Premium Member
6,311 Posts
I had good results with CCI many years ago when I hunted with Black powder. Before I used Remington but liked the CCI better and switched.On these reproduction six shooters I think the reason that the front sights were high is back in the day they drew and practiced [Instinct Shooting] where today we point aim and shoot.

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
With the constant pounding of the hammer on the nipple, you might want to invest $5.99 in a oxy-acetylene torch
nozzle cleaner. They are thin enough to fit thru the small diameter hole of the nipple. You get about ten different sizes in a tin all cobbled together. (Go to Air-Gas, etc.)
Changing nipples can be problematic, not just matching nipple thread to cylinder thread, but the length, or lack thereof of the threading on the new nipples and the threads cut into the cylinder may be of different depths.
I'd also try a tin of # 10 caps as the opening may be just enough to solve your problem.
Also check your hammer for cleanliness in the cup if there is one. Could be some foreign matter built up or a piece of old cap may be stuck. And check for an absolutely flat surface where hammer strikes. Is hammer contacting recoil shield wall on frame?
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
6,311 Posts
Those do come in handy Quickeye , I got my torch cleaner tools several years past my muzzleloading days. Mine has little file like ridges. I make them to good use when cleaning up and giving 1100s a complete going over. The larger ones I use for cleaning the gas port.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’ll look into those cleaning brushes, that’s a good idea. I tried some #10 caps and they wouldn’t seat on any of the nipples.

·
Registered
16,497 Posts
I’ll look into those cleaning brushes, that’s a good idea. I tried some #10 caps and they wouldn’t seat on any of the nipples.
A piece of advice: Take your nipples out while you still can and apply a little anti-seize to the threads. They have a tendency to get nearly welded in place fairly quickly without it. DAMHIK. ;)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A piece of advice: Take your nipples out while you still can and apply a little anti-seize to the threads. They have a tendency to get nearly welded in place fairly quickly without it. DAMHIK. ;)
Will do, didn’t think about that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts