Mississippi Gun Owners banner

New to long range

4K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  S.W.G.C.JBMIII 
#1 ·
Interested in long range shooting. Considering buying a Remington 700 5-R. The cost is around $500 dollars more because it is Milspec. Anybody have any thoughts on if the extra cost is worth it?

#2 ·
I would contact Steve Moore, retired Lt. Com. USN, who lives with his parents in Carthage. Great guy, full of hands on experience shooting long range, mostly military stuff in the middle east. Steve is currently employed by the MS G&F running the range at the Turkotte (sp?) location above the Ross Barnett. If anyone was familiar with the rifle you are asking about, with first hand experience, it would be Steve.
Best to You, Tim

#4 ·
Well first off - Everyone's definition of "long range" is different

Technically - 600 yard F class is mid-range a thou is long range

Currently - There are not a lot of places in Ms where you can play...so fill your gas tank....

There are lots of different types of competitions...not just F class

You also have benchrest, High Power, Sniper matches

You might wanna clarify what you want to play in.

If you decide to shoot F class, I'd steer clear of the calibers that put you in Open right off. The Open boys play rough...

I'd do a little research on the various games first...maybe go see a few matches before I made any moves...There's a F class match in Palo Alto, La this Sat

A good place to start if you are not overly hung up on the classification thing is Field Precision Rifle (F class)....minimal equipment needed....commercial bipod...lay down and shoot

Better learn to embrace being anal about reloading....

Just my 2 cents...Good Luck

#5 ·
@ msredneck:

To me, long range is over 200 yards. Never having shot at anything over 100 yards and that was with open sights. Like I said, it's all very new to me. The choice of a .308 caliber was because that is a caliber that I have fired before (m14 issued to me). A couple guys I work with each shoot a Remington 700 .308 and that is also partly where I got the idea.

Thanks for the info, though...

#6 ·
The extra cost includes a good HS stock as well....other remington stocks just wouldnt compare. THe 5 R isnt a bad gun and it will shoot accurate enough out to 600 yards. You could get certain smiths in MS to build you a custom for alittle more or even a little less than a 5 R though. If you have the right gear and the conditions are favorable long range isnt to difficult...its when you have wind, angles, and temp variances that the game changes.

#7 ·
Sprkchsr said:
@ msredneck:

To me, long range is over 200 yards. Never having shot at anything over 100 yards and that was with open sights. Like I said, it's all very new to me. The choice of a .308 caliber was because that is a caliber that I have fired before (m14 issued to me). A couple guys I work with each shoot a Remington 700 .308 and that is also partly where I got the idea.

Thanks for the info, though...
To elaborate, a lot of us are NRA competitors. By NRA rules short range is 0-200, mid range is 200-600, and long range is 600-1000.

Just curious, from who and when were you issued an M14 and never fired over 100 yards?

I hope to see you shooting matches soon!

#8 ·
@ PhillipM:

Uncle Sam's new Navy saw fit to issue me an M14 while on the USS Seattle in 2002-2004. We were trained in "simulated 100 yards" which means a tiny black dot while at 25 yards that was to simulate a silhouette @ 100. I did do A LOT of M14 shooting while training @ Blackwater and that is where I began to love that rifle. When I transferred to the GW in 2004, I was saddened to see that they did not keep M14s in the armory.

In any case, thank you for the clarification on the differences in ranges. As I stated before, I am new to shooting anything other than open sights. From what I've learned speaking with other shooters and researching topics online, I have become of the opinion that a .308 is not best suited for ranges of 600-1000 yards; however, I do know that with practice, patience and the proper knowledge it can be done.

Thank you for the reply. Have been watching the posts in the "long range shooting threads" and continue to remain interested.

Sprkchsr

#9 ·
Go to a big box store, any big box store. Buy a Savage (my choice) or Remington @ just under 400.00. Call your choice of barrel maker. Wait......Wait.......Wait........ (You can save dollars and time by ordering a pre-fit). Have a smith put the barrel on for you. Roughly 1000.00 total - less with a prefit. Get a bipod. $$$? Scope ?$$$
Voila!
You have a long range/benchrest /F-Class gun. I don't know about the conventional sight competitions. Phillip can help you more there. Lane is correct. .308 is great for just about anything other than F/Open. F/Open guys are really more like Belly Benchresters (Although I wouldn't necessarily say that we "....play rough") Open Class shooters taught me to shoot in Open Class - you know, in between belly laughs (ok that was kinda rough LOL). I'm one of the few who originally tried .308 in F/Open.
I'll spare everyone the horror of that experience. LOL
BTW On Paris Island in 1971, the USMC issued me an M-14. Very shortly thereafter they took them away. Later on the US Army issued me an M-16. I think they are still shooting those in one form or another. It's semantics. They're M-16s. Looks like most of em got scopes of some description nowadays.
Things have really changed.

#10 ·
@ suberjc

Thanks for the advice. As to the M16, I was issued those as well. Supposedly the Navy got them after the Army had already used and abused them. Every once in a while I would receive and M4 during a security alert or something but I have never been a huge fan of the M16/AR15/M4 platform, not to say that they do not have advantages, the most readily apparent to a squid standing watch is that the m4 is much lighter than the m14. Also to be taken in consideration were the full size M16s with the grenade launcher attachments, those were heavier than an m4 as well. Guess if the worst thing I had to complain about during my military service was the difference in the weights of the guns I was issued then I got off light! LOL!

Guess I moved off target here but you know how squids love a sea story.

#11 ·
I am also trying to get started in f-class. I purchased a savage 12lrp in .260 for 910.00. A mueller scope 229.00. I am purchasing things as I can or as I can find it on sell. I agree with suberjc go to some of the shoots and talk to the guys. I have gotten alot of help from them. jimbo300,suberjc,brianalex .

#12 ·
Sprkchsr said:
...Guess I moved off target here but you know how squids love a sea story.
I can move off target quicker than that... I was just in Carthage visiting with relatives last Saturday. Had a nice large family gathering on Franklin Street.
The M-14/M1A is good for man sized targets out to half a mile with as issued iron sights.

#13 ·
Sprkchsr...Go with the 700,price is right and be built into something awesome...308 is good. :2c:

Shooting .308 or .223 won't limit U in what class U can shoot. F t/r or Open.

jr28763,...like your buy....but ya stuck yourself in Open Class, with that gun.
U Can shoot FPR, the NRA does not like this style of shooting as of yet.
Jimbo maybe doing a schooling on FPR or Brian?? 7/14... I might get in on this class.

Class is in :wel4: 7/7 Palo Alto. Most all shoot there...

Don't mind me I'm just a nobody in this sport. :eyeroll:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.