Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I glanced at face book market place today. Someone has a generator split 20 amp adapter cord for $5. I check it out online, $30. We made arrangements to meet 2 miles from my house. Back home I look online for 30 and 50 amp rv plugs, $13. Do I want to rebuild the cord for two 15 amp plugs or two 20/25 amp plugs? Either way I've saved about half on a new cord. All campgrounds we use have 50/30/15 amp outlets in the box. My camper is 30 amp and I have a 50/30 amp adapter.

·
Registered
7,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I went with the 30 amp plug since Home Depot and Lowes only had them in stock. Had to search through other boxes to find them.
My oldest son was in a tent on our last camping trip. The shore power box on his site was 50/30/15 with the 15 tripping the breaker. He used my 30/15 adapter, we didn't have a 2 or 3 way plug so he was limited to use 1 electric item at a time.

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
14,076 Posts
I glanced at face book market place today. Someone has a generator split 20 amp adapter cord for $5. I check it out online, $30. We made arrangements to meet 2 miles from my house. Back home I look online for 30 and 50 amp rv plugs, $13. Do I want to rebuild the cord for two 15 amp plugs or two 20/25 amp plugs? Either way I've saved about half on a new cord. All campgrounds we use have 50/30/15 amp outlets in the box. My camper is 30 amp and I have a 50/30 amp adapter.
I went with the 30 amp plug since Home Depot and Lowes only had them in stock. Had to search through other boxes to find them.
My oldest son was in a tent on our last camping trip. The shore power box on his site was 50/30/15 with the 15 tripping the breaker. He used my 30/15 adapter, we didn't have a 2 or 3 way plug so he was limited to use 1 electric item at a time.
Where is @rigrat when you have some "electricity" questions...!!! :D

Reactions: Mesquite

·
Registered
7,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was a wet weekend to be camping, fishing was out of the question. My plans were to plug my 30 amp camper to the 50 amp outlet using a 50/30 adapter. Use the 30/15 amp split adapter and the 2 15 amp outlets. That way I would reduce the amount used per cord between the outlet box and the patio area of my campsite.
I keep the camper plugged into the house using a 12 gauge extension cord and a 15/30 adapter to keep the battery charged. Last week during a rain storm lights went off 4 times, I didn't think about a surge to the camper with the converter on. Wednesday evening I turned the fridge on. Thursday evening I pack cold stuff in the fridge. Friday morning I hitch the camper to the truck. Unplug the extension cord, roll it up and put in the truck. Unplug the adapter from the 30 amp cord. Nope, it's fried. Using a screwdriver to pry them apart I pulled one of the blades from the camper plug. Ok, at camp I'll set up as much as I can, remove the plug from the splitter cord and replace the plug on the camper's cord. Got it replaced just as a heavy shower started. Now I'm back to over loading the 15 amp double outlets.
A screw up at the campground. We had site 133 reserved, a family took our site instead of their reserved site of 132. The husband returned home with the truck to work. Ok, we'll take their site for our stay. Just as I get the camper set up the host comes up. Site 132 is reserved Sunday, we'll have to move before 3 pm. If we stay I'll move the camper over 1 site when those people leave. All is ok with the host. More rain is coming, do I move and not fish or head home since I have to hitch to the truck. I drove home in the rain.
The replacement plug won't fit in the box in the camper. I watched it all the way home. When the cord would come out about a foot I'd stop and stick it back in. I'll be headed to the stores with the old plug to find a replacement. Hope to find a short per made cord to add on.

·
Registered
7,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went to walmart, Home Depot and Lowes looking for any type of 30 amp rv cord that might work as a replacement plug. A trip to Southaven RV sales too. No one had anything that could be used. Then a trip to camping world in Olive Branch. They had a 12" pigtail with a loop as a handle for $14. Back home I make sure the plug will fit in the box and made the splice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts