New tool

Discussion in 'Reloading/Ammunition' started by Ellis93, Mar 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Ellis93

Ellis93 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

collet bullet puller.
    Anyone have an opinion on it? Use it? Tips on using it?
    IMG_4432.JPG

Mesquite likes this.
  2. gunsinger

gunsinger Distinguished Poster

Petal, MS
    I never used one like that.

3. sidk

sidk Distinguished Poster

Byram
    I bought one like it a few months ago to pull bullets out of some 223 ammo and it worked great. It was easy to set up and was way faster than one of the hammer type pullers.

canebreaker, 45flattop and Ellis93 like this.
  4. Ellis93

That's what I figured when I seen it. Now I just have to buy all the different collets. This collet within the tool is just to pull 308/7.62 stuff.

Mesquite likes this.
  5. Redlick83

Redlick83 Distinguished Poster

Starkville
    I have used one once at a friends house, I typically use the hammer style. Hornady makes a cam action puller that is really nice also

Mesquite likes this.
  6. TwangBanger

TwangBanger Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

If it pulls bullets at all, then it works better than my kinetic puller. :groan:

CajunBP and Redlick83 like this.
  7. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo Distinguished Poster

I have the RCBS puller as pictured; its a good puller but the Hornady is better. Too late for me to switch as I've already invested in all the collets. That said it works well for me just a bit slower than the Hornady. Only thing to watch out for is over tightening and marring the bullet when pulling.

8. Leadburner

Leadburner Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

What he said. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^:yeah:

Mesquite, Ellis93 and para40 like this.
  9. Shrek

Shrek Distinguished Poster

ditto

10. shoeshooter

shoeshooter Distinguished Poster

Florence
    While cleaning up the bench I recently found a new in package Hornady one I bought five or so years ago. like Christmas in march.

11. phillipd

phillipd Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

columbus
    I can't afford anything in a green or blue box. I have bought some surplus pulled bullets though. Most were fine but some were too scarred up to use. I think you'll like it when you get used to it

Ellis93 likes this.
  12. Ellis93

This one was won with a bid. Otherwise I can't either lol

Mesquite and phillipd like this.
  13. oldguns

oldguns Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Ellisville
    I have the Hornady, comes in very handy for disassembling old milsurp ammo.

14. oldguns

oldguns Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Ellisville
    I find that a sharp jerk on the press handle works better for me to pop old bullets loose, than being gentle. Some have been in for 75 years, with a crimp.

22lrfan likes this.
  15. canebreaker

canebreaker Distinguished Poster

I have the Forster Universal with all the collets I need and like it.

Quickeye likes this.
  16. JMILLER

JMILLER Full Poster

Laurel
    I have the Hornady cam lock bullet puller. It is the best thing made since the watch pocket. I had been thinking that there should be something made to use in the
    Press to pull bullets. About a week later I was in Bass pro shop in pearl.
    I saw them on the shelf and almost jerked my arm out of socket grabbing one.
    THERE WERE ONLY TWO LEFT. you could tell just by looking at it that it would
    work. And it does,really well.

17. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo Distinguished Poster

Just an FYI; Amazon seems to have the best price on collets. Over the past two years I've collected every collet that RCBS makes. Pretty much managed to do it for $10 or less per collet by watching them on Amazon (prices fluctuate depending on seller and time of year).

Ellis93 and rigrat like this.
  18. Doc

Doc Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I am a little late to this thread - but I have been using one exactly like that since the 70's - get an assortment of collets and you will be good to go-
    You will learn little tricks as you use it - like how deep to screw it into your press so that when you tighten the collet the rod is not in the way of your press handle ---
    I have tried other types but always (got rid of them) went back to that one ....

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    CajunBP and Ellis93 like this.
  19. Yarob

Yarob Distinguished Poster

22lrfan and Redlick83 like this.
  20. namsag

namsag Distinguished Poster

Tupelo
    I have the Hornady version, it works well. But if I had ever heard of that Grip-n-Pull I would have gotten one of those first! Actually, I have read in several places that it doesn't matter if you pull the bullets with a pair of pliers or even a pair of side cutters, it makes no difference in accuracy. But, they just aren't as pretty!

phillipd and Yarob like this.