Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy a night vision scope from $500-$700. In that price range I have found sightmark and ATN that I like. Has anyone had experiences with night vision on the ones around that price range? Looking for horror stories or reviews before I buy one. (Sightmark photon rt) (atn xsight 2 & 4k). Looking for suggestions and comments. Will be put on a 308.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Not sure about the other one but my neighbor has the sight mark..he uses it for coyotes..I’ve shot it a few time. The scope is impressive for it price range..for nighttime critters it’s very clear...FYI Only thing I didn’t like is when you out in the field hunting you need something else to look through besides the scope to survey everything. Maybe a cheap monocular

·
I’ve got one more silver dollar
917 Posts
Not sure about the other one but my neighbor has the sight mark..he uses it for coyotes..I’ve shot it a few time. The scope is impressive for it price range..for nighttime critters it’s very clear...FYI Only thing I didn’t like is when you out in the field hunting you need something else to look through besides the scope to survey everything. Maybe a cheap monocular
I’m not understanding the need for another device to scan with . What makes the night vision scope not suitable for that purpose ?

·
μολὼν λαβέ
37,045 Posts
Has anyone got experience with the Wraith, X-sight or 4k?

And what would be the absolutely most inexpensive thermal on the market worth owning. It would be so checking out the place at night if need arose and the occasional critter.

·
SpeedSpeed
373 Posts
I have a wraith. I really like it. The factory IR sucks. However with a sniper hawg light it is bad ass. I have killed multiple hogs and coyotes with it. It doesn’t compare to thermal, however it’s way cheaper. Rig as far as the inexpensive thermal that is still good I would look into a hogster. They run about $3k. If anyone is looking for a new one hit me up

·
SpeedSpeed
373 Posts
Has anyone got experience with the Wraith, X-sight or 4k?

And what would be the absolutely most inexpensive thermal on the market worth owning. It would be so checking out the place at night if need arose and the occasional critter.
See my comment below. As far as occasional critter id just get a wraith

·
Registered
506 Posts
I’m not understanding the need for another device to scan with . What makes the night vision scope not suitable for that purpose ?
Well when I used it sitting in a field at night calling yotes they come from any direction and it was kinda aggravating trying to continually scan 360 with the rifle. It’s pitch black can’t see anything ..but you can use the scope it was just my opinion a secondary night device would make things a lot better.

·
SpeedSpeed
373 Posts
So if you have a thermal scanner it really helps. With night vision it’s just like looking through a normal digital scope. It doesn’t put off heat just the outline of an animal. But if you have a night vision scope and a thermal scanner, you can just glance with the scanner and if it kicks up with some heat you have a precise area to check with the night vision or the scanner

·
Registered
96 Posts
To add to the sidebar: the Leupold LTO for about $7xx would be a good sidekick to one of the Sightmark units at around $5-7xx. I’ve seen both locally(Collins) so availability shouldn’t be an issue. Also have seen the thermal ATN(maybe it was Sightmark) locally. No experience with any of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
SpeedSpeed
373 Posts
To add to the sidebar: the Leupold LTO for about $7xx would be a good sidekick to one of the Sightmark units at around $5-7xx. I’ve seen both locally(Collins) so availability shouldn’t be an issue. Also have seen the thermal ATN(maybe it was Sightmark) locally. No experience with any of them.

The rack has the new wraiths in now. I think they have a wilder field of view

·
Registered
96 Posts
The rack has the new wraiths in now. I think they have a wilder field of view
Covington County Supply also has some. They seem to be a dealer of one or both of the above mentioned NV scope choices.

·
I’ve got one more silver dollar
917 Posts
Well when I used it sitting in a field at night calling yotes they come from any direction and it was kinda aggravating trying to continually scan 360 with the rifle. It’s pitch black can’t see anything ..but you can use the scope it was just my opinion a secondary night device would make things a lot better.
That makes sense. I like hearing other people’s experiences with these scope as I have not used one much.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts