Mississippi Gun Owners banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
I’ve got one more silver dollar
861 Posts
I have a wraith. I really like it. The factory IR sucks. However with a sniper hawg light it is bad ass. I have killed multiple hogs and coyotes with it. It doesn’t compare to thermal, however it’s way cheaper. Rig as far as the inexpensive thermal that is still good I would look into a hogster. They run about $3k. If anyone is looking for a new one hit me up

I’m researching the Hogster as one of my choices for a thermal. You mentioned hitting you up for a new one, are you a dealer?

·
Nocturnal Specialties
7,271 Posts
Looking to buy a night vision scope from $500-$700. In that price range I have found sightmark and ATN that I like. Has anyone had experiences with night vision on the ones around that price range? Looking for horror stories or reviews before I buy one. (Sightmark photon rt) (atn xsight 2 & 4k). Looking for suggestions and comments. Will be put on a 308.
What are you planning on using it for?

·
μολὼν λαβέ
36,492 Posts
Personally I have been thinking about one of the same. My uses would be occasional try to shoot a yote and if need be the boogerman if and when he came around.

·
Registered
285 Posts
If you want it for dual use hunting and home defense I would probably go with a night vision monocular on a bump helmet or skull crusher mount and a laser on your rifle.

That’s what I use for pigs and yotes and I like it a lot better. Home defense with a thermal or ATN NV scope is pretty unrealistic.

·
Registered
17,647 Posts
I have an ATN Thor LT (3-6x). It's an entry level thermal but I watched deer
at 175 to 200 yds this (past) season and would have felt comfortable taking
a shot.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
36,492 Posts
Any HD would purely be static position , ie.. sniping from the woods.

And are there any helmet mounted monoculars with ir lasers for $500-600 or less?

·
Registered
10,122 Posts

And are there any helmet mounted monoculars with ir lasers for $500-600 or less?
Sionyx is a digital NV there are others that are cheaper but they don’t have great range or are somewhat sketchy.

·
Registered
285 Posts

No.

Home defense situations are dynamic using a cheap Gen 1 NV aiming device or thermal optic to shoot suspected trespassers is a bad idea.

I would just stick to hunting with that budget.

·
Super Moderator
13,345 Posts
I’m not understanding the need for another device to scan with . What makes the night vision scope not suitable for that purpose ?
I’m certainly not an expert, but I recently played around with a few options. Neighbor bought an $1100 ATN scope. It’s mounted on a rifle and has to be zeroed. A fellow forum member came to visit and brought 3 thermal options. Two of them were rail mounted in front of a dedicated regular scope. Big difference. It’s a job to scan a field/plot, etc with a rifle. So much better to find your target with hand held then go to a rifle on a bipod/tripod/shooting sticks. Both work but one way is so much better. Unfortunately the better way is outta my league for now.

·
Rational Anarchist
14,395 Posts
I’m certainly not an expert, but I recently played around with a few options. Neighbor bought an $1100 ATN scope. It’s mounted on a rifle and has to be zeroed. A fellow forum member came to visit and brought 3 thermal options. Two of them were rail mounted in front of a dedicated regular scope. Big difference. It’s a job to scan a field/plot, etc with a rifle. So much better to find your target with hand held then go to a rifle on a bipod/tripod/shooting sticks. Both work but one way is so much better. Unfortunately the better way is outta my league for now.
Exactly, it not much different than carrying binoculars when you are hunting with a rifle that has a scope on it.

·
Nocturnal Specialties
7,271 Posts
Hog hunting on 458 socom or 556
IF all your going to use it for is hog hunting id look into thermal. I tried using a PVS14 for awhile and ended up going to Thermal and never looked back.
I do a lot of deer depredation shooting in the summer and have made hits out to 750 yards with a 20" 223.

If you wanted something to put on a helmet for walking and scanning that's completely different. Night vision works best for that but scanning through brush NV doesnt work good at all.
Ive been using a FLIR Pro PTS233 Thermal and a FLIR RS32 thermal before that.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts