Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new Nikon P-223 3-9x40 scope, and opted for the one-piece M-223 mount. After mounting the scope to my Windham AR-15, I noticed the mount still moves around quite a bit. I don't have a torque wrench for inch-pounds, but I tightened everything a far as I dared - but it's still flopping around! Has anyone else had this problem? Any assistance/advice/tips would be welcomed.

·
Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.
20,320 Posts
:hmm:
I have the Nikon 2 piece and the 1 piece M-223 mounts, they both tightened up fine.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
?perhaps wrong mount was shipped possible.??
Moves around as in front & back motion or just plain loose?
Just loose, almost like the cross bolts aren't fat enough to fill the T-slots in the picatinny rail. Side-to-side, it's pretty tight. But the mount still moves slightly back-and-forth.

·
Premium Member
10,223 Posts
I was going to suggest perhaps differences between weaver rail & picattany. But no noticeable difference. 0.84 wide , slots o.209 wide. for both.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where did you purchase it?
Amazon. Got a response on TheHighRoad forum reminding me that this is not like a free-floating mount. So I'm thinking I simply need to tighten the cross-bolts more, to flex the bottom closed. Guess I'm going to have to find an inch-pound torque wrench now!

·
Registered
15,400 Posts
Amazon. Got a response on TheHighRoad forum reminding me that this is not like a free-floating mount. So I'm thinking I simply need to tighten the cross-bolts more, to flex the bottom closed. Guess I'm going to have to find an inch-pound torque wrench now!
I had one at one time on a 300blk Handi rifle. I don’t recall it being that hard to tighten down. Could be that the gun’s rail or the mount is out of spec.

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
I've never run into mounts I couldn't adequately tighten on the bases, but there is always a little initial plat in Weaver-type mounts/bases. Long ago I got into the habit of pushing the mounts forward before tightening completely since recoil will tent to make them slide forward if it has any affect at all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts