Nikon P223 scope w/ M223 mount

Discussion in 'Optics and Accessories' started by 4x4moses, Feb 20, 2018.

1. 4x4moses

4x4moses Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I just got a new Nikon P-223 3-9x40 scope, and opted for the one-piece M-223 mount. After mounting the scope to my Windham AR-15, I noticed the mount still moves around quite a bit. I don't have a torque wrench for inch-pounds, but I tightened everything a far as I dared - but it's still flopping around! Has anyone else had this problem? Any assistance/advice/tips would be welcomed.

2. bubbat

bubbat Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.

Clinton
    :hmm:
    I have the Nikon 2 piece and the 1 piece M-223 mounts, they both tightened up fine.

Mesquite and tWillis like this.

3. Mesquite

Mesquite Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

?perhaps wrong mount was shipped possible.??
    Moves around as in front & back motion or just plain loose?

4x4moses likes this.
  4. 4x4moses

Just loose, almost like the cross bolts aren't fat enough to fill the T-slots in the picatinny rail. Side-to-side, it's pretty tight. But the mount still moves slightly back-and-forth.

Mesquite likes this.
  5. jakeg823

jakeg823 Distinguished Poster

Richland
    Where did you purchase it?

4x4moses and Mesquite like this.
  6. Mesquite

Mesquite Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I was going to suggest perhaps differences between weaver rail & picattany. But no noticeable difference. 0.84 wide , slots o.209 wide. for both.

4x4moses likes this.
  7. 4x4moses

Amazon. Got a response on TheHighRoad forum reminding me that this is not like a free-floating mount. So I'm thinking I simply need to tighten the cross-bolts more, to flex the bottom closed. Guess I'm going to have to find an inch-pound torque wrench now!

Mesquite likes this.
  8. jakeg823

jakeg823 Distinguished Poster

Richland
    I had one at one time on a 300blk Handi rifle. I don’t recall it being that hard to tighten down. Could be that the gun’s rail or the mount is out of spec.

9. Vick

Vick Distinguished Poster

I've never run into mounts I couldn't adequately tighten on the bases, but there is always a little initial plat in Weaver-type mounts/bases. Long ago I got into the habit of pushing the mounts forward before tightening completely since recoil will tent to make them slide forward if it has any affect at all.

rigrat, Mesquite and 4x4moses like this.