Nikon's?

Discussion in 'Optics and Accessories' started by rigrat, Jan 1, 2018.

1. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

Are Nikon Prostaff scopes good scopes? I was thinking of getting a Nikon Prostaff 3-9X40 Matte with BDC.

What are the Nikon Prostaff pro's and cons?

Jarhead5811 likes this.
  2. Vick

Vick Distinguished Poster

I've got Nikon's on two guns and have been pleased with them. Nikon has been making top quality lenses for a lot of years!

94LEVERFAN, Quickeye, maxhush and 3 others like this.

3. ThatGuy

ThatGuy I could only pick one, extra money, or guns.

Why buy a nikon when for a similar price you could own a vortex. I own both and if I could only keep one the nikon would have to go.
    That being said they are good scopes but for the same price you could get a vortex which I've found better in my opinion.

4. jakeg823

jakeg823 Distinguished Poster

Richland
    Even assuming quality is equal, Vortex still has the best CS in the industry, IMO.

5. ThatGuy

That's good to know, I've never had to use them 'knock on wood. But I bought a vortex crossfire ii 6-18x44mm and it blew my socks off, I've never looked through a $150-200 scope that was so crisp.

6. Cliff731

Cliff731 Danged ole' Hermit...

Rigrat... I'm with Vick here... Nikon has been making leading world class cameras, camera lenses, sport optics, and rifle scopes for decades. Nikon sport optics and rifle scopes are an important part of their business as witnessed by their usually large and impressive presence at the annual SHOT Show each year.

Two Nikon rifle scopes and one pair of Nikon field binoculars here... :)

7. bubbat

bubbat Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.

Clinton
    Don't know about the Pro Staff, I just put a Nikon P-223 on one of my ARs a couple months ago that I like alot.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  8. jakeg823

jakeg823 Distinguished Poster

Richland
    For the money Nikon really is a great option. But, as stated above, I’d give Vortex a look. Their lower end models(like the Prostaff and the Crossfire II) are more or less on par with each other, but Vortex CS really is the best you’ll find.

I’ve owned a few Nikons though, including a prostaff and have zero complaints.

9. patchz

patchz Court Jester

Never had one of their scopes but I've got a Nikon D5100 digital camera that is great.

10. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

I was thinking of the Nikon Prostaff's because I can get them with safety points from work. I could look into what Academy Sports has and get Academy gift cards instead.

Good to hear that those that have them really like them.

11. bubbat

bubbat Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.

Clinton
    Was just looking at the Academy website, this the Pro Staff you're looking at?
    Nikon ProStaff BDC 3 - 9 x 40 Riflescope | Academy

Jarhead5811 and Cliff731 like this.
  12. ThatGuy

Well if that's the case go for it the prostaff lines are definitely good. You won't be disappointed

94LEVERFAN, Jarhead5811 and Cliff731 like this.
  13. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

14. steve2112

steve2112 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Clinton
    I've got a Prostaff Rimfire on my 10/22, and it works great.

Jarhead5811, rigrat and jakeg823 like this.
  15. DEADEYE 1

DEADEYE 1 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I own several Nikon scopes, a older Monarch and older BuckMaster scopes. They are bright and clear. I may give the Vortex a try in the future.
    Also I have had a Swift on a Ruger for 15 years. It is a dang good scope. You can buy a premier Swift for around 220 dollars. It has been a Buck killer on my 308.

16. Rodekill

Rodekill Full Poster

Own two the p-223 and the p-308. Both are BDC second focal plane. They are on my ARs. They work great and BDC I have found to work very well for the most part. They even have a free ballistics app that is very good.
    I also have an Athlon for my LR rifle. And Athlon has proven to be a top notch scope with the best warranty in the business.

You won’t go wrong with a Nikon

Jarhead5811, tWillis and rigrat like this.
  17. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo Distinguished Poster

My advice, look through a scope before buying it. Everyone's eyes are a little different and what works well for one person may not for the next person.

That said Nikon makes a descent entry level scope. At that price point the playing field seems to be pretty level; to my eyes anyway.

18. tWillis

tWillis Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

my experience: Nikon glass is better/brighter in low light.

19. DEADEYE 1

DEADEYE 1 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I believe that Nikon changed 2 scopes in the last several years. It used to be Buckmasters was the 2nd line with a 3x9x40mm for around 200 dollars. The top of the line was Monarch. The previous Buckmasters seems to be a 3rd line now with Prostaff being number 2. I bought my Son one of the older Buckmasters, it was very bright and clear and we still have it today. Whenever I have the chance to buy a gun with a Nikon on top, I am happy. I have 2 or 3 Nikons and rate them up there in quality to be about equal and a little brighter than the Leupold scopes that I own. That is my opinion from shooting rifles with scopes over the last 40 years. Good luck.

rigrat likes this.
  20. Quickeye

Quickeye Vietnam&PersianGulf Wars MSGO Supporter

To amplify on Rogue's perspicacious post, there's mounting issues that produce proper eye relief as well.
    Since taking your rifle into the gun shop and "trying the scope on for size" is frowned on. A thorough review of the scopes specifications, (that includes eye relief and overall scope length) would be appropriate.
    Buy the wife a gift with your work rewards, and get yourself a really good scope.

jakeg823 likes this.