close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

"NO FIREARMS" sign on Warren County Courthouse doors---legal?

Discussion in 'Mississippi Concealed Carry' started by NRA_guy, Dec 24, 2017.

1. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Distinguished Poster

Yeah, I will do that. I knew there was some guy who takes action in such cases (if it actually is a violation), but I couldn't remember his name.

I thought he was a MSGO member and might chime in . . .

Thanks.

rigrat likes this.
  2. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

Yep used to be doesn't get on here now.

3. mascott

mascott Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Don't blame him. But with the badges he may have brought some of it upon his self. YMMV

bubbat likes this.
  4. Dukhntn

Dukhntn Distinguished Poster

The once or twice a year I have to go in there I just walk right past it and ignore it. Been doing that for years there.

94LEVERFAN, deadhead and NRA_guy like this.
  5. NRA_guy

I think the deputies would stop you only if you were open carrying.

"Concealed means concealed."

6. Chris Boyd

Chris Boyd Distinguished Poster

SW MS
    As a real estate title abstractor and foreclosure agent, I make my living in the court houses of Mississippi and carry concealed at all times. These “orders” have been popping up in more and more counties over the last few years. The wording, and typos, in these orders is almost identical. This leads me to believe that the judges are just passing around the same order to be signed and posted. I have only once been forced to return my CCW to my car because of one of these orders and that was while trying to access the Forrest County Courthouse in Hattiesburg. In his defense, he was simply doing his job and was genuinely apologetic about it. I’ve filed two complaints with the AG but haven’t heard a word in regards to either of them. Someone on a different thread here at MSGO said that the AG was likely to ignore my complaints because they are dealing with a judges order as opposed to a city/county ordinance.

7. para40

para40 Sr. Curmudgeon MSGO Supporter

Lamar Co.
    The AG's job is to deal with the law,
    there's the problem.

8. Chris Boyd

SW MS
    Our current AG is the problem. Closet liberal anti-gunner. Or maybe, not so closeted.

maxhush, SLBcmtr, rigrat and 6 others like this.
  9. 94LEVERFAN

94LEVERFAN Distinguished Poster

Think I posted this before, if so, oh well. Had to go to Rankin County Jail to retrieve a dumbass,(kid) took 2 >380's out and left them in truck. Forgot about the S&W .40 on my hip, OC. Tee shirt semi covering it. Nobody noticed, nobody saw it. Non event. And no, I no longer even bother to read a damn sign.

10. Chris Boyd

SW MS
    I regularly bypass the signs and these posted “orders”. But the counties that have posted these have begun, with increasing regularity, placing metal detectors and/or wand carrying deputies at the entrances. Makes it difficult to ignore them. I’ve read recently that there will be a push this year in the state legislature to more strictly define the laws so as to put a stop to these judges subversive behaviors. I hope that’s true, because I do not believe our current AG has any interest in defending our 2A rights any more than he’s forced to. Here’s to hoping he won’t win if he runs for governor.

maxhush and NRA_guy like this.
  11. NRA_guy

Yeah, no doubt they want metal detectors at all the doors.

The order even says, "IT IS FURTHER ORDERED AND ADJUDGED that upon appropriation of funds by the Board of Supervisors, that consistent with his statutory duties relative to courthouse security, the Sheriff of Warren County shall be and is hereby required to implement electronic screening procedures as soon as practicable to enforce compliance with this order."

I think I will see what Stephen Stamboulieh thinks about it.

We need to nip this in the bud, as Barney Fife used to say.

Chris Boyd and rigrat like this.
  12. NRA_guy

OK, I swapped email with Stephen Stamboulieh, a Mississippi attorney and very strong Second Amendment advocate.

He referred me to the details of the case filed by Rick Ward.

Here are all of the gory legal filings:

State of Mississippi Judiciary

It looks like the latest decision is that Rick lost in the Mississippi Court of Appeals.

Subsequently, Troy Peterson, the sheriff of Harrison County, filed a brief supporting the gun ban in the courthouse.

Stephen said that it will most likely be ultimately decided by the Mississippi Supreme Court.

13. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

Well go figure another court up held the judges from legislating from the bench.

94LEVERFAN, NRA_guy and para40 like this.
  14. Chris Boyd

SW MS
    It will take an act of the legislature to further define and expand upon the laws that are currently in place. Noting less will put an end to judicial overreach. It doesn't help that our judiciary is filled to overflowing with self obsessed, liberal, blowhard halfwits who feel themselves high and above the common man. It's disgusting the amount of unconstitutional stuff they are allowed to get away with.

NRA_guy, para40 and rigrat like this.
  15. NRA_guy

Yep. I heard a conservative guy on the radio recently saying that when the founding fathers set up the US, the courts (particularly the US Supreme Court) was envisioned as the weakest of the 3 branches because they had no power other than to interpret what the Executive Branch and Legislative Branch passed.

He said that in the early days the US Supreme Court only met every 2 years and they had no permanent office. They met in a small, unused room somewhere in the capital.

We've come a long way: the courts and the president (mostly Obama) now make laws. And they are allowed to get away with it.

The US, as created, is long gone.

16. Chris Boyd

SW MS
    I was once asked by an attorney client of mine, "Why do you carry a gun into the courthouse? Aren't the armed deputies enough for you?".

Today, I will be out and about in the performance of my duties as a Foreclosure agent for a reputable MS law firm (yes, I know that's an oxymoron). I was once told that this job entails "robbing and rooking old people out of their homes". It's not the best part of my job, certainly not a part that I enjoy, but it is still a part of my job. In the 20 years that I've been a foreclosure agent, I have, as you might expect, encountered many people who are none to happy to see me. Angry neighbors, disgruntled property owners, distraught relatives, and even the occasional protestor. This doesn't happen often. In fact, most of the time, it's just me and the wind, alone on the courthouse steps, talking to each other as I call out the notice of foreclosure and conduct my sale. On those rare occasions that someone is there to witness the sale, they are usually there to bid. But, on the extremely rare occasion that one of those other people show up, there is inevitably going to be some involvement by local law enforcement. In my 20 years calling foreclosures, I've thrice had knives drawn on me, been threatened with bodily harm more times than I have fingers to count with, and twice had guns drawn on me. So, there is my 1st reason to carry a gun into a courthouse. My 2nd reason reads like this, "For cash, to the highest bidder,". Now, in 20 years, I've sold at foreclosure fewer than 20 parcels of land to third party bidders. And of those 20 or so, most have paid with a cashiers check or some other certified funds, which is totally allowable. But on the few occasions where someone has actually paid cash, it has been to the sum of 10s of thousands of dollars. So that's me, leaving a courthouse, having been witnessed by God and who knows else, receiving many thousands of dollars in CASH. Can we say EASY TARGET?

So, there are two reasons I have for carrying my gun with me into a courthouse. I have many other; 2A, personal protection, etc. etc. So, my desire to see these judges put in their place and to see these orders tossed, is IMHO very well founded. I plan to petition my legislatures to introduce legislation this session to address the issue of these judges deliberately subverting the states laws and constitution, and I encourage everyone living in Mississippi to do the same. Let's put pressure on the capitol to do something about judicial overreach.

NRA_guy, 22lrfan, Doc and 1 other person like this.
  17. 94LEVERFAN

94LEVERFAN Distinguished Poster

Built a couple of buildings for a fireworks dealer around here 20 or 25 yrs ago. He normally left here with $400000 in cash and drove 4 states away. He paid $cash for 2 buildings on hgy 49.