Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Asking the combined wisdom of the group...I've never built an AR, if I buy a complete lower and a complete upper what else would I need? I've seen sales going on and thought it might be worth looking into building my own.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
14,321 Posts
Magazine(s) and a rear sight(if it has front post) is all I needed with my first PSA AR.

If you watch Palmetto State Armory’s email deals you could come up with a 556 one with a FN chrome lined barrel for what you’d pay for their lower end Freedom series. It’s still good stuff but if longevity is a concern then you want the chrome lined barrel over the stainless. Then again......if the AR bites you may do like me and move on from 223/556 into larger stuff......and not fire many 223/556 any longer. It’s been months since I’ve shot any of mine and even then,only to check function and make sure there’s no odd growth within. For whatever reason I’ve had issues with rusting flash hiders and corrosion on one rifle alone so I check all of them every once in a while.

As for building one......I used my first 223 as a teaching aid. Modified it,learned what made it tick and then built my own after that. Unless your after certain high end (read overly bloated priced) parts,buy a ready made from a trusted brand.

·
Premium Member
6,811 Posts
Asking the combined wisdom of the group...I've never built an AR, if I buy a complete lower and a complete upper what else would I need? I've seen sales going on and thought it might be worth looking into building my own.

Thanks
If the lower has a buffer, tube, and stock on it as some “complete” lowers do, then all you need to do is put the upper on the lower and slide the pins in. You will need some sort of sights if the upper doesn’t have any.

·
Premium Member
14,321 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,546 Posts
:yeah:
I would definitely spend the extra $15 on the lower and upgrade to the metal buffer tube.

·
Super Moderator
8,056 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts