close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

NOS TC Hawken 45 Flintlock.

Discussion in 'Mil-Surp/C&R/Black Powder' started by Don Goodman, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Don Goodman

Don Goodman Distinguished Poster

What do I need to go shoot this thing? Powder? Frizzen Pan Powder?, Powder Measure?

Thanks

2. TwangBanger

TwangBanger Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I would suggest contacting Forum member Doggoner (click here: doggoner)

He's the most knowledgeable one I know on matters of black powder shooting - flintlocks in particular.

We spent a while discussing this very subject at last weekend's Meet & Green at Sum Gy's place.

3. Vick

Vick Distinguished Poster

FF black powder for the main charge, FFFF black powder for the pan, balls, greased patches, patience...lots of patience! Flintlocks are fun to shoot, but there is a learning curve...they often misfire ("a flash in the pan"), always have a bit of a wait between the pan fireing and the main charge going off...just a fraction of a second, normally, but it can stretch to a true "hangfire", so keep the muzzle pointed downrange for a little while if it doesn't go off immediately. Back when I was fooling with flintlocks, Pirodex, etc., weren't sensitive enough to fire reliably, and I would assume that its still the same. Have fun! ;)

Don Goodman likes this.
  4. Don Goodman

Thanks all for the input. The gun was my 1st Christmas present to my wife - 1974. We took it to Baton Rouge Gun Club Christmas Day, shot probably fewer than 20 rounds. Cleaned it there with soap and water, dried it with help of portable hair dryer, oiled it up, wiped it down, put it back in box, and to my recollection never opened it again until this past week. Have since misplaced all measures, patches, balls, lube, powder, but still have gun and she wants to shoot it again.

22lrfan likes this.
  5. Don Goodman

Yeah - recollection is that once ready to fire, set trigger, whisper on trigger, hear pow (frizzen pan), wait a little then hear BOOM (barrel), and feel the push. Great exercise in the need for follow-thru, unless target is stationary.

Vick likes this.
  6. Vick

Vick Distinguished Poster

Fixed it for you! :)

Don Goodman likes this.
  7. Don Goodman

Thanks!

8. TwangBanger

TwangBanger Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Several years ago, the Mississippi legislature "changed the law", so that hunters are no longer required to use black powder guns during Primitive Weapon season.

Now, they are allowed to use center-fire smokeless powder cartridges, of caliber .35 or larger. This has caused a bump in sales of .35+ caliber rifles, i.e. .45-70 Gov't, etc.

The down-side, is that since the law change, most all sporting goods retailers from Wal-Mart to Academy, have basically stopped stocking black powder accessories. Folks who shoot black powder "for fun" (like me), now have to get all of our lead round balls, ball starters, percussion caps, black powder (or Pyrodex or 777), measures, flasks, jags, patchworms, etc. from the internet. We can't just run down to Walmart anymore to pick it up.

I did buy a couple yards of "pillow ticking" from Walmart's fabric department to use for patches. I lube them with spit. Since T/C #13 is no longer available locally, I've started using Formula 409 for a "between shot" bore cleaner. It was originally invented as a commercial solvent and degreaser for industries that struggled with particularly difficult cleaning problems.