Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this surprised me very much. When I was a member previously it was required...wonder why they dropped the requirement? At the "New-member orientation/safety meeting" (required to join) they did have a member/NRA representative there to offer memberships and make a compelling plea that every shooter should be a member. He sold a couple of memberships while I was there, but I still think it odd that its not a requirement any longer. Oh, by the way, I've been a Life Member for over 30 years.

·
Registered
31 Posts
When I joined the club in 1981, NRA membership was required and it continued that way until sometime after 1992. There were many prospective members that balked at NRA membership as a prerequiste to joining and the potential loss of revenue was probably the driving force in the club changing that requirement. A big mistake, in my opinion. They were fairly backward up there during that time and all they saw was members=$. The mission statement of the club says promote the shooting sorts (paraphrased) but except for the 4H program, I don't see it. I offered to teach hunter ed there and tried to get an NRA Women on Target program off the ground and was told "maybe later". The new leadership seems to be more open to some new things and maybe it will work out for them. I'll help if they get something going but I'm through offering suggestions. I can't believe that they cannot see that getting NEW shooters (especially women) interested in the sport is the only way to promote the 2nd Amendment and controls the future of gun ownership. The club can also get benefits for being a 100% NRA club in the form of grants and membership kickbacks. I still shoot there but can't figure them out.

·
Waffennarr
8,898 Posts
100% NRA Club has its benefits

S61 said:
"...The club can also get benefits for being a 100% NRA club in the form of grants and membership kickbacks..."
The Southwest Gun Club in McComb, MS is a 100% NRA Club. This is a membership requirement.
Since we are a 100% NRA club, we as a club have benefited greatly from NRA grants and discounts; we have funded many projects with grants from the NRA, including among others our indoor airgun range, club pistols, muzzle loading rifles, centerfire rifles, and shotguns for youth programs; Women on Target programs on a regular basis, and more. We have purchased a trap machine and are in the planning stage of building a trap range to ATA standards. Having the indoor ranges for airgun competition and classes, as well as the soon-to-be-constructed ATA-compliant range for trap is a consistent revenue stream for the club, which allows us to maintain the club and ensure its future.
The benefits to a club are tremendous and since (IMO) the NRA is the most visible organization promoting 2nd Amendment rights, I see no reason not to join. I would encourage any club to implement a requirement that members join the NRA. There is an annual membership available for only $10 without magazine subscription, that is only about $0.833 per month, so it is not that much of a burden (IMO) for a person who is interested in the shooting sports to support the NRA.
Phillip Zinke
Executive Officer, Southwest Gun Club
McComb MS

·
Registered
57 Posts
S61 said:
The mission statement of the club says promote the shooting sports (paraphrased) but except for the 4H program, I don't see it.
The club hosts ATA registered shoots the first Saturday of every month, several large NSSA registered skeet shoots a year, a USPSA pistol shoot the second Saturday of every month, a 3 gun match the third Saturday of every month that draws shooters from all over the region, a special night pistol shoot the fourth Saturday of every month, as well as monthly IR 50/50 matches and rimfire silhouette matches. They are also working on standing up a SASS club and having a monthly Cowboy Action Shoot. This all in addition to the state 4H shoots that bring in hundreds of kids, and the two or three Appleseed events a year that bring in new shooters. On top of all that, they sponsor a few Friends of NRA events.

The club can also get benefits for being a 100% NRA club in the form of grants and membership kickbacks. I still shoot there but can't figure them out.
The club is doing pretty good without having to rely on outside grants and kickbacks. In the last year the amount of improvements to the range has been staggering. Aside from the addition of the new well, the paving and the lights/electrical work throughout, they just added a second ATA trap field to the existing three NSSA skeet fields (one with lights), three rifle ranges, a shotgun range, and three pistol bays. They are also putting in a new IR 50/50 range and a new pistol range in the coming months. Not to mention starting to offer the RSO course instruction and my personal favorite is the dedicated maintenance staff so there isn't any range workdays. The three year plan also includes constructing a new trap pavilion similar to the skeet pavilion, a new main clubhouse, a pistol range clubhouse, etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.