1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NY Times had to pull this cartoon after widespread criticism:
Times criticized for running admittedly anti-Semitic cartoon - CNN
I am not surprised.
Way back in 1980 I was at a college conference on 'racism' at USM; there was a delegation of (very attractive) young ladies from Long Island, NY there, and we all went out for some adult beverages and a bite to eat. Once they'd had a few too many to drink, one proceeded to lecture us as to how we (Mississippi students) should be ashamed of ourselves for how we treat the black man. She then went on to say, and I quote verbatim, "what you really should be concerned with are the god-d*mned Jews!" By that time I had had enough of the NY attitude, I said "Sieg Heil, b&tch" and walked back to the dorm. Too bad, they thought my Mississippi accent was "cute". Oh well.
I don't think she nor her Long Island friends got it, and I didn't care - this article reminds me of how racist NE yankees are...

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Made me think about the old B.J. Thomas hit "Eyes of a New York Woman". But, my preference has always been the southern belles. Son graduated from West Point, so we made several trips to New York. Actually met some pretty sensible people upstate. However, they become scarce as hen's teeth as you get closer to the City. Their Klansmen are just clothed in egotistical Liberalism rather than sheets.

·
Premium Member
27,266 Posts
Actually met some pretty sensible people upstate. However, they become scarce as hen's teeth as you get closer to the City. Their Klansmen are just clothed in egotistical Liberalism rather than sheets.
I think that's the case in many Blue States. I'm thinking WA (Seattle and Olympia); OR (Portland and Eugene/Salem); CA (San Francisco and LA); TX (Dallas, El Paso and Houston), IL (Chicago); MN (Mpls-St Paul and Duluth), PA (Pittsburgh and Phila.), CO (Denver, Boulder and Colorado Springs) …

Well, you get my drift. Those cities are the heavily populated centers, however/unfortunately, so they make the laws.

·
Curmudgeon extraordinaire
8,082 Posts
And yet they revel themselves.

Hope I spelled everything thing right,
correct context and all.

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
13,084 Posts

correct context and all.
..................... :yeah:

"They" consider themselves enlightened... and somehow better than lesser humans. :(

And have drank excessively from their own cup... o_O

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I think they made mistake , the leash should be in the other guy's hands. Nope just more disinformation to confuse the masses.
No, it was intentional: to show a "blind" President Trump being "led" by his Jewish 'dog'.
The fact that the dog is a Dachshund shouldn't be overlooked either...there are 3 layers here. I have to give it to the b&stard who did the cartoon, he knew how to work in some real layers of subtle anti-semitism in a simple cartoon, very skilled racism there. Typical NY stuff (see OP).
Our son commissioned / graduated from the US Merchant Marine Academy. We went up to Long Island - the academy is at Kings Point, Long Island, technically Great Neck NY. The cabbies & other native-born Americans* who dealt with us were surprised that we were from Mississippi. I can't tell you how many times I heard "you don't sound like you're from Mississippi" and my dear w&fe had to hit me in the arm, or our son had to say "dad..." to keep me from responding in the manner I wished to do so...
*No one in a service position - hotel, restaurant, convenience store, etc. - spoke English as a first language. They were nice. Native New Yorkers, people from Queens (we stayed in Bayside) were the stereotypical NY Arschlöcher that one always hears of. Very rude. I posted at the time, if I never have to set foot in NYC or Long Island for the rest of my life, I will die without missing a thing.

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

correct context and all.
I hate to go all linguist/teacher, but "...they reveal themselves".
But, my friend, everyone knows exactly what you mean and I do agree as well!

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
13,084 Posts
But, my friend, everyone know exactly what you mean and I do agree as well!
I dunno, HerrZnk... something tells me that Para40 intended the use of "revel" in his statement... :)

e.g. - as in the NYT are quite full of themselves... and published this "political cartoon" with much self celebratory tone on their part (and rendered in a totally offensive manner to others with little regard or responsible forethought happening).

In that manner, does such "match" up with the word "revel"??? :confused:

But of course, they have also "revealed" themselves too!!! :101010::101010::101010:

·
Curmudgeon extraordinaire
8,082 Posts
But, my friend, everyone knows exactly what you mean and I do agree as well!
Intentional,
for another member.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts