Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NYC Knife Case Headed To Supreme Court - Bearing Arms

Knife Rights is going forward with an appeal to the Supreme Court of the United States of the Second Circuit’s decision in favor of New York City and District Attorney Cyrus Vance, Jr. in our long-running civil rights lawsuit over their persecution of pocket knife owners.

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg last week granted us a 60-day extension until January 13th, 2019, for submission of our petition for a writ of certiorari asking the Court to hear our appeal.

While our lawsuit against New York City and DA Vance centers on their abusive enforcement of New York State’s gravity knife ban against owners of common pocket knives, the focus changes somewhat as it moves to the Supreme Court. Keep in mind that the Supreme Court does not generally agree to hear a case just because any particular decision in a case is unjust, irrational or just plain terrible, all of which describe this ruling in spades.

Beyond settling major constitutional issues, the Court will sometimes choose to resolve differences in the application of Federal law among different Federal circuit courts when its decisions are not applied the same throughout the U.S. The Second Circuit panel’s ruling regarding our constitutional vagueness claim in this case opens up that possibility with starkly split decisions between it and other circuits, as well as splits between a number of state courts. The writ explains why this case is important and worthy of the Court’s limited time.

While all this is important for knife rights activists, there always exists a potential for gun rights to be expanded by the Court.

After all, New York City heavily restricts pretty much all arms. Should the Court decide to lower the boom on that as a whole, gun rights open up throughout the city. To call it a significant victory would be a massive understatement.

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
After "acceptance day" on which our son went from 'plebe candidate' to "Midshipman" we went to get on the Long Island Railroad, and since we were going to several destinations at which we knew we'd go through security, he (in uniform) suddenly "remembered" :rolleyes: that he had his large academy-issued navy knife in his pocket, which he was required to carry while doing exercises on ships such as the Kings Pointer, etc. in Long Island sound and off the North Atlantic coast. We stashed it at the train station in the Queens neighborhood of Bayside and got on the train. Got to Penn Station and wow there were metal detectors, NG troops with M4s and M9 pistols everywhere. 4 guys were at one gate and when we walked by for the 4th time (we got lost) one of them stepped up to speak to me but I just smiled and kept walking...
We picked up his knife when we got back to Bayside.
NYC is on high alert y'all, and I don't blame them, after September 11th, but still, I got a feeling that I was in a police state, or some sort of third world country. None of the employees at the businesses we went to were native speakers of English. None. I am not exaggerating.

·
Premium Member
27,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After "acceptance day" on which our son went from 'plebe candidate' to "Midshipman" we went to get on the Long Island Railroad, and since we were going to several destinations at which we knew we'd go through security, he (in uniform) suddenly "remembered" :rolleyes: that he had his large academy-issued navy knife in his pocket, which he was required to carry while doing exercises on ships such as the Kings Pointer, etc. in Long Island sound and off the North Atlantic coast. We stashed it at the train station in the Queens neighborhood of Bayside and got on the train. Got to Penn Station and wow there were metal detectors, NG troops with M4s and M9 pistols everywhere. 4 guys were at one gate and when we walked by for the 4th time (we got lost) one of them stepped up to speak to me but I just smiled and kept walking...
We picked up his knife when we got back to Bayside.
NYC is on high alert y'all, and I don't blame them, after September 11th, but still, I got a feeling that I was in a police state, or some sort of third world country. None of the employees at the businesses we went to were native speakers of English. None. I am not exaggerating.
cg-uoq3xaaab4wp.jpg

·
Rational Anarchist
14,498 Posts
I was raised to believe that a real man always carries a knife. I rarely have less than two on me at any given time and usually have three.

When one of the guys at work ask to borrow my knife I give them hell about not being real men. I don’t give the women that ask to borrow a knife any trouble.

The idea that a pocket knife could get you into that kind of trouble is just short of mind boggling to me.

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
I would hate to live and/or work in NYC!
Yep, for more reasons than the people...
Our son hooked up with a Long Island girl for a while (but dodged that bullet) and when she came down here I was b*tching about our property taxes on 4 acres and a house going up to >$400 she was SHOCKED, said her parents paid over $20,000 in property taxes/year. I saw photos of her house, it was a tiny 2 story with a yard smaller than my bedroom. Why the h*ll do people want to live up there? I hated New York City. Everywhere we went smelled like New Orleans on a Sunday morning in the French Quarter.
It was filthy.
No one I had to deal with was a native speaker of English.
The 9/11 museum was impressive and at the same time the most depressive place I have ever been in my life, save for the concentration camp at Dachau.
I literally got motion sickness riding in cabs (yes plural).
I can go to my grave without ever going to NYC again, and I will be a happy man. I won't miss a thing about the experience.

·
Premium Member
27,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Our son hooked up with a Long Island girl for a while (but dodged that bullet) and when she came down here I was b*tching about our property taxes on 4 acres and a house going up to >$400 she was SHOCKED, said her parents paid over $20,000 in property taxes/year. I saw photos of her house, it was a tiny 2 story with a yard smaller than my bedroom.
And THAT'S why all of the Blue State politicians -- D and R --are against the Trump tax reforms and cuts. The now non-deductibility of local property and state income taxes over a certain dollar limit.

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
Or … go to school there either!
It was an adventure for a young Midshipman who spent 95% of his time on base at the USMMA campus, on Long Island (Great Neck); exciting of course to be 18-22 years old up there. Not for me. No way.

Reactions: 7557

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
I was raised to believe that a real man always carries a knife. I rarely have less than two on me at any given time and usually have three.

When one of the guys at work ask to borrow my knife I give them hell about not being real men. I don’t give the women that ask to borrow a knife any trouble.

The idea that a pocket knife could get you into that kind of trouble is just short of mind boggling to me.
My most common thing is "Mr. Z can you sharpen my pencil?"
I don't carry a knife, it's a Kershaw Blur pencil sharpener.

·
Premium Member
27,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
5,725 Posts

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
The smell that wafts up from an NYC subway entrance during a cold morning is something to be avoided. Standing at the front of the platform with everyone behind shoving at you before the train arrives, seemingly trying to shove you to fall over the edge and down onto the tracks is like something from a Hitchcock movie.

·
Premium Member
27,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The smell that wafts up from an NYC subway entrance during a cold morning is something to be avoided. Standing at the front of the platform with everyone behind shoving at you before the train arrives, seemingly trying to shove you to fall over the edge and down onto the tracks is like something from a Hitchcock movie.
Only experienced that smell and feeling in NYC subways two times. Two times, too many.

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
Yeah imagine descending into that in the middle of July. It's worse.
We watched a TV show on Discovery or NatGeo or one of those channels about "if humans were gone". One of the first things they said would happen is that NYC and Long Island's buildings would all start to collapse, as the only thing holding the whole NYC infrastructure in place is that the water is pumped away from the subway system 24/7. According to this show, after the zombie apocalypse (or whatever) the subways would all flood within a week or 2; then start collapsing. Then the basements of all the high-rise office buildings would start flooding. Then everything would start falling down.
Like I wrote previously, I can live the rest of my life without going to NYC and I will die a happy man.

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
Another thing about NYC and the surrounding area: if it were ever to be cut off, even by a natural disaster, they would be out of food in 48-72 hours. NYC is totally dependent on 24/7 supplies being trucked into the city. If someone wanted to cause a true calamity they don't have to fly jets into a high rise building, just cut off all routes into the city. People would be starving or dying from lack of meds, etc. very quickly. Especially if power were to fail, there's not much solar or wind power in the concrete canyons, so if that went away, you'd see a REAL disaster.

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
They have 3 lb squirrels up there, and they don’t know they are FOOD. A country boy can survive.
Yeah but when you see squirrels with rat tails - well, I'll pass.
Yes go to Central Park (if you must go to NYC Hades) and walk around a bit, you will see what I mean. I am not making this up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts